PDA

View Full Version : Apple snail cleans Mystery snail

labnjab
09-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Came home from shopping today to see our apple snail on top of the mystery snail. It appears that the mystery snail has alot of algae on his shell so the apple snail was getting a free meal.

Red
09-03-2008, 11:55 PM
POTM material!!

labnjab
09-04-2008, 12:14 AM
I just took a bunch more pictures as they are still doing it. I will choose the best, one without the flash

labnjab
09-04-2008, 12:22 AM
This isn't some sort of crossbreeding ritual...lol, i noticed the Mystery Snail on a mts earlier, we moved the mystery snail into our community last night from our breeder/ quarentine.

Mvjnz
09-04-2008, 03:20 AM
They are definitely having sex. Apple snails and mystery snails is the same thing, just different names.

robnepper
09-04-2008, 03:22 AM
that's what I thought.

labnjab
09-04-2008, 03:28 AM
How many eggs do they usually lay? I've never seen that before, it was funny to watch,:hmm3grin2orange: but its also the first time we had 2 snails together other then mts. Guess i'll start watching the surface for eggs.

I just looked and they are still attached. Its now been around 4 or 5 hours. Wow...lol

Mvjnz
09-04-2008, 03:42 AM
They can stick together for up to a day, and they can mate repeatedly pretty much every day or a few times a week.

It can be anywhere from 1 week to a few months before she lays the eggs, but feeding with heaps of fresh vegetables might inspire her to lay them sooner rather than later. She will lay between 200-600 in one clutch, and can lay a clutch about once or twice a week when she gets in the mood.

Just be aware that repeated mating and egg laying will shorten their life spans.

labnjab
09-04-2008, 03:45 AM
I'll seperate them, wow, that many eggs, we have enough tanks to keep these 2 seperate. I'll put them in a breeder and sell them if the lfs will buy them. Talk about over populating. I wonder whos the female? I would have never put them together if i new they could mate...lol, can't change it now, shes gonna lay soon

tanks4thememories
09-04-2008, 03:49 AM
I'll seperate them, wow, that many eggs, we have enough tanks to keep these 2 seperate. I'll put them in a breeder and sell them if the lfs will buy them. Talk about over populating. I wonder whos the female? I would have never put them together if i new they could mate...lol, can't change it now, shes gonna lay soon

Mystery snails are worse than rabbits...lolthumbs2:

labnjab
09-04-2008, 03:50 AM
lol, i've never seen anything like it

Mvjnz
09-04-2008, 04:18 AM
The male is the one sitting on her side, with his head tucked in under his shell. The female will often continue to move around and eat while the male is attached to her. In your case the dark one is the female by the looks of it.

What you could do if you wanna limit the amount of babies is after the clutch has hardened (about 24 hours after being laid) is just grab a knife and cut it in half or however small a piece you wanna keep, and throw the rest away.

I forgot to mention the eggs will need 2-4 weeks to hatch, and should be kept moist. Usually they are fine if the tank is covered, but if it's not just splash some tank water at it once a day.

labnjab
09-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Would it be alright to move her to my 55 goldfish tank and have her lay the eggs there? That tank is less stocked and they would be eaiser to manage there, or can I move just the eggs once they are layed.

Mvjnz
09-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Yeah, once the eggs have hardened they are easy to detach and move. They can just sit on a piece of polystyrene in whatever tank you choose.

Not sure I would trust the goldfish to not eat the babies tho. They are tiny, and they drop from where they hatch to the bottom of the tank, and some fish consider them food when they do that. So if they can fit in the goldfish' mouth, I wouldn't do it.

labnjab
09-05-2008, 01:10 AM
Not sure I would trust the goldfish to not eat the babies tho. They are tiny, and they drop from where they hatch to the bottom of the tank, and some fish consider them food when they do that. So if they can fit in the goldfish' mouth, I wouldn't do it.

That would be a perfect way to reduce their numbers...lol, I'll keep an eye out for eggs. The female has been diging around in the sand most of the evening.

Thank you for the help, we'll have babies galore:hmm3grin2orange:, we have 4 guppies about to pop, and now the snails