PDA

View Full Version : required?

Holyvision
08-31-2008, 09:03 PM
Are floating plants a requirement for a planted system to thrive, or it is simply another layer of aquascaping?

I am planting my tank with moderate lighting need plants, and don't want to put them in the shade, but if floating plants are really worth it, then i'll get on in a heart beat.

I've planted many a plant, but never floated one =(
--Holy

smaug
08-31-2008, 09:06 PM
No specific plant is "required".I keep floaters sometimes and if they grow well for you the will shade your tank.If you keep after them ,thinning them weekly or when needed that wont be a big problem.BTW,floater are certainly the easiest to take care of and will usually grow no matter how brown your thumb is.

gm72
08-31-2008, 09:07 PM
Smaug has it right here. Not required but can be very cool to keep.

toddnbecka
08-31-2008, 09:14 PM
Duckweed can be more trouble than it's worth simply because it grows very quickly. You'll be thinning it out constantly to allow light through for other plants, but it's great (particularly in an otherwise non-planted tank) for absorbing nitrates. Amazon frogbit is nice, though the roots tend to grow quite long and thick. Najas is a somewhat opportunistic floater. It isn't a surface plant like some, but will grow quite well in the middle of the water column w/out being rooted in the substrate. It will put out roots if it comes in contact with the substrate.

gm72
08-31-2008, 09:15 PM
Dwarf water lettuce is nice!

smaug
08-31-2008, 09:35 PM
Dwarf water lettuce is nice!
for sure,if you can find it.Mine did get too warm this summer,they all expired.

Tolley
08-31-2008, 09:39 PM
Duckweed can be more trouble than it's worth simply because it grows very quickly. You'll be thinning it out constantly to allow light through for other plants, but it's great (particularly in an otherwise non-planted tank) for absorbing nitrates. Amazon frogbit is nice, though the roots tend to grow quite long and thick. Najas is a somewhat opportunistic floater. It isn't a surface plant like some, but will grow quite well in the middle of the water column w/out being rooted in the substrate. It will put out roots if it comes in contact with the substrate.

I second the Duckweed, Its great! SMall but looks good in big amounts. None of those massive roots hanging down.