PDA

View Full Version : Fiddlar Crab in filter

labnjab
09-01-2008, 01:55 PM
While doing tank cleaning today, I noticed my male fiddlar hanging out in the HOB filter. I have no clue how he got the because there's nothing near the intake. Smart little guy, I even have him an upside down 1/2 gallon tank on top as an apartment which he uses the heater cord to climb to it. Seems like he prefers the nutrient rich filter media over his "apartment".

Is there any reason I should prevent him from getting in the filter, or will it be ok to let it stay when it wants. He doesn't appear to be harming anything.

squirt_12
09-01-2008, 02:10 PM
He should be fine. The reason, I think, that he is up there is because he is in a community tank and the fiddlers need land to climb on and so they can get out of the water and breath as well. As I said though he will be fine. I had a female who lived in my filter, in my fiddler crab tank, for about 2 weeks while she held eggs.

Masala
09-01-2008, 05:11 PM
I had 2 different crabs climb out of my tank and into the filter. Neither are still with us, as they both ALSO climbed out of the HOB filter and dropped themselves onto the floor.

They got in there by climbing up the outside of the intake tube....