PDA

View Full Version : Crawdad proofing a tank.

OscarFan
09-06-2008, 11:48 PM
How would you go about doing this. I was thinking ceran wrap and some packing tape.

smaug
09-06-2008, 11:55 PM
What exactly do you mean?They cant climb glass.

Sounguru
09-07-2008, 12:32 AM
I use window screen mesh to seal mine. I make holes just big enoug for the airlines etc to run through.

OscarFan
09-07-2008, 02:34 AM
What exactly do you mean?They cant climb glass.

They are master escape artists.

Holyvision
09-07-2008, 03:45 AM
Yes, you need a tight fitting lid, they will get out if there is ANYTHING for them to fit through. I have a cobalt blue lobster named Frank, and I've found him under my bed, twice. I've never seen him do it (he knows I'm watching), but it hasn't happened since I started putting clamps on my versa-top :hmm3grin2orange:

They also will re-arrange your aquascape to their liking, so you don't want to spend too much time on rocks and plants. They will be able to move rocks that you would think are too big, commonly Frank will push all the rocks to one side of the tank, just to move it again the next day. Plants will be uprooted to their liking as well.

But, it's worth it, one of the best personalities imo.
--Holy

smaug
09-07-2008, 10:56 AM
My wife had 2 of them in an open top tank for 2 years in her classroom.They cant climb glass.If there is nothing in the tank for them to grasp they cant climb out.I suppose if you have hose or wires into the tank they could climb that.In that case fine screen as Soun has mentioned would be fine.