PDA

View Full Version : Assassins Anyone

Sounguru
09-03-2008, 07:41 PM
If they all hatch I will be sitting pretty this is just one of 5 plants covered and probably just as many scattered on the gravel. Funny thing is they have not at this point laid any eggs on the larger rocks, wood, and only one on the glass and I think that was an oops.

http://www.stopactionphoto.net/Fishpics/planteggs.jpg

KingFisher
09-03-2008, 08:49 PM
That's awesome Guru. Put me on your list of perspective buyers if you are successful in hatching them. I would love to have a few of those guys.:19:

Abbeys_Mom
09-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Ok, let me get this right. Assassin snails kill MTS which infest your tank. Now the Assassin snails are laying bunches of eggs and you are going to be infested by them?

Red
09-03-2008, 11:38 PM
^lol
What else do they eat?

OscarFan
09-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Ok, let me get this right. Assassin snails kill MTS which infest your tank. Now the Assassin snails are laying bunches of eggs and you are going to be infested by them?

Lol. They aree diferent from mts's becuase onc their are no mts's they will stop breeding.

TorqueWorks
09-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Sign me up.

Sounguru
09-04-2008, 12:41 AM

I don't consider MTS as an infestation....:hmm3grin2orange:

Lol. They aree diferent from mts's becuase onc their are no mts's they will stop breeding.

Bingo... They also do not prey upon themselves and grow real slow and breed real slow to grow. Each one of those is 1 egg and that is say a weeks worth. If there was not so much food readily avaiable they will only lay one egg every 10 days or so. You also have to have a male and a female so to stop breeding I could just remove the 2 confirmed females.

^lol
What else do they eat?

Once all of the live food is gone they feed just like any other snail...

country_boy454
09-04-2008, 12:43 AM
Sign me up.
Same here!

Abbeys_Mom
09-04-2008, 03:14 AM
Mainly I was kidding. I have MTS and I got them on purpose, lol (the snails not the syndrome, which I also have). I have not problem with snails, they are neat. I recently received a pond snail in some java moss and don't have the heart to kill him (how infestation starts), He/she is in his/her own tank and hopeful it will live out it's little life without making more. If it does, at least the outbreak is contained and NOT in my planted tank (the one time I quarantine plants and it pays off).

Sounguru
09-04-2008, 03:29 AM
Pond snails will lay eggs even if there is only one so you will have more... :-)

I find pond snails interesting and have never had one eat a plant.

labnjab
09-04-2008, 03:30 AM
Sign us up too, we just found out our golden apple snail and Black mystery snail have been breeding for the past 5 hours:laugh1blue:

Holyvision
09-04-2008, 03:38 AM
/signed onto list!

tanks4thememories
09-04-2008, 03:55 AM
Ill take one too...:19:

toddnbecka
09-04-2008, 06:25 AM
Holy snail farm Batman, I never would have expected so may eggs so quickly from what I've read. My shipment arrived today after 2 weeks in transit, a little over 3 dozen DOA's out of 175, about 20%. :ssad:

Sounguru
09-04-2008, 06:29 AM
I have heard that if conditions are perfect they will breed quickly... I guess I nailed it. Sure they are DOA I had one that didn't open up for over 24 hours...

toddnbecka
09-04-2008, 06:42 AM
Some are empty shells, most of the rest are missing the "door", and after being sorted on a plastic tray with just a little water any suspected DOA's that were actually alive did move. I picked the ones that hadn't moved from wherever they had landed, or at least opened up enough to breathe out of the tub. Some of those went back into the tub, most just lie there and stink. When in doubt over a particular specimen, the "sniff test" is definitive, though unpleasant. Great for anyone trying to lose weight though, the smell of a dead snail will definitely curb your appetite. :18:

Sounguru
09-04-2008, 06:44 AM
Did you buffer your order since I know you were doing a group buy. If so do you have enough to at least fill the orders?

toddnbecka
09-04-2008, 06:56 AM
I did order extras, partly because I wanted some for myself too. However, I didn't count on that many dead. It's over $100 worth, I'll be e-mailing the seller for replacements. I'll at least have to pay for shipping again, and this time they had better be packed better. Most of them had gotten out of the small plastic containers they were packed in with wet paper towels and live plants. Aside from the plants not liking 2 weeks of total darkness (mostly brown, smelly mush), most of the snails were piled in the bottom of the styro shipping box. The odd thing was, most of the dozen plastic containers still had the lids on tightly. Only one contained any number of snails (couple dozen), the rest were either empty or only held a couple.

Sounguru
09-04-2008, 07:04 AM
Wonder if customs did a saerch along the way and jsut dumped them in the box instead of makiong sure they were all back in the containers.

tanks4thememories
09-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Some are empty shells, most of the rest are missing the "door", and after being sorted on a plastic tray with just a little water any suspected DOA's that were actually alive did move. I picked the ones that hadn't moved from wherever they had landed, or at least opened up enough to breathe out of the tub. Some of those went back into the tub, most just lie there and stink. When in doubt over a particular specimen, the "sniff test" is definitive, though unpleasant. Great for anyone trying to lose weight though, the smell of a dead snail will definitely curb your appetite. :18:

lol :sbiggrin:

toddnbecka
09-05-2008, 07:53 AM
You mentioned 2 confirmed females. Is there a way to sex the critters aside from spotting one in the process of laying eggs?

Sounguru
09-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Not that I know of....