PDA

View Full Version : do mts snails chew on leaves?

smaug
09-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Im getting 1/4" semicircular holes in my amazon leaves,the only snails I have are mts .do they do that?I cant think of anything else that would be causing that damage.

Fishalicious
09-14-2008, 12:34 AM
I have hundreds of MTS in nearly all my tanks and not a hole to be seen on any of the plants....I see them on dying plant leaves now and again or on dead leaves. I think you may have another little snail in there playing hide & seek with you :hmm3grin2orange:

smaug
09-14-2008, 01:24 AM
Little bugger.
Ive never seen any other types in the past.You would think my yoyos would make short work of them.

Sounguru
09-14-2008, 02:48 AM
Sounds like Potassium defeniceny to me which can cause hole in leaf damage.

smaug
09-14-2008, 03:25 AM
Sounds like Potassium defeniceny to me which can cause hole in leaf damage.
I dont think so in this case.Its a very neat cut hole,only 1 or so per leaf.I dose with pottasium as well as all the macros as well.

Sounguru
09-14-2008, 03:34 AM
Well MTS never eat healthy leaves.... Potassium holes start out as small pin holes and get bigger over time and they are almost perfectly round from my experience and not widely spread.

Have you tested your Potassium levels just out of sheer pondering?

So if you rule out Potassium then I would say you have another critter somewhere in the tank maybe an aquatic leaf cutting ant?

smaug
09-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Well MTS never eat healthy leaves.... Potassium holes start out as small pin holes and get bigger over time and they are almost perfectly round from my experience and not widely spread.

Have you tested your Potassium levels just out of sheer pondering?

So if you rule out Potassium then I would say you have another critter somewhere in the tank maybe an aquatic leaf cutting ant?
Yeah guru,that must be it,I have a new species.No i haven't tested for potassium,I suppose it could be slightly deficient.I do keep a close eye on my plants for signs of nutrient deficiency's and I have not seen any pin hole.I also suppose it could be an overzealous plec.

Sounguru
09-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Now that might be but most plesc damage I haeve seen are on the edges....

I'm still trying to find if there is something that maybe causing it because my swords have the same problem but I admit I don't dose with potassium. So maybe is we find the critter in your tank we can find the one in mine....