PDA

View Full Version : Predator Tank questions

soldier-sailer
09-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Hello, I have a friend with a 150 Gal tank that is wanting to start up a FOWLR with Predator Fish (he has all equipment;ie. Filtration, skimmer, etc.). He needs stocking suggestions. Any feedback or ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

cocoa_pleco
09-13-2008, 08:14 PM
what does he like? personally i would get a large volitan lionfish

soldier-sailer
09-13-2008, 08:17 PM
By the way, the tank dimensions are approx L48XW24XH30

unleashed
09-13-2008, 08:34 PM
if he wants to spend the money, he could for a polleni grouper. These are beautiful fish and stay relatively small for a grouper.

Tigerbarb
09-13-2008, 11:36 PM
With 150 gallons, you could get a lionfish, and a trigger, or a moray eel and the trigger. Idk, but maybe all three. With a 150g predator tank, you should still try to be very conservative with space.

Goldbarb? _______
lol

ILuvMyGoldBarb
09-14-2008, 01:50 AM
I agree with the idea of the Lion, that would be a nice idea along with a smaller Trigger. Some of them do get rather large but the Niger Trigger or the Picasso Trigger would be good choices as well. Avoid the Clown Trigger and the Bluelined Trigger, both of those get too big for that tank. A Clown Trigger would be fine in a 6' 180gal tank but not in a 4' 150 gal tank. Moray Eels for the most part get too big for that tank by far. There are some that are appropriate. For that tank you could get the Chestnut Moray, Whitemouth Moray, or Richardson's Moray. The rest of them really get too large for that tank. The common Snowflake Eel gets to be 30" long and is too big for that tank. That tank would also work well for a couple of the smaller puffers as well.

With only 150 gallons to work with, that tank needs to be limited to just a couple of fish. The bioload of a predator tank is very very high for a marine tank. In order to keep the fish healthy it is necessary to keep the number of fish low.