PDA

View Full Version : Score

PUNISHER VETTE
09-01-2008, 01:28 AM
Played golf today and i guess they had just bought a TON of water Hyacinth for their ponds and they said i could take a clump. Although it's huge i think it'll spread out nicely in my tank. It's in my 30g shrimp tank right now so they can pick the roots clean and make sure it doesn't have anything bad in it that might kill what fish i have left.

Way too big/tall for the tank but when it's in my 110g i think it will be good.
Anything else i should do to it before letting it go into my fish tank?

This isn't my picture but it looks just like it....only twice at thick in roots.
http://archive.rhizomecollective.org/Images2/Photos/Tour/waterHyacinth.jpg

Dave66
09-01-2008, 01:56 AM
Punisher,
Is your tank open-topped? Needs to be if you're going to keep that plant. Temp shouldn't be over 78 degrees with it.
Easy to grow in tanks with good lighting, but will grow like mad, so you'll be doing a lot of trimming with it or it'll cover the top of the tank so thickly nothing will grow below it.

Dave

troy
09-01-2008, 02:01 AM
I had one of those in a tank once because I got mine for free also. Mine lasted a few months, but it was only under two watts of light per gallon.

xximanoobxx
09-01-2008, 02:02 AM
LoL, Nice... I was gonna buy 1 for my pond for 3 bux but i bought crayfish for the same price instead... LoL

PUNISHER VETTE
09-01-2008, 02:06 AM
Yeah my tank doesn't have a lid. my lighting is also on legs allowing it to be plenty high for now. I saw they flower quite high but i think it'll be good.

I'll post pictures up in a little while.

My tank is also extra tall so if i needed to i could drop the water down a few inches to give the plant some more room above.

PUNISHER VETTE
09-01-2008, 02:22 AM
here it is.

Wheelman
09-01-2008, 02:42 AM
haha, awesome man

PUNISHER VETTE
09-02-2008, 04:11 AM
I think these plants will be good for my large tank.

Although i LOVE the frogbit it's more suited for smaller tanks like my 30g where it can be noticed and does well.

In my 110g it seems like a larger plant with much larger roots is required and once this gets established will looks good. I'll have to figure out the lighting issues with the plants blocking the light but that wont be for a while. I think if i just have 1 row of plants along the back and one along the front that should allow the light to get to all the plants still.

I just will have to figure out a way to keep the plants in 1 spot....probably fishing line or something.