PDA

View Full Version : My G/F's New Betta

LosC
09-08-2008, 03:54 AM
I'm assuming it's Fin Rot because his fins are becoming shorter, not at a rapid rate and they are still quite long. I've noticed the tips of Luckys fins are turning a light color.

It's set up is around 3 weeks old. I set it all up with some established media from my well established 20g tank, I introduced my media 2 days after Lucky was introduced. I have not tested the water yet.

Info: Only fish in a 5g filtered Marina tank, temp. 76-80F, 40% water change a week with double stress coat. Lucky eats NLS growth formula along with bloodworms 2-3 times a week. Lucky was a PetsMart Betta. Very active, responds well to food, has a bubble nest, besides the light colored tips of his fins his coloring in general is good.

I'm wondering if this is Fin Rot and what I can and should do.

Kayla-Bug
09-08-2008, 04:14 AM
Kinda sounds like fin rot to me. Try and get some jungle fungus eliminator. I have some of the stuff for my betta as he has blowed fins and it is helping dramatically. If you do get some of this stuff, you don't use the same dose as other meds usually recommend. It only takes a little for this stuff because it is kick butt.

radiant sea snail
09-08-2008, 07:06 AM
Are you cycling the tank currently? You can start with some aquarium salt for fin rot. Was there possibly an ammonia spike?

LosC
09-08-2008, 11:01 AM
There shouldn't be any ammonia since I added established media right??

saurjusa
09-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Established media is a good way to boost start cycle, but it doesn't mean you can skip cycle all together. You should test your water!

CAllain
09-08-2008, 05:22 PM
I'd say first test your water.

Finrot can be fungal or bacterial, but a lot of finrot meds will combat both. The only thing is you might need to avoid medicating if there is ammonia or nitrites in the water as sometimes, I've had very bad results from the mix of medication and ammonia.

radiant sea snail
09-08-2008, 05:47 PM
An ammonia spike happens during a cycle.

When you cycle with fish you must be sure to test the water more frequently to avoid the ammonia going up so high. Right now you either need to test that water and do more frequent water changes until you're cycled, or get the betta out and put him in an temporary container until you're done cycling. And of course treat him for fin rot.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
09-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Ramguy, what kind of decor do you have in the tank? Any kind of sharp decor can cause the fins to have this problem.

As far as the established media is concerned, adding well established media to a filter certainly can instantly establish the nitrogen cycle. If the bioload in your 20gal tank was more than one small betta then the bioload of the betta will be easily handled by the media you added.

Mvjnz
09-09-2008, 02:15 AM
Agreed, adding established media means there's no need to cycle, because the bacteria needed are already present. I've used this method multiple times and have never gotten ammonia or nitrite spikes.

Still a good idea to check tho, just in case.

radiant sea snail
09-10-2008, 12:17 AM
You need to test your water to confirm it has cycled. Sometimes the cycle may be instant or not depending on how much media you added.

LosC
09-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Ramguy, what kind of decor do you have in the tank? Any kind of sharp decor can cause the fins to have this problem.

As far as the established media is concerned, adding well established media to a filter certainly can instantly establish the nitrogen cycle. If the bioload in your 20gal tank was more than one small betta then the bioload of the betta will be easily handled by the media you added.

Decided to include a pic of her setup. The middle plant was removed day one before it could cause any problems, companies do not consider the health and safety of fish what so ever. I suspect the plant to the right, looks harmless but has a rough texture and the sides are not smooth. Thursday I'll be testing the water.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o305/truko_loko13/S8003042.jpg

Like to ad that for a few days Luckys temperature in his tank soared up to 83-85F, don't know if that would harm his fins in anyway.