PDA

View Full Version : Angelfish suddenly dying

Blue Guppy
09-12-2008, 06:09 PM
I wanted to post something that happened 8 months ago and wanted to know why.

I bought about 2 pairs of juvenile angelfishes and introduced them slowly to my community tank that consisted at that time red eye tetras, guppies, leopard catfishes and a few chinse algae eaters.

After 6 days the angelfishes died one by one but my other fishes are ok as before. Any clues as to why this happened?

Thanks

Sharkman
09-12-2008, 06:12 PM
how did you acclimate them to the tank specifically?

Blue Guppy
09-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Once I got home, I placed the plastic bag in the aquarium and left it like that for 10 minutes, after which I slowly transferred them to the tank one by one.

After a day or two, they were already eating foods that I normally feed my other fishes like frozen brine shrimps, cyclopes, spilurina, and flakes. They eat haertily but after 6 days, they started dying one by one.

Sharkman
09-12-2008, 07:38 PM
what size tank?

smaug
09-12-2008, 07:40 PM
What are your water parameters?BTW,the type introduction to did is really insufficient,its not just temo they need to get used to.I use a large bucket and slowly add tank water to it over a period of an hour or so.Some go much further then that.
ph
nitrates
nitrites
ammonia
temp

Blue Guppy
09-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the advices.

My tank size is 20 gallons.

Under normal circumstances, my water ph is between 6.8 to 7.0 and water temp at 75 degrees.

Hmm have not tried that approach. will try it when new fishes are introduced in the tank.

Thanks again.

smaug
09-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Do you know your nitrates and nitrites and ammonia.How long has this tank been in operation?Sorry to say that a 20 gal is no place for angels,35 is minimum.

Blue Guppy
09-12-2008, 08:57 PM
At that time I bought those fishes, the tank was about4 to 5 months old since I had a thorough cleaning and I do water changes once every 2 days, so with that, I should say my nitrates and ammonia level would be low.

smaug
09-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Do you have testing supplies?

Blue Guppy
09-12-2008, 09:45 PM
At the moment all I have is a ph testing kit. I also have in hand ammonia remover fizzer by Jungle Products. I don't know if this helps.

smaug
09-13-2008, 01:09 AM
no point in adding any water adjusters if you dont know what needs adjusted?Get a quality master test kit that covers all the parameters and find out what is wrong before you make attempts to fix something that may not exist.

Gayle
09-13-2008, 02:32 AM
When I was little my parents had a huge tank full of Angels, but I was only allowed to see from a distance. She told me that they were very sensitive fish, and that me being little and jumping around would scare them to death. I have no clue if that is true, LOL. I just remembered being told that for years.

smaug
09-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Angels have a bad rep for being overly sensitive,years ago with so many wild caught fish that may have been true.Today they are only a bit more sensitive then other sa cichlids.Good water quality is a must as is having proper room.Dont consider angels if you dont have at least 35gal.They can be started in a 20 gal but shouldnt live there more then a few months.

gunk
09-13-2008, 03:31 PM
I have a friend who works at PetSmart and he said whenever they get a shipment of Angels, at least half of them die in the store within a week, and most that get sold are returned to the store dead. So I guess they really are sensetive fish.

smaug
09-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Not so much sensitive as mishandled.

Algenco
09-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Not so much sensitive as mishandled.

Dead on! I raise and sell Angels to local shops, neither they or their customers have lost even one.

Blue Guppy
09-13-2008, 07:16 PM
I have a feeling that the ones I bought might have hormones injected or ingested in them...very much so to what happened to my GBR's that were imported from Asia. I've had angelfishes in the past and they are very hardy but have never experienced something like this.