PDA

View Full Version : How about a how to on ways to do water changes?

korith
09-01-2008, 07:15 AM
Maybe there already is one of these posted if not how about it? Sort of a "how to" on the various methods people do water changes. How they siphon their aquarium water, tips/techniques they use to be more efficient and quick at it, avoiding a watery mess. And no I didn't make that much of a watery mess, just enough of one to make me want to post this.

fins_n_fur
09-01-2008, 07:21 AM
I think it's pretty much an individual routine, and one that you get better at with practice. I used to make a mess with water everywhere, but hardly do that anymore. If you have a python like siphon device, it helps to make the whole process that much easier.

Lady Hobbs
09-01-2008, 10:51 AM
I zip thru my tanks in no time. I also have the python water exchanger and do 50% water changes each week in no time at all.

Only time I have water to wipe up is when the darned python blows the end off (too often) and then I get to wipe the walls down, too. *grrrr*

labnjab
09-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Only time i have water is when i shut the valve off on the python and can't make it to the sink in time and it sprays all over the kitchen floor and wall

ladyoutlaw50
09-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Only time i have water is when i shut the valve off on the python and can't make it to the sink in time and it sprays all over the kitchen floor and wall

I have that same problem -- otherwise i don't make much of a mess anymore
I love my python -- I have 3 tanks and it would take quite a while before with the buckets -- now I can do all 3 within a 1/2 hour and I do about a 50% water change each week.

The python was one of the best investment I have made for my fish

ILuvMyGoldBarb
09-01-2008, 02:09 PM
I have a 500gph pond pump that I attach to my python, I don't waste any water that way. I do a quick gravel vac and then run the pump. I can do a 90% water change on my Discus tank in about 10 minutes.

kaybee
09-01-2008, 03:37 PM
For those using pythons, how does the end blow off?? I've never had that happen before.

ILMGB, how large is your discus tank? A 90% water change in 10min sounds pretty good (my 50% water change on my 180gal takes forever, but I'm only using gravity to operate the python).

labnjab
09-01-2008, 03:44 PM
For those using pythons, how does the end blow off?? I've never had that happen before.

The end doesn't blow off, when i close the valve at the tank end while filling, pressure builds up at the faucet and starts streaming water at the adaptor. I have very high water pressure.

ladyoutlaw50
09-01-2008, 04:17 PM
The end doesn't blow off, when i close the valve at the tank end while filling, pressure builds up at the faucet and starts streaming water at the adaptor. I have very high water pressure.

this happens to me especially if I am in a rush and don't tighten everything like I should!!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
09-01-2008, 04:30 PM
ILMGB, how large is your discus tank? A 90% water change in 10min sounds pretty good (my 50% water change on my 180gal takes forever, but I'm only using gravity to operate the python).
It's a 46gal Bowfront with a mated pair. I was doing 50% on my 125 in about 20min using that same pump.

gm72
09-01-2008, 04:36 PM
For the 10 gallon tanks I just use a bucket. For the 220 I use a hose and siphon it out onto the driveway and fill via the same hose attached to a sink upstairs. For the others I use a DIY rolling cart kind of thing. Empty into the cart, dump outside, fill at the sink, and fill the tanks bucket by bucket.

CAllain
09-01-2008, 04:45 PM
For my tank I use a bucket too...

Klug23
09-01-2008, 05:27 PM
I used to use the python but its quicker for me to use buckets. Plus i dont like to use my tap water. I use filtered RO water.

labnjab
09-01-2008, 06:55 PM
I use buckets on my 2 10 gallons, unless i already have the python out for the 55's. It makes no sense to drag it out for the smaller tanks.

blue fin
09-01-2008, 07:26 PM
I use my python to remove the water and clean the gravel but I use buckets to replenish. I add salt and declorinator to the bucket before I dump it into the tank. Other than the obvious reasons for using the bucket to mix with I find the python is easy to pull the water out without making a mess on my carpet and the bucket is the cleanest way to return the water without making a mess.

korith
09-01-2008, 10:08 PM
I was thinking about putting some sort of heavy weight on both ends of the hoses or maybe a clamp, something to just keep it from flying all over the place unexpectedly. The python looks interesting, I'll just to figure out if its worth the trouble for a 20g tank.

For now I'll see how water changes go for a few weeks and hopefully master it heh, that or invest in a good mop and a few towels to wipe down the walls!

labnjab
09-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Our python just hangs there, I've never had it atempt to fly out. I would say its a good investment for a 20, it beats lugging buckets. I watch tv while changing water.

chester82006
09-02-2008, 01:00 AM
I like that idea. There must be quite a few different ways to change your water.

I do have a question about these python siphoning devices most of you speak of... where can you buy them, and how much do they cost approximately? I'm getting tired of these buckets for my 75 gl, takes forever. I actually posted a thread asking about easier ways to do water changes, and a few mentioned these pythons...I just don't know where to find them or how to use it.
Thank you!

