PDA

View Full Version : Sexing Oscars

danthefishman
01-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Anyone know of a way to sex oscars without having to wait for them to breed, two of mine have been cleaning off their slate and vibrating their tails at each other for a week now. One seems a bit reluctant though and they mouth wrestle sometimes.

Fishguy2727
01-04-2007, 02:50 PM
It is very hrd to sex them. Some people who have experience can do a couple things to get them to show their breeding tubes, or whatever they are called. But it is best to wait and see which one lays the eggs, if you catch them in the act.

danthefishman
01-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Thought as much, i sit there and look at them and my red oscar has much shorter rounded fins than my tiger oscar but that could just be in the breeding. Do you know if its the male or female that does all the dispalying and chasing?

Fishguy2727
01-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Not sure, I would think male.

danthefishman
01-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Thought as much, cheers.

TehTANK
01-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Good luck man. I hope they go for it. I would love to see my oscars reproduce. I hope they do some day. Post some pictures of your oscars. I would love to see them.

AquaQueen
01-05-2007, 03:47 AM
Thought as much, i sit there and look at them and my red oscar has much shorter rounded fins than my tiger oscar but that could just be in the breeding. Do you know if its the male or female that does all the dispalying and chasing?
My hubby has two oscars and I have been wondering the same thing the only difference I notice was the rounder fins and the white one eats alot faster and alot more then the black one...lol

danthefishman
01-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Yeh! my tiger one does the same, and some times its like the other one is letting him have the food. I keep trying to put up pic's but not sure how, ill keep trying tho.