PDA

View Full Version : Wet/Dry Filters

TehTANK
01-02-2007, 04:04 PM
Hello everyone! Hope the holidays were good for everyone.

I have been doing a little bit of reading about wet/dry filters. I was wondering: Who uses them, if it was bought, if it was made by the person and how hard it was to make (cost too).

I have been thinking about switching over to this because from what I have read they are better for your tank. I am running right now 2 aquaclear sit on the tank filters. One 110 and one 70 gallon filter. It seems to be doing the trick but I think they are loud and a little ugly looking on the back of the tank. Please if anyone can help that would be great!

Thanks!!!

Lady Hobbs
01-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Why not go instead with bio-filters like the 350 Penquin or the 400 Emperor? Use the 110 and one of the above?

TehTANK
01-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Because I am not liking the filters that hang off the back of the tank. I would like something I guess I can hide. I am not really familiar at all with filters though. All I know is the ones I have. That is it. I am here to be educated....

jeffs99dime
01-02-2007, 11:22 PM
how about cannister filters?

TehTANK
01-03-2007, 02:09 PM
I have been looking at the canister filters. I am not really sure what is better and what is cheaper and all that. Can anyone help me?? I am currious of what everyone else has and all of their knowledge.

TehTANK
01-04-2007, 02:02 PM
I am really looking for some help here on this one guys. Can anyone help me with this stuff???

Thanks.

nikipate
01-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Well, I'm new around here but I will throw my two cents in about my canister filter. I love it but it was expensive. I don't remember seeing exactly the size of your tank but my tank is 150 gallon and the canister that we bought was about $180 but it says it does up to 175 gallons. I have a Rena Filstar XP3. I think the neat thing about it is that it has so many different types of media within the filter. It has different compartments inside and each compartment holds a different type of filtration. I'll give you a rundown of the different types as they are listed in the owner's manual...

20 ppi foam - mechanical filtration
30 ppi foam - mechanical filtration
Micro-filtration pad - removes smaller waste
Bio-Chem Zorb - organic filtration
Nitra Zorb - chemical filtration
Phos Zorb - chemical filtration
Carbon
Bio-Chem stars - biological filtration
Ceramic rings - biological filtration

Of course, one thing about having so many different types in the canister means that when you have to purchase them all at one time to change the filter it cost about $100. But it shouldn't cost that every time because some of the pads can be rinsed out and reused. For the first change I wanted to replace everything because we just set up the tank and we added sand for the plants so we knew it would have sand in it this time.

Hope this info helps... I'm sure that some of the more experienced folks will have additional info for you.

TehTANK
01-04-2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks so much nikipate. I appreciate the information. I am really considering a canister filter as well. I just want to know as much about them as possible before I go out and get one.

turbomkt
01-05-2007, 05:39 AM
It all depends on your budget and desires. Eheim makes some nice wet/dry combination cannisters. http://www.eheim.com/prowd.htm

blue fin
01-05-2007, 05:49 AM
I purchased and have not yet received an Eheim 2215 that I have been told by a number of people on this site is great, quiet, and works wonderfully, this filter is supposed to handle 96 gal, I have a 75 gal tank and I will still keep the filter that hangs off the back, if only so I can use it for filter floss. I purchased it for 105.00 off the internet from Petsmart, it's a better deal than the other canisters they sell and if you print the price off of the online site most of the stores will honor it. The other filter they had in a similar size was a Fluval, it would have cost 20 dollars more.

TehTANK
01-05-2007, 01:48 PM
I went to petsmart last night actually and didnt see any Eheim canisters there. I have a 90 Gallon tank so I would need one a little bigger. What do people think of Fluval?? I have herd they aren't good products. Is that true?

turbomkt
01-14-2007, 09:29 PM
A little delayed response but...everyone will have good and bad experiences with different brands. I've had mostly good experiences with Fluval, including good customer support. But the problems I had that drove me to customer support are the main reason I won't by Fluval again. That, and their ribbed hoses.

I've heard good things about Rena Filstar's (XP3 should be good for a 90g).

I swear by my Eheim 2026 and 2126. The 2x28 line would be good for you. If it's a 2128 the heater is built in to the filter and works great.

blue fin
01-15-2007, 02:37 AM
I also missed your post the first time around.. sorry about that.. I had to order my Eheim by mail, they only carry the Fluval in stock. I actually paid 35 dollars or so less than they have the Fluval listed for because the Eheim is actually cheaper than the equivalent Fluval. I couldn't be happier with my filter, it has been less than a week and the tank is incredibly clean compared to last week. You would probably be fine with either filter but if you buy from a chain such as PetSmart print out their add online and take it to the store, they may match it.

TehTANK
01-15-2007, 03:08 AM
Thanks so much. I am not sure what I am going to go with yet. I will continue to do reasearch. I want to get the best for my dollar. You know?

Thanks again!

Severus
01-15-2007, 06:28 AM
I would recommend a canister filter. As other have said an eheim. They are very high quality and i have never heard anything negative about them.

blue fin
01-16-2007, 02:50 AM
Thanks so much. I am not sure what I am going to go with yet. I will continue to do reasearch. I want to get the best for my dollar. You know?

Thanks again!

Welcome... best of luck making your decision.

jeffs99dime
01-16-2007, 04:02 AM

Thanks again!

eheim IS more expensive but, there's a reason for it! quality

kimmers318
01-16-2007, 09:21 AM
What exactly are you meaning by wet/dry filtration? Isn't that what the biowheels are considered.....a source for the bacteria to get oxygenated while staying wet so they can colonize there?

Anyway....I have magnum 350 biowheels....canister filter with 2 biowheels for the back of the tank (hang like hobs) and they both work great in my opinion.
As for fluval....only have experience with 1, it is an older model, and I wouldn't purchase another without some serious proof they are much better now.!

TehTANK
01-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Thanks everyone. From what I have been reading, I am going to be staying away from Fluval. I am still not sure about what I am going to get but still doing research. I have to also come up with the money....these things aren't cheap. You know? Anway, I appreciate everyone's imput.

Sin
01-22-2007, 12:54 PM
th Eheim filters are sold at better fish stores...the one i have is a 2217 and with tax included cost me $150...i think it was worth it