PDA

View Full Version : Puffer Fish

derekpuffer
09-07-2008, 04:30 PM
My local shop is stating that in a 90 Ltr. tank (Roma 90) with an external filter I could keeptwo "Figure of eight" with one "Spotted green ".

1. can these be kept in the same tank.

2. Is 90 Ltr. big enough

3. the "Figure of eight" is carnivorous the "Spotted green" omnivorous when differant foods are put into the tank will this cause any problems.

4. I am told both species only require to be fed twice a week?

Can anyone help

I have kept tropical fish for over ten years including a Malawi Cichlid tank.

Thank you

NikkiGeezy
09-07-2008, 05:00 PM
they told me to feed my GSP once a day ands snail a week.

Fishalicious
09-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Figure of eight do best in freshwater or low brackish water.... GSP's start at low end brackish and end up at near full saltwater so waterwise they are not very suited.

GSP's will not tolerate another puffer in my experience other than their own kind which is also touch and go. Figure eights are the least aggressive of the puffers and may suffer beside a GSP.

Like all fish they should be fed daily and a supply of snails given frequently so they can keep their teeth worn down... if the teeth grow too long they can die as they are no longer to eat at all.

GSP's teeth grow faster so they will need more snails/crustations than the Firgure Eight.

If I were you I would pick one or the other although you have a better chance of a group of Figure Eights getting on well with each other than GSP's

robnepper
09-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Figure of eight do best in freshwater or low brackish water.... GSP's start at low end brackish and end up at near full saltwater so waterwise they are not very suited.

GSP's will not tolerate another puffer in my experience other than their own kind which is also touch and go. Figure eights are the least aggressive of the puffers and may suffer beside a GSP.

Like all fish they should be fed daily and a supply of snails given frequently so they can keep their teeth worn down... if the teeth grow too long they can die as they are no longer to eat at all.

GSP's teeth grow faster so they will need more snails/crustations than the Firgure Eight.

If I were you I would pick one of the other although you have a better chance of a group of Figure Eights getting on well with each other than GSP's
I second that. If you're new to puffers, don't try to get fancy and mix the breeds. One, or both, will surely die a nasty death. Puffers are also very intelligent and they are hunters. They need lots of things in the tank to check out and "hunt" around. I know that my two DPs are molluscivorous and therefore benefit from small snails for two reasons. 1.) it gives them some thing to hunt and 2.) It's nutritionally good for them. Mine do not have beaks that grow too much but yours will.

Have fun with them, but really do your research.

kaybee
09-07-2008, 10:07 PM
...the "Figure of eight" is carnivorous the "Spotted green" omnivorous...

I'd say that the green spotted puffer is highly carnivorous.

Fishalicious
09-07-2008, 10:19 PM
I´m also pretty sure all puffers are carnivorous - hence the teeth (beaks) to break shells