PDA

View Full Version : No more flushing

William
09-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Todays news include that a new very strict animal cruelty law in Sswitzerland now bans the flushing of fish, require mandatory classes to own a dog and require people to keep more than one hamster. Read more about it:
No more flushing

(http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/../news/lib/111)
Switzerland also banned catch and release fishing. Deemed as animal cruelty.

Recreational fishing banned in Switzerland

(http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/../news/lib/112)
What doy ou guys think about these laws? Feel free to discuss it here or by leaving comments in the news section.

Red
09-07-2008, 06:11 PM
I left my comment for the first one :)

cocoa_pleco
09-07-2008, 06:19 PM
much needed laws, i agree with all of them

Tolley
09-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Awesome news rules hopefully other countries will take them on too.

pes142
09-07-2008, 07:01 PM
I don't mind the flushing rules, but i am disappointed that they banned fishing. That is quite simply ridiculous and i thank god that i don't live in switzerland.

tanks4thememories
09-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Todays news include that a new very strict animal cruelty law in Sswitzerland now bans the flushing of fish, require mandatory classes to own a dog and require people to keep more than one hamster. Read more about it:
No more flushing

(http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/../news/lib/111)
Switzerland also banned catch and release fishing. Deemed as animal cruelty.

Recreational fishing banned in Switzerland

(http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/../news/lib/112)
What doy ou guys think about these laws? Feel free to discuss it here or by leaving comments in the news section.

Alot of the disease research I am doing right now leads me to believe that it may be possible for Bacteria infecting a dead fish to survive being flushed and end up in the water supply. For humans it is kinda ok because we disinfect our drinking water. The creatures living in our waterways do not have this protection. Also when we flush aquarium treated water down our drains and toilets there is potential for increased release of bacterium and Viri that are resistant to medications.

Waste goes to the treatment plant ,is liquidized,any solids(cotton buds and stuff) removed by a coarse filter and put in a large pond to settle.The semi clean water is drained off and sprayed over a filtration medium,such as gravel or stone chips where bacteria dine on any organic particles (poop).The very near clean water is drained off into the environment at which point it is probably cleaner than the river it goes into
The sludge that remains can be used for agricultural fertilizer or burnt as a fuel substitute.

By flushing things down the toilet, Fish tank water from treated fish, especially chemicals (cosmetics, cleaning supplies and medications) will eventually end up in the water supply. Most water treatment plants are not designed to destroy or even remove these things from the waste water.

This is more of a concern for me than the rights of fish...lol

Gayle
09-09-2008, 09:22 PM
I like to remind people of the extra hormones being flushed, from birth control pills. It seems so small, and I guess we never consider what the effects really are, until it is too late.

Gayle
09-09-2008, 09:38 PM
I am in school right now to be a vet tech, our first real hands on training was done at our local animal control shelter. It made me very upset to see how many dogs were there, sick, hungry, dirty, abused, and neglected. There were also cats, pigs, horses, rabbits, and chickens. A lot of times people will get that cute little puppy from the pet store not realizing how large it may get, or the care needed. The cost of properly taking care of a pet is fairly high. With the combination of cost and poor education about pet care, a lot of animals get abused. I think it is an excellent idea to have mandatory pet education classes. I would like to think that would cut the numbers of animals getting euthanized at shelters each day in half.

Dubie
09-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Well, I can agree 100% with the fish flushing ban. I can also agree on the dog owner regulations, and the rules about keeping companions for social animals. But banning recreational fishing would be enough to make me boycot the country. After reading this, I'm never going to go to visit thier country...

Sounguru
09-09-2008, 10:12 PM
I say we all go to switzerland and go fishing... Now since you can fish if you plan to do something else with the fish but realease it. I say we have the biggest fish fry in the world. Now when the swiss wonder why there are no more fish we can offer to sell them some and make a sweet profit on the thing because we just return next year and do it all over again....

Too bad my state will be next, because my state thinks everything the Europeans do is the only moral thing for us to do....

tanks4thememories
09-09-2008, 10:19 PM
I say we all go to switzerland and go fishing... Now since you can fish if you plan to do something else with the fish but realease it. I say we have the biggest fish fry in the world. Now when the swiss wonder why there are no more fish we can offer to sell them some and make a sweet profit on the thing because we just return next year and do it all over again....

Too bad my state will be next, because my state thinks everything the Europeans do is the only moral thing for us to do....

umm do they have my fav there? 1" convicts?......rotfl

Sounguru
09-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Well I figure there can't be that many fish Swisstlebland isn't very big. ;-)

tanks4thememories
09-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Well I figure there can't be that many fish Swisstlebland isn't very big. ;-)

So that means no beer battered convict cichlids and hushpuppies with a side of slaw huh?:hmm3grin2orange:

Sounguru
09-10-2008, 02:05 AM
No but I'm sure they have some other small fish we can reap in the hArvest...

Gayle
09-10-2008, 02:47 AM
Hey swedish fish are good. Those red gummy candy things? LOL Just teasin. I am game, biggest fish fry in the world sounds fun!

Lady Hobbs
09-10-2008, 11:07 AM
I agree but sounds like a ho-hum law that's unenforceable. How would they know if you flushed a fish or not when the evidence is gone? Or if you have one hampster or 7. Sounds about like the law that you can't spit on the sidewalk.

William
09-10-2008, 11:28 AM
True. But it is likely adapted to change public view rather than actually being enforced. It is a common way to change what is accaptable among the public and it is expected that people should obey it from social pressure. It usually takes 10-20 years after a awis passed t get to that point.