PDA

View Full Version : My 110g planted tank from start till now.

PUNISHER VETTE
09-02-2008, 06:20 AM
Bought this 110g tall off craigslist for $350 including the driftwood, HOB filter, new powerhead, large plastic plant, python.

Bought a 260w light off ebay that has worked out okay and didn't light my house on fire even after months of not realizing there was bubble rap surrounding the bulbs that i was supposed to remove. Also had some T5 grow lights that add a little extra wattage.

Bought dry fertilizers that are super cheap but i'm still not sure about yet. These include nitrates, potassium, trace+B, and posphates(haven't used yet...)

Added a 5lb CO2 cylinder, Milwaukee regulator with DIY reactors at first then switched over to a ADA beetle 50 diffuser.
So far after many months the tank still hasn't needed filling.

PUNISHER VETTE
09-02-2008, 06:21 AM
ended up buying an FX5 filter that has been okay so far. I'm still using 1 of the HOB's but just because of all the fish problems i've had i figured extra filtration couldn't hurt.

Okay. I added Seachem fluorite black gravel...about 4inches.

Once things settled down i added plants from my 30g i was going to tear down.
Chain swords, Vals, wendii, XXL amazon sword, anubius nana.

Quickly added the rest of the plants from my 30g. and this was actually the tank that won me TOTM shortly after the take was established.
I can now not trust Takashi Amano since mine looked good shortly after setting it up but that doesn't mean it would stay like that.

Added a few more plants, got rid of the big plastic one, and added an aerater after a bunch of fish died do to lack of oxygen.

Added some floating plants, and a few others i can't remember the names right now.
All this was after the algae crisis that my tank went through because of a few things i hopefully have somewhat taken care of. I think i had high pH and hardness giving me brown algae, along with high phosphates.

PUNISHER VETTE
09-02-2008, 06:24 AM
A few pictures of the plants.

Frogbit pictures

New floating Water Hyacinth i added in place of the frogbit for now.

Flowering Anubis that had grown great.

some of the chain sword and micro sword grass and an obsidian rock.

PUNISHER VETTE
09-02-2008, 06:41 AM
Pictures of some of the shrimp that i like....

Amano algae eating shrimp. Bought 3 and i think only 1 or 2 are around somewhere but rarely seen.

Cherry shrimp

Tolley
09-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Thats cool nice progress photos!

Lady Hobbs
09-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Very, very nice. Love it and love the wood! A real eye catcher.

doug z
11-11-2008, 01:16 AM
didn't light my house on fire even after months of not realizing there was bubble rap surrounding the bulbs that i was supposed to remove.

Love that.. LOL

SO jealous of that awesome focal point you have with that driftwood..

Nice journal!

PUNISHER VETTE
11-11-2008, 01:56 AM
forgot i even made this thread. I should probably update with a picture sometime.

Although i've been constantly fighting algae i'm still getting some growth.

i also stopped the CO2 and sold that system. I also discarded the floating plants and they were decomposing too fast and had a lot of nasty bugs.

I still have clean plants growing in my 30g that I'll eventually transfer some back over but not yet.

PUNISHER VETTE
01-25-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm going to try and bring this thread out of the graveyard for some help I need to increase my plant growth.

I'm thinking about getting into the advanced planted tank area again but need to clarify a few things first.

Back when i had CO2, fertilized regularly, and had 260w of lighting on for 10-12hours a day I had horrible algae and brown diatom problems.

Now I sold my CO2 system but everything else I still have. If I was even considering getting another CO2 system I would like to know about my lighting first.

Is my 260w compact florescent lighting enough for my extra tall(30in) tank to grow plants? I mean right now plants are growing slow and algae is minimal but I'm thinking when i had CO2 and ferts the lighting wasn't sufficient.

It was either i didn't have enough lighting or had it on for too many hours of the day.

doug z
01-25-2009, 08:41 PM
What were you fertilizing with?

How often do you do water changes? How much water do you remove?

Diatoms and brown algae mean high phosphates and dissolved silicates..

Try some Seachem's Phosguard:

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/PhosGuard.html

And get a big shoal of otos.. They love diatoms, I'm told..

Lady Hobbs
01-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Hey PV.......is the plastic removed from those lights? Looks like something is getting burned on them. I only mention this because someone else had plastic on their bulbs and didn't know it was there until the plastic burned.

Tank is just awesome.

PUNISHER VETTE
01-25-2009, 08:55 PM
What were you fertilizing with?

How often do you do water changes? How much water do you remove?

Diatoms and brown algae mean high phosphates and dissolved silicates..

Try some Seachem's Phosguard:

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/PhosGuard.html

And get a big shoal of otos.. They love diatoms, I'm told..

I was using Rex Griggs dry fertilizers. with Potassium, Phosphates, Nitrates, seachem Iron and flourish, Trace+B .... I was fertilizing once a week after i did my 50% water changes. But i had a phosphates tester and didn't fertilize that once the levels where okay.

But now i'm down to a 50% change every 2 weeks thinking the high phosphates leading to diatoms came from my tap in little amounts.

PUNISHER VETTE
01-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Hey PV.......is the plastic removed from those lights? Looks like something is getting burned on them. I only mention this because someone else had plastic on their bulbs and didn't know it was there until the plastic burned.

Tank is just awesome.
old picture

That was probably me a long time ago. Yeah i was growing plants with bubble wrap and a white cover over the plexi glass for months before i realized it.:11: lucky i didn't burn the house down.

But since then i've gotten new bulbs so...

doug z
01-25-2009, 09:05 PM
I was using Rex Griggs dry fertilizers. with Potassium, Phosphates, Nitrates, seachem Iron and flourish, Trace+B .... I was fertilizing once a week after i did my 50% water changes.

I'm using the EI (Estimative Index) method..

Seems to be working ok..

100 - 125 Gallon Aquarium

1 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
½ tsp KH2P04 3x a week
½ tsp (30ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

The thing is, instead of measuring everything, you just over fertilize, and even it out by doing 50% WC's..

Try it, maybe, and look into that phosphate absorbent and getting more otos..

PUNISHER VETTE
01-25-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm using the EI (Estimative Index) method..

Seems to be working ok..

100 - 125 Gallon Aquarium

1 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
tsp KH2P04 3x a week
tsp (30ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

The thing is, instead of measuring everything, you just over fertilize, and even it out by doing 50% WC's..

Try it, maybe, and look into that phosphate absorbent and getting more otos..

Okay. I was dosing
1.0 tablespoon Potassium
.75 teaspoons Nitrates(10-20ppm)
.15 teaspoons Phosphates (1.0-2.0ppm)
Iron 1cap full to get around (0.1-1.0ppm)
and .5 teaspoon of Plantex CSM+B
and 1 cap of flourish