PDA

View Full Version : stocking my 55g

Nautilus291
01-02-2007, 02:39 AM
I'm researching what fish to put into my 55g aquarium. I checked the ph of my water and it is 8. after sitting in my tank for a couple of days. I was looking at dwarf cichlids but I read that they like more acidic water.

What would be some good fish for this tank. I would rather not have a single spiecies tank. I Also dont really want fish that are too aggressive, Thats why i was leaning twards the dwarf cichlids, but as long as they can get along with other fish I would be happy.

Anyone have any suggestions. Thanks

Fishguy2727
01-02-2007, 02:42 AM
Without adjusting that pH you are stuck with African rift lake cichlids, they are the only fw species commonly available who naturally inhabit such basic waters. They can be aggressive, but depending on the type if you are careful of what goes in and how you setup the tank you should be fine. They are a very rewarding fish.

nraposa
01-02-2007, 02:59 AM
Have you built your stand yet? If you did where did you get the plans? As far as what fish to stock this not my level of expertise.

Glasstapper
01-02-2007, 04:26 AM
are you completely against adjusting the pH? My tap pH is also around 8, but I'm able to maintain a steady 7.0 using the pH decrease. I'm sure lots of other people here adjust their pH as well, so if you have any questions about it, you know we can help.

I'm thinking hard about the dwarf cichlids, as well. My 29 gallon will be the one for them.

jman
01-02-2007, 04:28 AM
dwarfs are great they are full of lots of attitude. the tank immediately became each and everyone of there homes!

jeffs99dime
01-02-2007, 04:30 AM
the route i took is with an r.o. filter. either way you look at it though you're still going to have to add or take away from the water you have to make it right for the fish you are keeping. there is no "perfect scenario" so to speak

jman
01-02-2007, 04:34 AM
Correct!!!!!!!!

Nautilus291
01-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. Im not against changing my ph I just thought maybe there would be some good fish i could get with a ph that high. I probibly will stick with dwarf cichlids then.

As for my stand I got it from http://www.oscarfish.com/cms_view_article.php?aid=47

Me and my dad made some changes to it but its has very good strength to it.