PDA

View Full Version : Aquascaping with Styrofoam?

Abbeys_Mom
09-05-2008, 05:43 PM
I was thinking of what to use to make caves for my Firemouths. I was thinking of making some fake bogwood, using Styrofoam. I was also thinking of making some tiers/levels at the back to aquascape my 55g to make it more interesting. My question is whether or not Styrofoam (unsealed) is aquarium safe. I know people use it for background in their tank, but they usually seal it. Also, I was thinking of burning the Styrofoam to make it look like wood, would that make it unsafe?

Abbeys_Mom
09-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Scratch that idea! Too buoyant! It probably would have occurred to me if I wasn't up at 5am this morning.

justyn725
09-05-2008, 11:13 PM
you could weight it down with something...or find some way to stick it to the bottom. I'm pretty sure burning styrafoam makes some sort of toxic chemical...but oh well...

Abbeys_Mom
09-05-2008, 11:41 PM
It releases toxic fumes, but only while it is burning.

justyn725
09-05-2008, 11:51 PM
So...you could die while burning it...may not be worth the risk...

Northernguy
09-20-2008, 09:14 PM
I used a styro background I bought at my lfs. I cut it and made a corner so I could stack rocks into a condo. It might be a pain in the butt to have it stay on the bottom .Big rocks work.
I don't know if burning a pattern into it would alter the chemistry enough to hurt the fish. You on the other hand ,might consider a mask!

You can see some of it here.

Lady Hobbs
09-20-2008, 11:40 PM
LOL Good idea to scrap that plan.

Sounguru
09-21-2008, 01:17 AM
I use Stryrofoam all the time to make backgrounds and what not. I just silcone it down where I want it to go. I also use dental plaster and non-toxic acrylic paints to make it look more natural.

Northernguy
09-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Sounguru I can't find any pics of your tanks.I would like to see how they are set up.
Just curious!

Sounguru
09-22-2008, 12:54 AM
Sounguru I can't find any pics of your tanks.I would like to see how they are set up.
Just curious!

All of the tanks with the stuff in them have been torn down ... I quit fish about 5 years ago and have just recently been getting active in a big way again. As soon as I rehome and rebuild some tanks I will be redoing some of the backgrounds and such and will take pictures at that time.

Northernguy
09-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Looking forward to the pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:19: