PDA

View Full Version : gold nugget pleco

woody
09-04-2008, 11:56 AM
I am fairly new here so forgive me if this post is a repeat. I am wondering if anyone has had success with a gold nugget pleco? I have read very few articles about any having luck with these guys. I had one special ordered by the local pet store and he barely made it out of the bag. Just looking at him he appeared healthy but when I opened the bag he just sank to the bottom and died within and hour. I was lucky to get my money back as the local pet store doesnt refund special orders but they said since they didnt inform me of that fact they would refund it this time. From the articles I have found on the net I havent had the nerve to order another as next time I will lose about 30 bucks if it dies. Has anyone here had luck with the gold nugget pleco?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
09-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Yup, I have. How did you acclimate him? Did you just float the bag and then dump him in? Gold Nuggets are one of those species that are still live caught and imported. As such, you need to slowly acclimate them to your water. Drip acclimating works best for these fish. Also, are you wanting to add this fish simply to have a nice looking fish or are you wanting something that will be a good algae eater? If the later, they you may want to check out another kind of plec.

woody
09-04-2008, 01:00 PM
He was basically dead in the bag. I want him because he is a nice looking fish. You have had a gold nugget pleco?? If so how long did it live?

angelcakes
09-04-2008, 01:24 PM
one thing i learnt about a golden nugget is they are not as hardy as most plecs,there are sensitive to water changes dont like much change within the water,there diet has to be more consitive of veggies and also high protein meats,if your pleco had none of these at the lfs then there is a good chance that the journey from lfs to your home has possibly stressed your fish,

ILuvMyGoldBarb
09-04-2008, 01:24 PM
I've had 2. Both were species L177 though. There are 4 different fish that get called Gold Nuggets. One died early because of internal parasites, however this is an issue that you face with almost all wild caught plecos. I didn't get the fresh garlic to them in time. The second Gold Nugget stayed in my tank for about 6 months, however I believe he developed internal parasites as well. He disappeared behind all the plants and seemed healthy and was eating, then I didn't see him for almost 2 months (due to the number of plants in the tank) and when he popped out again he was too far gone, he died with in a day or 2 despite my best efforts. The problem was that I don't think I completely got rid of the internal parasites from when I first got him. If you can treat them properly when you first get them, they are hardy fish. If you can get them on a diet of New Life Spectrum Thera +A forumla, you likely can flush out all the parasites. I would recommend you try to get species L177 since it is the smallest of the Gold Nuggets.

Angelcakes, the fish was not at the LFS, it was special ordered.

angelcakes
09-04-2008, 01:33 PM

thanks for pointing it out:19:

woody
09-04-2008, 02:17 PM
I've had 2. Both were species L177 though. There are 4 different fish that get called Gold Nuggets. One died early because of internal parasites, however this is an issue that you face with almost all wild caught plecos. I didn't get the fresh garlic to them in time. The second Gold Nugget stayed in my tank for about 6 months, however I believe he developed internal parasites as well. He disappeared behind all the plants and seemed healthy and was eating, then I didn't see him for almost 2 months (due to the number of plants in the tank) and when he popped out again he was too far gone, he died with in a day or 2 despite my best efforts. The problem was that I don't think I completely got rid of the internal parasites from when I first got him. If you can treat them properly when you first get them, they are hardy fish. If you can get them on a diet of New Life Spectrum Thera +A forumla, you likely can flush out all the parasites. I would recommend you try to get species L177 since it is the smallest of the Gold Nuggets.

You are right about the common name being used with more than one gold nugget. To be honest I am not sure which L number it was. I do know it was a small fish.

Fishguy2727
09-04-2008, 03:44 PM
There is an article on them in my blog and in the pleco section of the articles on this site. Read it to help get you started, it should help a lot.

For acclimation what I prefer is to dump the bag from the LFS into a bucket then start a siphon from the tank into the bucket with an air tube. Many like to limit the flow to a drop by drop rate, but I keep it full flow. I think that a slow drip by drip acclimation 1-lets the water in the bucket cool off too much since it is sitting on the floor for so long (without a heater) and 2-allows the water in the tube to cool off too much before it even gets to the bucket.

Your water quality must be high. This means lots of water changes.

Your water parameters should be stable. This means the pH and temp should be teh same. Doing water changes with water with too different of a pH or temp can cause problems. They do not need an exact pH, so you should not have to alter it unless it is extremely high (for example: if your tap water was 8.4).

Try not to get one that has not settled in at the shop. Let them take the losses for the ones that die. Ideally the one you buy has been at the shop adn eating for at least a couple weeks.

Driftwood is practically vital. Mine LOVES his log. Any time he has been moved from one tank to another, his log goes with him. He always hides in it and I think it is his little home, although he does share it with shrimp, a loach, and a Synodontis petricola.

Flow is important too. They love high flow, as shown in one of the pictures in the article in my blog.

I have had mine for at least a year and a half now, I think it is more like two years. He is doing great and growing, at the slow growth rate characteristic of the species.

What size tank?
What filtration?
What water change schedule?
Nitrate concentration?
Tankmates?
Any driftwood?

wendada
09-30-2008, 09:22 PM

so I have a sunshine pleco (L014), and my understanding is that they are all wild caught. I've had Copernicus for about 4 months, it's a shame I didn't ask when I bought him if he was wild caught - I didn't realize at the time how exotic he was. Are there any precautions I should take against internal parasites?

troy
09-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Please post your question in a new thread.