Klug23
09-02-2008, 01:34 AM
I like that idea. There must be quite a few different ways to change your water.

I do have a question about these python siphoning devices most of you speak of... where can you buy them, and how much do they cost approximately? I'm getting tired of these buckets for my 75 gl, takes forever. I actually posted a thread asking about easier ways to do water changes, and a few mentioned these pythons...I just don't know where to find them or how to use it.
Thank you!

Walmart, petsmart, petco, pretty much any fish store and online retailer.

labnjab
09-02-2008, 03:29 AM
I found the hose is way to short, so i also have a 20 foot garden hose, which attaches eaisly to it

ILuvMyGoldBarb
09-02-2008, 03:32 AM
Way too short??? How far to you have to go from your tank to get to a sink or a faucet? LOL You can get them with 50' hoses on them.

labnjab
09-02-2008, 03:33 AM
mine came with one of my used 55's and it was short, maybe 20 feet, my apartments a wierd setup

PUNISHER VETTE
09-02-2008, 04:37 AM
Pythons are a good idea...just a super cheap product.

Mine's slightly better now that i've replaced a few of the plastic parts with metal ones but it's still not what i'd like in a product.

I also just leave mine in the tank and don't have a problem with it flying out... so i just turn the water off at the faucet and don't use the shutoff switch.

but the python was only $20 so i guess you can't complain about that part.

Holyvision
09-02-2008, 04:42 AM
I nominate the Python for a Nobel Peace Prize -- as me and my buckets get along a lot better now...

I love my Python, I just really dislike taking off the aerator on the faucet to screw on the one for my Python...takes too long, they should make a mounting bolt that has an aerator built in, so you can just leave it on, and not have you sink spray water everywhere when you turn it on.

PUNISHER VETTE
09-02-2008, 04:46 AM
I nominate the Python for a Nobel Peace Prize -- as me and my buckets get along a lot better now...

I love my Python, I just really dislike taking off the aerator on the faucet to screw on the one for my Python...takes too long, they should make a mounting bolt that has an aerator built in, so you can just leave it on, and not have you sink spray water everywhere when you turn it on.

I just keep a pair of pliers with my python. Allows me to undo the normal sink and really tighten the python...but i have the metal sink part so it doesn't strip with pliers...

Klug23
09-02-2008, 04:56 AM
My old house had a weird faucet and i was able to buy an adaptor that still had the aerator but i was able to screw the green piece (garden hose female) part right it without changing anything.

korith
09-02-2008, 05:54 AM
Way too short??? How far to you have to go from your tank to get to a sink or a faucet? LOL You can get them with 50' hoses on them.

There are a bunch of diff length versions of the kit around, I was trying to find a cheap place online to buy them, 25, 50 and 75' long hoses.

Gemini
09-02-2008, 06:04 AM
Walmart, petsmart, petco, pretty much any fish store and online retailer.
For those of us 'down under' and maybe others - I went to every LFS I could find and they only have gravel vacs. I got shown to the reptile section when I asked for a python! Does anyone have a pic of a python? I made something to do a similar job out of hose but I would love to see what an actual python looks like.
Google is too hard - I keep getting snakes!

korith
09-02-2008, 06:40 AM
For those of us 'down under' and maybe others - I went to every LFS I could find and they only have gravel vacs. I got shown to the reptile section when I asked for a python! Does anyone have a pic of a python? I made something to do a similar job out of hose but I would love to see what an actual python looks like.
Google is too hard - I keep getting snakes!

http://www.thefind.com/pets/info-python-fish-aquarium

Try that link, I just used google to find a picture of it. use the keyword aquarium python kit and you'll get a ton of hits. The only downside to it seems to be the non hose components are made of plastic.

Gemini
09-02-2008, 07:00 AM
aaahhh didn't try the word kit in there. Maybe that's why I kept getting snakes!! hahaha

korith
09-02-2008, 07:18 AM
aaahhh didn't try the word kit in there. Maybe that's why I kept getting snakes!! hahaha

Well a python snake in the tank you won't have to worry about the fish anymore

korith
09-02-2008, 12:38 PM
There is a way to make your own python kit, instead of buying it. The trick seems to be in finding the adapter that fits onto the sink/hose. The good news is, water bed fill/drain kits come with it.

I can't take credit for this, the credit goes to someone named ingg on another forum http://www.aquaria.info/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=59904&highlight=python shows how to make your own python. Has pictures and tells you what you need to buy.

I'm fairly sure we have one of these already in the basement somewhere in a box, with the remains of the water bed. The other male/female connector and shutoffs I'll pick up later tonight. Think the best thing about this is, you can more or less get the length of hose you like for it, and it's fairly cheap about 25 cents a foot.

Net cost for me will be about $15 since I have the facet adapter already.

Hope this bit of info is of help to someone.