PDA

View Full Version : Pond snails in my aquarium?

billcollins531
09-12-2008, 07:13 PM
I've got some diatom filth in my aquarium that I need to get rid of. It looks like the common diatom algae, though my otocinclus and Mystery snail won't eat it. It's growing fast, too!

The creek in my back yard is most certainly diatom-infested as well. There are pond snails EVERYWHERE in the creek, and you can see their clean trails where they went through the algae.
Anyways, before I bore you too much with info you really don't need, let me get to the questions.
I want to get a (yes, only one) pond snail in my aquarium. Would his waste affect my aquarium "ecosystem" (because he was eating the crud in the creek)?? And also, can I just put one in there?
Could y'all give me some advice on anything related to pond snails in aquariums? Thanks so much for takin' the time to read this!!
Best regards,
billcollins531

Sounguru
09-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Pond snails from a source like a creek or lake can carry parasites, try to find one that was raised in the aquarium trade should not be too hard....

Now for the bad news it only takes one to breed.....:hmm3grin2orange: You'll soon have a swarm.

If you want a snail that is good on alage but doesn't breed in freshwater look at some of the freshwater Nerite Snails with the Zebra Nerite Snails being the top choice.

smaug
09-12-2008, 07:39 PM
If your tank is newer [under 4 months]that stuff will go away on its own as your ecosystem ages.If its not then check your water for phosphates.