PDA

View Full Version : Fiter slowing down while cycling!

mrs fishpatrick
09-09-2008, 10:26 AM
I am in the proces of cycling my tank for the past couple of weeks and
my filter is noticably slowing down, now I have read that you shouldn't clean your filter while in the cycling proces but should I let it slow down that much till it stops?(the filter). Or should I clean it lightly with som water from my tank.
How often do you need to do water changes when cycling the tank
thanks for all your help.

Mvjnz
09-09-2008, 10:58 AM
It's just the sponge you can't clean, you can clean the tubes and any other plastic part all you want. And that's prolly where the problem is - blocked tubes.

If you're doing a fishless cycle you never need to do water changes, but if you have fish in there you'll prolly need to change the water every day.

fins_n_fur
09-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Something is strange if your filter has already slowed--normally they shouldn't at all unless clogged somehow. Which filter are you using for this tank?

mrs fishpatrick
09-09-2008, 01:34 PM
It is a magicjet filter, it should be big enoug for a 200 liter tank and it has been running for a few weeks only.
I do have some fish in there now for the last 48 hours, it is a bit of a long story because I went to a lfs and got the water tested and the guy asked me what kind of fish I was thinking of getting in there eventually,
I told them that I was hoping to get some blood parrot chichlids when my cycle was completed but for now I needed a hardy fish to help me do that, he sold me 2 african peocock chichlids :scry: for 25 euro a pop.

Went home and did my research on the internet and looked at all the compatibility charts avaiable and sure enough, the blood parrot wasn't compatible, so this morning, I rang them back and told them I would be bringin "dora" and 'Diego'(this is what my kids named them:hmm3grin2orange: ) back. They were trying to tell me that they were compatible but I take the word of fishkeepers over the word of a beedy eyed salesman.
So trying to get 2 very quick africans out of a 180 liter tank full of decorations was quite an experience but I managed eventually.
I now have 4 kribs in there instead. Lets hope they do well.

What I think might have happened is that some of the sand I put in this tank is stuck in the filter, I might just give it a light swirl in a bowl of water from the tank, nothing too major.

Thanks for all your help.

Lady Hobbs
09-09-2008, 04:08 PM
I doubt it's sand as sand will make the impellors grind and make a heck of a racket. Mine will slow down when the filter tube is plugged with gunk or something but your filter seems much to new for that problem yet. Check the strainer to make sure nothing is around it or impedding it's ability to pick up the water. Also check the filter inserts to make sure they are in correctly . If you pull them out and the filter pushes more water, you may have to adjust then.