PDA

View Full Version : Salvini!!!!

Glasstapper
01-01-2007, 10:26 PM
or also called the yellow-bellow cichlid among other common names. I went to my LFS (the one I trust) and was actually looking for a cichlid or two to put in my tank, depending on their size. There was a tank of these salvini cichlids, but I had never seen or heard of them before. I asked the owner, and basically he said they get to be about 6 inches, may be agressive to their own kind, territorial (just like most cichlids). He said this cichlid requires a pH of about 7.0 to 7.5 (mine being 7.0) and my setup of caves and hiding places would be ideal. I normally don't buy a fish before researching it myself, but I trusted the guy's opinion. He did warn me about my guppies, though. He's too small to eat them, but I have already seen some tail nipping, so I'll probably need to remove them soon, like today or tomorrow. Other tankmates are so far so good, though.

SALVINI!!!! :)

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g91/glasstapper/fish/IMG_1342.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g91/glasstapper/fish/IMG_1336.jpg

Anyone have any experience with these beautiful cichlids?

Lady Hobbs
01-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Pretty cichlid and love your hiding spot for him.

temperature between 72oF and 79oF, and at a pH ranging from 6.5 to 8.0

jeffs99dime
01-01-2007, 11:04 PM
can't say i have any experience with those. very nice fish though! very nice pics too! good job glasstapper!

Nautilus291
01-02-2007, 01:56 AM
Wow that is a beautiful fish.

Glasstapper
01-02-2007, 02:24 AM
Can you imagine how beautiful he'll be once he's full grown?! I'm sure my camera will get used quite often on this guy.

Found an adult picture:
http://www.aquarium2000.it/Salvini.jpg

jeffs99dime
01-02-2007, 03:26 AM
very, very, nice!

Drumachine09
01-02-2007, 03:39 AM
The color patterns remind me of the peacock bass.

Glasstapper
01-02-2007, 04:17 AM
Emergency removal of the guppies!! I had turned out the light about an hour ago, but I could see my guppies swimming all crazy around (their color is easy to see from across the room) and sure enough!! The salvini is hunting them!

I didn't think he would be that aggressive, but I guess live and learn.

jman
01-02-2007, 04:20 AM
dag man i gotta get you all some pics i got some mating salvanni's adult size that are nice!

jman
01-02-2007, 05:01 AM
i also have three smaller ones about the same size as yours but they are aggressive and are kept by themselves they kept eating the babies the bigger salvannis were making before

i lost the rest of the babies because they were killed for trying to eat the babies as well!

Glasstapper
01-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Oh definitely I want to see pictures of yours! So were they more aggressive when young and mellow out when they get older? That would be cool because I would prefer this guy not to be so mean when he gets to be 6 inches long. I saw him yawn today and his mouth is deceivingly large and he's only maybe 3 inches long. I fear for my tetras now.