PDA

View Full Version : Black beard algae?

Alfcea
09-12-2008, 01:56 AM
How do you recognize black beard algae when it is just starting? I have a stone covered in Java moss and green spot algae, but a couple of days ago I noticed that there were some black/purple spots... Well, they are getting bigger every day... They are on the rock, though. Not on the leaves... Is it BBA?

smaug
09-12-2008, 02:52 AM
bba looks like little brushy dots,get it under control early or you will regret it.If its just on small rocks now take the rocks out and use a weak bleach solution,it will kill it dead.If its on items in your tank you cant remove,get seachem excel and spot treat with a syringe.

Alfcea
09-12-2008, 02:38 PM
How about 3% H2O2? It's weird that it not yet attacking the Java moss... but it may just be a matter of time. I'll follow your advice and treat it this evening or tomorrow... Is it true that it can kill plants? Thanks, smaug!

Algenco
09-12-2008, 03:50 PM
How about 3% H2O2? It's weird that it not yet attacking the Java moss... but it may just be a matter of time. I'll follow your advice and treat it this evening or tomorrow... Is it true that it can kill plants? Thanks, smaug!

3% H2O2 is very effective, apply directly with a syringe

Alfcea
09-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Will it be completely effective if I just spot treat it? I mean, how likely is that the spores have already been spread all over the tank? Is that possible? The spots aren't very big yet...

smaug
09-12-2008, 07:51 PM
I have never used peroxide but many do with good results.It can kill the plants if it gets bad enough.In its worse state it will cover the edges of leaves and work its way inward.

Alfcea
09-13-2008, 01:33 AM
Wow! I just tried the hydrogen peroxide and it worked like a charm! I hope I didn't use too much, though... tried 10 mL in a 30 gal tank and just spot treated...I'm amazed! Thanks Algenco and Smaug! After turning the lights back on, I could see the H2O2 decomposing, so I guess that is it. I will wait for at least a week just in case I need to treat again (hopefully not!)

Thanks!

Algenco
09-13-2008, 01:36 AM
treat it again in a day or so

botanicalbill
09-15-2008, 03:46 AM
http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/aquainfo/algae_peroxide2.html