PDA

View Full Version : A little advise please!!

Juddy
09-02-2008, 03:39 PM
I had just the one juvenile discus and today I took the plunge and bought two young guys to accompany him. Now I was quite prepared for my older to assert his authority over the younger guys which of course occured although they seemed to take in their stride. I then gave everyone a little feed to which the new guys ate none, I wasn't too bothered as they were obviously stressed and my first guy did the same when I first got him.
However, it's now a couple of hours down the track and the two young guys have situated themselves partially under some wood and are fairly motionless, one occasionally getting a little sideways. I know discus can be dramatic at the best of times and I'm probably over-reacting a little, being fairly new to this but is there anything I may have missed? Or should be doing?

Fishguy2727
09-02-2008, 03:58 PM
It is hard to say whether they are just stressed from a combination of the move and the established discus or if there is too much stress from the established discus. It can take days for discus to settle in after a move. I would be concerned if the established one goes at them every time they poke their nose out and they can't even get out from their sheltered area. What size tank?
What else is in the tank?
Lots of plants and driftwood?
Any pics of the setup?

Lady Hobbs
09-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Two hours is hardly enough time to give them to get used to all the netting, transporting, new home and surroundings. It may take them several days to adjust.

Keep the lights off and let them get over the stress. You can also move things around a bit so your established fish finds things new, as well, and not so dominate.

Juddy
09-02-2008, 04:21 PM
No the bigger discus is staying in his territory and leaving them be for now and they have since come out a little, however I have a, very close to being evicted, dwarf gourami who seems to feel the need to keep harrassing the (sorry don't know their names yet) yellow one a little but he seems ok, still has good colour and shape etc. But I'm beginning to worry about the little blue guy who has now gone quite dark, almost blackish, and is just sort of treading water in the corner.
To answer you're other questions, i have 4 cory's (peppered+spotted), two clown loach who havn't payed any attention to the discus, 20 neons, and the soon to be ex-gourami. They're in a 260Lt corner tank, various plants and a couple of bits of driftwood.
I'm working on the pics for you.

Juddy
09-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Thats interesting you say move things around a bit. I have a new piece of driftwood I've been soaking for a day or two and some moss to go on it, should i maybe put that in the tank to keep the gourami distracted? Or should I just remove him?

Lady Hobbs
09-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Probably a gold gourami and they are a bit more aggressive than dwarfs. He probably is OK but if you've been thinking already of moving him out then maybe it would be a good idea.

Adding new fish to a tank with previous occupants will do better if things are moved around a bit (especially cichlids) who have established a territory of their own. Lots of hiding spaces are great, as Fishguy mentioned.

Juddy
09-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Ok, dwarf gourami has a new home and I've stuck a new piece of driftwood in the tank. Now for my next dilemma!!!
I was recommended Melafix today to help protect my new fish especially etc etc. It wasn't until I'd added 20ml of the stuff when I suddenly remembered reading something about it being a death trap for discus. I could have died! I found the post and no sooner had i finished reading it and went to check on my guys had one of the new guys displaying white patches on his fins and a little around his gills!! Being midnight in Aus, I can't go and get the medicine mentioned in the post. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to stop him croacking by the morning? Is it a fungus? I have a bottle of Wardley FUNGUS-ADE which says it treats fungal infections and fin and tail rot. Any use or not?

My God did I underestimate how hard just adding two baby discus to a tank could be!!