PDA

View Full Version : Can black algae be transferred by fish?

Iclimb06
09-04-2008, 08:44 AM
I was directed to a great LFS by another member. I would like to purchase several fish for my girlfriend’s tank, but when I was in the store, I noticed that several of their tanks contained what appears to me to be the dreaded black algae. My question is, would it be possible get black algae by purchasing a fish from this store? Also, are there any added precautionary measures any of you would take to prevent the introduction of black algae? Obviously, I will not pour the water from the bag into the tank, and unfortunately, I do not have the advantage of an extra tank.
Thanks everyone!

smaug
09-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Unless it was an algae eating fish I would think so.Even then I would consider it a remote posibility.As you already know,be positive you add none of there water,you will be fine.

Alfcea
09-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Well, black (blue-green) algae is not really an algae but a type of bacterium. Once black algae is established, it is hard to get rid of (you could use erithromicine... but it will have an adverse effect on the nitrifying bacteria that you already have...).
If I was you, I wouldn't risk it. It would probably be fine since this "algae" does not attach to surfaces very strongly so, I don't think it could attach to the scales of fish, but you never know.

I'm sorry I cannot be more helpful.

smaug
09-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Well, black (blue-green) algae is not really an algae but a type of bacterium. Once black algae is established, it is hard to get rid of (you could use erithromicine... but it will have an adverse effect on the nitrifying bacteria that you already have...).
If I was you, I wouldn't risk it. It would probably be fine since this "algae" does not attach to surfaces very strongly so, I don't think it could attach to the scales of fish, but you never know.

I'm sorry I cannot be more helpful.
I do believe the poster refers to black brush algae,which is of course,algae.

Iclimb06
09-05-2008, 02:53 AM
Thanks, I will have to check elsewhere. That is a major bummer, because this LFS has a great variety, and I was hoping to get some of their odd ball fish for a future tank I am planning. Oh well, thanks again!

smaug
09-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Thanks, I will have to check elsewhere. That is a major bummer, because this LFS has a great variety, and I was hoping to get some of their odd ball fish for a future tank I am planning. Oh well, thanks again!
Clarify for us what you were reffereing to please,is it black brush algae or the smeary black/blue green algae?If its the bba you will be perfectly safe buying fish from them and would be just as safe even if it were the blu/green stuff.Id hate to see you boycott a perfectly good fish shop because of "just to be safe"