PDA

View Full Version : What now?

Aude
09-06-2008, 03:16 PM
So I have been cycling my 12 g aquarium for 4 weeks. Ammonia tests at 0, Nitrites are at 0, PH is at 7.6, and nitrates are at 10. I have not done any water changes and read that I should do a "big" water change...what does that exactly mean? 3/4? Also, I have a water filtration system at my home for filtering drinking water...would it be better to fill the aquarium with that as opposed to water straight from the tap?

Also, do I have to add any sort of dechlorination chemicals to the water?

gm72
09-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Your readings indicate the tank is cycled. Depending on the filtration system, I am here thinking maybe you mean a reverse osmosis system, you may or may not want to use the water from such. If it is RO, no need really. If you have city/public water (vs. a well) then yes, you'll need dechlorinator.

Alfcea
09-06-2008, 03:21 PM
I would do a 50% water change, and then you will be ready to add fish. In general, any concentration of nitrates below 20 ppm will be safe for fish. Tap water will be fine as long as you add a chemical to remove chlorine/chloramines which are harmful for the fish.

Aude
09-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Do you have any suggestions as to what water conditioner type chemical I should add? For instance, would something along these lines be okay?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754035

Red
09-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Thats what i use Aude... So i think its good :)
I would buy in bulk because it saves more money..

gm72
09-06-2008, 03:56 PM
A lot of folks use either the API or Seachem product. Agreed with buying in bulk. You'll use it all the time and save a lot of money over time.

Red
09-06-2008, 04:00 PM
I like aquaplus too.. and sometimes its cheaper

cathy_n
09-07-2008, 01:51 AM
So I have been cycling my 12 g aquarium for 4 weeks. Ammonia tests at 0, Nitrites are at 0, PH is at 7.6, and nitrates are at 10. I have not done any water changes and read that I should do a "big" water change...what does that exactly mean? 3/4? Also, I have a water filtration system at my home for filtering drinking water...would it be better to fill the aquarium with that as opposed to water straight from the tap?

Also, do I have to add any sort of dechlorination chemicals to the water?

Wow! You managed to cycle your tank pretty quickly, despite not removing the bacteria-killing chlorines and chloramines from your water.

I'm really very surprised. I would have thought you'd wipe out your bacterial colony. I guess the stuff dissipates after a while...

Anyway, well done! And yes, use a dechlorinator. :19: