PDA

View Full Version : pleco eating enough or not. .

Sin
01-05-2007, 02:52 AM
heyy hi there . .i have several tinfoil barbs and 3 pacus and 4 sharks that usually smell the sprinalla discs i feed my pleco and they end up eating them instead of the pleco....i do this when it isnt dark yet so that i can see with my own eyes that the pleco is eatin so i can be satisfied that hes well fed....well...i have been feeding the discs for the pleco in the dark now so that the other fishes hopefullly will not locate them .....but i am not able to keep track of the plecos feedings this way.....does any one have any advice so that i can feed my pleco and be satisfied....the other fish eat plenty trust me , but they are also greedy...i thought of getting a section divider to feed the pleco but that doesnt sound too practical to me since it would restrict the plecos movements . . .what are other options i can try? thnx for any help!

jeffs99dime
01-05-2007, 03:13 AM
you can use something like tongs and target feed him so you can ensure that he gets "singled out" so to speak. i use this method with frozen foods for my kribensis with a turkey baster. works well

Incredulous_Ed
01-05-2007, 03:19 AM
If you have had the pleco for sometime now and he is used to you being near, just hand feed him the discs. But if he doesn't want to take the discs from your hand, don't sweat it. He's probably getting enough to eat.

Sin
01-05-2007, 04:41 AM
well actually the pleco is kinda new to my tank and the tinfoli barbs have been in for two weeks. and the rest of the fish have been in the tank for few months. . i do see him sucking on the glass for algea but i want to make sure he gets other foods as well. . he is 8inches and loves to hide on the left side of the tank where i have set up a nice thick area of fake plants for hiding place....but at night time some of the other fish love to chill there as well..so this concerns me as they would hog up the discs...he probably is fine , but i want to make certain hes eating properly

kimmers318
01-05-2007, 05:36 AM
At 8"long you should be able to see by body size if he looks well fed or skinny. Feeding at night is what alot of people choose, and as long as you don't see him getting skinnier figure he is eating. Another sign would be the poo....plecos are notorious for their long poos....if he is eating he will poo.
Something you might want to try would be vegs....my plecs and my fish love zucchini, cucumbers and lettuce (cabbage wasn't too well enjoyed). A nice thick slice of zucchini will give the pleco something to munch on for a day or so...once he finds it he isn't likely to give it up too quickly. All of your fish will probably munch on it. Some people like to microwave or blanch the vegs just long enough to soften them....I just weight them down and drop in fresh....as they naturally soften in the water the fish will find it when it is at the softness they prefer.
A side benefit to the veg method is that if you have any pesty snails they will find the vegs and you can easily pick the whole piece up and discard the snails or find someone with a puffer who would love your donation!

Sin
01-05-2007, 06:18 PM
no doubt Kimmer . . .the veggies part musta slipped my mind...thanks for the reminder! altho the fish i have are greedy . . lol they will eat anything , they been eatin silversides and shrimp i feed the arrowanas along with their flake foods....but anyhows i will def give the pleco some veggies and see how that goes . . .reason being why i want to make sure hes eating well is because the last pleco i had was 12inches and fat and looked great ..this one isnt that fat and i want to make sure hes okay..altho he seems fine as time goes by he will gain more weight..i see him dart across the tank with speed so he is active and should be okay . . .thanks for all the great advice folks

Cichlid_Man
01-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Hi,
You have received some great advice here already.
I actually had the same problem with my pleco and Kimmers helped me too.
Mine, unfortunately didn't eat the veggies, but he did love the sinking shrimp pellets.
I had to switch to feeding mine in the morning instead of at night.
I would throw in the flake food the same time I would throw in the pellets.
This seemed to distract the other "hogs" in the tank and the pleco got his food.
Try a little bit of everything and I am sure you will have a healthy pleco.

Severus
01-06-2007, 05:48 AM
Although it is still too early to tell if my guy is eating alright a lot of this information has helped me out as well. And i intend on trying these different ideas. Thanks everybody.

Sin
01-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Although it is still too early to tell if my guy is eating alright a lot of this information has helped me out as well. And i intend on trying these different ideas. Thanks everybody.
ohh wow i checked up on the pleco last night and took a good look at him and he seems to have gained some weight and looks bigger then when i first got him! he seems to always be hiding so i couldnt get a good look as i leave him alone , but last night i seen him and i am happy to say he is looking good!.when the light comes on tho he darts for cover . . 100GW i wish you the best with your pleco! i think mines is a regular kind of pleco , altho my last one was a lepoard spotted pleco , anyhows he is beautiful to me :thumb:

Sin
01-06-2007, 07:15 PM
ohh wow i checked up on the pleco last night and took a good look at him and he seems to have gained some weight and looks bigger then when i first got him! he seems to always be hiding so i couldnt get a good look as i leave him alone , but last night i seen him and i am happy to say he is looking good!.when the light comes on tho he darts for cover . . 100GW i wish you the best with your pleco! i think mines is a regular kind of pleco , altho my last one was a lepoard spotted pleco , anyhows he is beautiful to me :thumb:
thanks for all the help!

Severus
01-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks a lot Sin. My guy looks nice and plump he is alos quite active so i think he is healthy. Im just going to make sure he gets plenty of food