PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Apple Snails

Severus
01-02-2007, 04:07 AM
In my 20 gallon tank I have had a recent outbreak of Apple Snails. In that tank there are neon tetras, candy platies, danios, and guppie fry. I was wondering if anyone knew of a fish, that is compatible with those already in there, that will eat the snails. I know Dwarf Puffers eat them, but they're too aggressive for my tank. Any suggestions would be great.

jman
01-02-2007, 05:29 AM
wait to the guppies get bigger if i am not mistaken they will try if not i would have to research.

Abbeys_Mom
01-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Are you sure they are apple snails? They generally are controllable by removing the eggs that are lain in clutches above the water line. Most Loaches will control the snail population.

Drumachine09
01-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Clown loaches will go to town on your snail population. I noticed walmart had an outbreak, and i told them to move their clown loaches into that tank, and i came back and they were gone. The manager even gave me a 5 dollar gift card for helping them out. I spent it on fish food 2 minutes after getting it, but five bucks is five bucks, right?

Severus
01-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Are you sure they are apple snails? They generally are controllable by removing the eggs that are lain in clutches above the water line. Most Loaches will control the snail population.

I'm pretty sure they're apple snails. They're the ones you can buy at PetSmart called Mystery Snails. I never noticed an egg cluster any where though. I would try a Clown Loach, but they get pretty big.

Drumachine09
01-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Will they let you return him for store credit once he has done his part for your tank?

Lady Hobbs
01-02-2007, 06:15 PM
I have 7 clowns and they are the fastest moving fish I have. It wears you out to catch one and you end up dripping wet. LOL The do get big from what I've read, also, but are slow growers. I've had mine for nearly a year and they're still about 2 inches.

Severus
01-02-2007, 06:20 PM
PetSmart has a fourteen day return period. But, I'm thinking about getting a school of Clown Loaches(2-3). If they get too large, I can put them into a 55 gallon tank. Any thoughts on how the Loach will act towards my Guppie fry? The fry are about 3/4 of an inch, give or take a little.

Drumachine09
01-02-2007, 06:26 PM
not a clue, how old about are your guppy fry, because i have had some sinceearly november and they are probobly only 1/2 an inch.

Lady Hobbs
01-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Mine pay no attention to any of my fish. They're having too much fun swimming in the bubbles. They eat flake food but love zucchini slices. I boil it for about 1 minute (or less) to soften it up so it sinks better and easier for them to eat. They actually eat about everything you give them.

Lady Hobbs
01-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Will they let you return him for store credit once he has done his part for your tank?

I wish stores wouldn't do this or at least would quarantine them for a period of time. If I go to the store to buy fish, I would not want fish that just went thru a tank cycling or possibly was kept in nasty conditions. I know some stores do this and it bugs me.

Drumachine09
01-02-2007, 06:33 PM
i see your point

Severus
01-02-2007, 06:35 PM
I've had the fry since about September. I'm not exactly sure when we got them. We spotted them at PetSmart and they gave them to us for free. Anyway, I'm seriously considering getting three Loaches. Do you think three is good because I know they like friends of the same species.

Drumachine09
01-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Sounds like a question for hobbs.

Severus
01-02-2007, 10:41 PM
I just bought two little Clown Loaches! I just counted all of the visible snails.. and there were 53!!! Some are as big as pin heads. Hopefully these guys help clean things up a little! They're awsome looking little guys! Thanks for all the help and any more suggestions are welcome.