PDA

View Full Version : clown knife, black ghost knife

Full3R
09-03-2008, 04:29 AM
I have a 180 gal tank and need to put my clown knife, jag and some other fish in it, my question is, how would a clown knife and a black ghost knife coexist in this tank?

cocoa_pleco
09-03-2008, 04:30 AM
they both get extremely large and would need a 500g+ tank fullgrown, but growing up they should be alright as long as they have their own caves to sit in

Full3R
09-03-2008, 04:31 AM
Oh i deffinetly know they grow quite large, they will have countless hiding areas, theres going to be lots of roots and rock caves and plants

cocoa_pleco
09-03-2008, 04:33 AM
should be alright then

Full3R
09-03-2008, 04:33 AM
thanks cocoa

sodsie
09-03-2008, 07:34 AM
How much was ur clown ghost knife? and excellent choices

dean30bb
09-03-2008, 10:06 AM
just throwing it out ther but black ghost knife dont get more then 40cm 50cm max and clown knife get atleast 70cm

Full3R
09-03-2008, 10:50 AM
ahaha because of the low availability of clown knives in my area, (this being the only one i have EVER seen in real life) alot its balancing on 16" $450, my ghost knife is about 12" atm,
the tank will contain
1 Clown knife
1 Ghost knife
1 Jag cichlid
1 chocolate
and maybe 2 or 3 oscars

Full3R
09-04-2008, 04:11 AM
sadly, the clown knife fell through, the fish died, but The bloke i was getting it off is ordering me a much smaller (6" - 7") Albino Clown Knife for only $350, i will be getting it the coming thrusday

Full3R
09-08-2008, 04:29 AM
How hard is it to come by an Albino Clown Knife?

cocoa_pleco
09-08-2008, 04:29 AM
How hard is it to come by an Albino Clown Knife?

depends on your area, here ive come by them frequently since no fish is illegal to keep here.

Full3R
09-08-2008, 04:39 AM
oh, fair enough, the one i've come by is pink/white with bright red yes, she's awesome looking, her name is Maria

Northernguy
09-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Cool fish,Got pics yet! I had one years ago.I kept it in a 100gal. with 2 snake heads and an oscar.They lived together for 5 yrs.He was beatiful. Unfortunatly I couldn't get rid of those f%&*ing snakeheads fast enough.They bit the end of his long flowing tail clean off.I ended up just taking them to an lfs and leaving them on the counter.I feel sorry for the poor sucker they sold them to.
Dam shipping fees there are a b%tch!I thought 20 bucks was a lot!LOL

Northernguy
09-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Sorry about the #$%^&*() I got carried away!
My bad !

toddnbecka
09-21-2008, 06:46 AM
Geez Louise, I just saw a young (5-6") clown knife at the lfs earlier today for $10, and I was thinking that price was a bit high by a couple $$. There were a couple of similar-size albino bichers in the same tank for $20 each. I wouldn't mind having either/both if I had a tank large enough for them when they grow out.

Dave66
09-21-2008, 07:25 AM
As to the clown and black ghost knife co-existing, not by a long shot. Chitala chitala is one aggressive SOB when it grows up, and it'll kill that ghost knife and anything else that roams the bottom realm. C. chitala can and does reach nearly four feet, and unless you have a 2,000 gallon planted tank lying around, you should rethink trying to keep one.

Dave

tanks4thememories
09-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Geez Louise, I just saw a young (5-6") clown knife at the lfs earlier today for $10, and I was thinking that price was a bit high by a couple $$. There were a couple of similar-size albino bichers in the same tank for $20 each. I wouldn't mind having either/both if I had a tank large enough for them when they grow out.

How much does it cost to ship to Australia?

tanks4thememories
09-21-2008, 10:19 PM
As to the clown and black ghost knife co-existing, not by a long shot. Chitala chitala is one aggressive SOB when it grows up, and it'll kill that ghost knife and anything else that roams the bottom realm. C. chitala can and does reach nearly four feet, and unless you have a 2,000 gallon planted tank lying around, you should rethink trying to keep one.

Dave

I agree.

While they are small C. chitala is firm but not overly aggressive but as it grows depending on its personality it can be really mean. My C. chitala was being harassed by my Jardini but never anything serious the C. chitala would always back down but hold his ground. Aggression from the Jardini was lessening. C. chitala grows faster than Jardini especially in my tank because it is all live food and the knife is a more efficient hunter in a tank like mines with decorations and plants. Well anyway when the knife got to the size of the Jardini they went at it and the knife actually won a big fight in which they both drew blood. Really shook the Jardini. I took the knife out for a little while and re-arranged the tank trying to neutralize territory.
A day after the C. chitala went back in, the Jardini started on him again. The knife let it go a few times then started trying to eat everything in the tank including Jardini. (at that point it was an even match up, but I could not let them hurt each other if neither would learn to work it out from the ordeal. Plus he was even attacking plecos, tried to bite the birchir) It was funny when the knife tried to bite the birchir because birchirs are Armored (Heavy scales - Very durable fish) the birchir just ignored him as if he didn't exhist...lol I got the knife back to peek health and then sold the him to my LFS for a little more than I paid for him.

But about the Size issue:
Heck if you like fish that get big but can't keep them to adulthood just have the decency to trade them in or sell them before they suffer. You can make a few bucks and have some fun as well. IMO it isn't about the final size of the fish as much as it is about knowing the fish and being ready to do right by the fish when the time comes.

dean30bb
09-22-2008, 12:29 AM
How much does it cost to ship to Australia?
lol yeah how much to ship to australia

tanks4thememories
09-22-2008, 12:39 AM
lol yeah how much to ship to australia
I'm thinking shipping is why they have to pay so much for a knife.

Full3R
09-24-2008, 02:39 PM
I'm not sureon the shipping, I just know that the Price was $350 for a Albino (not golden) and $250 for a jet black Clown Knife

tanks4thememories
09-24-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm not sureon the shipping, I just know that the Price was $350 for a Albino (not golden) and $250 for a jet black Clown Knife

What I meant is the guy buying the fish to sell it to you must be paying alot for it. Here in the US they are under 70 dollars.