PDA

View Full Version : How to get bigger leaves?

Abbeys_Mom
09-03-2008, 04:33 PM
My 2 types of java fern are stubby. The leaves never get more then 3" before the plants make babies. So I am left with a billion baby plants that don't get very big. I am slowly being over run with tiny ferns that log my filter and collect in the corners of my tank. I removed the larger java fern from my 55g (because my severum was eating it) and I am still finding baby plants in there. Is there any way to get it to grow bigger? I have been reading about people with 7" leaves and I am so jealous!

Algenco
09-03-2008, 05:14 PM
How about 12-14", you must have the dwarf varieties.
Mine reach the surface of a 55

Abbeys_Mom
09-03-2008, 11:48 PM
I have lace and Philippine varieties. They weren't that small when I got them, the leaves were a good 5-6". When those fell off they were replaced by little one :(

Alfcea
09-04-2008, 12:17 AM
How's your lighting? I don't know about java ferns, but when there is limited food, snails prefer to grow bigger... and when the food is plentiful, though, they will put their energy into making tons of babies... I wonder if your light may be a bit strong... just a thought.

Abbeys_Mom
09-04-2008, 03:19 AM
I have 50 watts over a 27g. Work out to just over 1.8 watts a gallon, which isn't much. Apparently one of the bulbs is the wrong spectrum, but I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. I have mainly low light plants anubias, java fern, java moss, but I also have corkscrew vals which actually need more light then what they are getting.