PDA

View Full Version : To Plant or not to plant?

nraposa
01-05-2007, 05:59 AM
Here's my plan I want to get a 55 gallon setup I want to go with swords, tetra's, mollies, and cory's Maybe some guppies, i'm still debating this. Now I know that I can get more fish in the tank because i'm going with smaller fish, I also want to give them their own territories so I know i'll need plants.

It just seems to that real plants seem like alot of work and upkeep. And Fake Plants seem really plasticy and generic.

what do you guys think? what do you guys have as for as plants real or fake?

Will a big tank look generic with plastic plants?

I'm really stuck on this one I'm trying to plan everything out before I start anything.

kimmers318
01-05-2007, 12:44 PM
There are so many variables and information needed to successfully have a live planted aquarium, so do plenty of research before you start putting plants in or you are liable to end up with a bunch of dying rotting plant material in your tank. There are several low light/low maintenance that you might want to try first. Yes, most plastic plants look quite fake, but I have found that the silk ones look much better, and with the weighted "rock" they are attached to stay put much better than the plastic with the plastic base you have to bury in the gravel. They sway nicely in the currents and are softer on fish who might want to hide in their leaves.

patrice
01-05-2007, 02:30 PM
once you tried live plants, you'll never go back to plastic plants. Yes, that's true, you could read about the subject for years before even know 1/2 of what you should. but do you need to know everything before to start? If you want a good base and start well, I suggest you to read this article:

http://www.barrreport.com/estimative-index/62-estimative-index-dosing-no-need-test-kits.html

It is as simple as preparing cereals for breakfast and it work well.

jeffs99dime
01-05-2007, 02:57 PM
live plants all the way!