PDA

View Full Version : Added Melafix! Help!

Juddy
09-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Going off what turns out to be extremely bad advice!!Added 20mL to a 260Lt tank with two stressed young discus I only introduced yesterday!! One of them has got what looks like white fungus over his tail fin and parts of his dorsal. He's been infected for a couple of hours and his tail fin looks like starting to waste away. The other has only a tiny spot on his tail fin but doesn't seem to be suffering too much.
Have started doing major water changes and adding stress coat quite liberally. I have also thrown some salt in after reading other posts.
Being the early hours of the morning here in Aus no shops open for hours, all I have is this Wardley FUNGUS_ADE which has [I]malachite green, formaldehyde solution, dehydroabietylamine acetate and acriflavine. It says to use 5mL per 250L or 1 drop per 5Lts for baby species.
Can anyone please tell me if this is safe and/or the right thing to use and what else I can do to save my discus. Thanks

Alfcea
09-02-2008, 10:40 PM
You said you only introduced into your tank yesterday... and they have been infected for a couple of hours? Were they fine in the lfs where you bought them? Do you think they got infected in your tank? Why? I am not an expert, but it sounds to me like they are fine (just a bit stressed from the move) and you are worrying too much. Do not add any chemicals to the water until you know that they actually do have an infection. If they aren't infected, trying to "cure" them will do much more harm than good...

dean30bb
09-03-2008, 10:00 AM
sounds to me like they are just streased leave it for now and see what happens tomorro what are your perameaters like PH ammonia nitrite ect...

ILuvMyGoldBarb
09-03-2008, 11:37 AM
THe advice to add the Melafix wasn't necessarily a bad idea. The problem comes in when you fail to oxygenate the water well when you add it. With the already high temps of a Discus tank the oxygen content will naturally be lower however Melafix also serves to lower it even more. When you use Melafix with Discus it's generally best to drop an airstone in there or increase surface movement. I've used Melafix a number of times with Discus without a single negative side effect.

Juddy
09-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Thank you all so much for your advice! Which, might I add, was all spot on. Turns out it was just a case of nervous first timer getting a little over excited!
Just to let you know, I ended up doing about a 50% water change, DIDN'T add any medicine :-), added a little salt, turned the heat up a little, added two plants and a piece of wood I had soaking for more cover, turned lights off... and prayed!!
Woke up to find two little discus with most of their colour back and even had one of them eating. The one with the white marks on it's fins has all but lost those and am pretty sure he's eaten something now too. My original discus still chases them around a bit but everyone's starting to settle.
Thanks again.:19:

Lady Hobbs
09-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Good news. Glad they are OK. Would love to see some pictures of your discus when you get around to it.