PDA

View Full Version : Pangasius Catts

kaianuanu
08-31-2008, 03:26 AM
i had a question about pangasius catfish. it was that they are preditors correct? the will actively chase live prey.

Sounguru
08-31-2008, 04:06 AM
If you are thinking of getting one I wouldn't they get huge require a very large tank and 5 extra buddies to do well.....

They are omnivorous and spook real easy I have heard of many a death by running into the side of the tank when spooked. Also you don't have room in the tanks you have in your sig you are overstocked as is.

Red
08-31-2008, 05:04 AM
http://www.fishbase.org/images/thumbnails/jpg/tn_Pahyp_u8.jpg
This shows there size
they are used as a food resource lol

angelcakes
08-31-2008, 09:12 AM
i would suggest you dont get a pangasius.........there very flighty and seem to have a nervous disorder ,there lovely looking fish yes.......but it what comes with them thats the problem,these fish can grow huge and quite quickly also and easierly can break a tank!!!

MeganL3985
08-31-2008, 02:26 PM
I think its absolutely crazy they even sell these guys in fish stores. Then claim they can be put into smaller tanks. More pet store rubbish....
It took me days to convince my hubby they couldn't be put into our 20 gal. lol

kaianuanu
08-31-2008, 09:11 PM
ok then, that fad ended quickly, what about elipse catfish and columbian/silver tipped sharks? do those actively chas elive prey?

Red
08-31-2008, 09:18 PM
not really.... the silver tip sharks are brackish and elipse/suncats get a good 5-6 inches and dont really chase anything.... what size tank is it?

kaianuanu
08-31-2008, 10:21 PM
i don't have a tank yet but i was just thinking about what type of catfish i'd like when i make room or get a new tank. could you guys come up with a freshwater or brackish catfish that doesn't get extremely huge, is predetory, and is commonly available?(does't have to be really common just not rare)

Sounguru
08-31-2008, 10:22 PM
Bumble bee cat

tanks4thememories
08-31-2008, 11:45 PM
They don't grow that fast. and depending on where you buy them you can often trade them in for really good credit. I used to buy them and a few years later trade them in to my LFS for 3 - 4 times the price i brought them for.

They are easily startled & depending on individual fish are prone to even pass out laying there for as long as 30 mins not even appearing to breathe...lol

Most fish will eat live fish if it fits in their mouth and they can catch it. I have found pangasius not to be a predator until much larger sizes than most people keep . Many have trained them to eat live food but even then they are finicky about live fish.

I agree that people should know what they are getting into before they buy a fish but I don't think that you shouldn't buy one just because of the size it grows to. As long as you know what you are getting into and you have planned arrangements for when they grow it can be fun to keep some of the larger species then trade or sell them or sometimes like in my case you fall in love with the species (Silver arowana) and end up getting a tank to support it. Just my feelings on large fish...:)

kaianuanu
09-01-2008, 03:51 AM
i'll probably do what Tanks... said when i get an open tank for a couple or, i may look into a bumblebee cat as Sounguru mentioned but i'd still like for you guys to help me find a catfish that fits the following description: freshwater or brackish catfish that doesn't get extremely huge, is predetory, and is commonly available?(does't have to be really common just not rare)

kaianuanu
09-01-2008, 03:52 AM
PS: how do you make your names look cool in different fonts like Sounguru's name?

tanks4thememories
09-01-2008, 04:19 AM
i'll probably do what Tanks... said when i get an open tank for a couple or, i may look into a bumblebee cat as Sounguru mentioned but i'd still like for you guys to help me find a catfish that fits the following description: freshwater or brackish catfish that doesn't get extremely huge, is predetory, and is commonly available?(does't have to be really common just not rare)

Here is the "thing" on predatory FW fish kaianuanu,

When you talk predator you are usually talking big, think about it, most predators have to be large enough to eat other fish. Very few FW Predatory species eat fish like people do, 1 bite at a time. Most swallow the whole thing...lol

So if you want a predator here is how I decide on one.
1) what is the largest size tank are you willing to commit to right now and for how long before you will be able to get a bigger one?
2) when you do get a bigger one what is the largest you will go?
3) what kinds of food will you be feeding your fish?
3a) Are these foods readily available or will you have to raise your own?
4) What are your plans should you get a fish and he start to outgrow your tank?
5) Have you researched LFS that will buy him back at the same price or better?
6) How long will you give yourself before you decide (if you notice the fish is getting cramped how long will you give yourself to get a new tank or do what is right for your fish)?

The answers to the above will usually decide for you on what you can get. Basically there are two ways I look at aquarium husbandry. "Buying fish to keep in tanks or buying tanks to keep fish in..."hehehehe If the fish is your goal then the decision is already made you then have to assemble all of the things he needs to be happy and well cared for. If the tank is your goal then you just buy what will fit in the tank you have decided on setting up.

kaianuanu
09-01-2008, 04:45 AM
1. i plan on having 3 55 gallon's, 1 for my mbunas, 1 for my south americans and 1 for whatever i want to get(for instance a pangasius or bumblebee)
2.i will keep whatever i get untill it outgrows the 55
3.whatever it requires, my lfs's have wide varieties of pellet, flaoke frozen and live food.
3.(a)if it's live food, my fav lfs has 5 sizes of feeder fish from 3/4" minnows to 5" comets also i always buy my feeders here because unlike almsot all stores even their feeders are healthier than petsmart
4.take it to my lfs(the same one w/ the good feeders) which does the whole "trade for store credit" thing.
5. see #4.
6.as long as it takes to get a ride from my parents or older sister(a week max)

Sounguru
09-01-2008, 04:54 AM
Bumble Bees will only get about 2" to 5" but will eat smaller fish so they won't outgrow a 55 and you can keep 2 or 3 as long as they all have a space to hang out.

As far as name color that is done with AC bucks you earn for posting look at he bank and then browse the shop menu

kaianuanu
09-01-2008, 04:59 AM
wow, i really had no idea about that stuff i really have never used that whole tool bar. i found the bak but how do i get name color? green is my favorite color so if i get the same as you i'm not just copy catting

Sounguru
09-01-2008, 05:07 AM
click shop then click shop main and it will lead you to a whole bunch of options you can do but you will need enough AC money to do it.

tanks4thememories
09-01-2008, 05:19 AM
1. i plan on having 3 55 gallon's, 1 for my mbunas, 1 for my south americans and 1 for whatever i want to get(for instance a pangasius or bumblebee)
2.i will keep whatever i get untill it outgrows the 55
3.whatever it requires, my lfs's have wide varieties of pellet, flaoke frozen and live food.
3.(a)if it's live food, my fav lfs has 5 sizes of feeder fish from 3/4" minnows to 5" comets also i always buy my feeders here because unlike almsot all stores even their feeders are healthier than petsmart
4.take it to my lfs(the same one w/ the good feeders) which does the whole "trade for store credit" thing.
5. see #4.
6.as long as it takes to get a ride from my parents or older sister(a week max)

Then you can plan wisely without stressing the fish. In a 55 gal you want something that grows slowly and is predatory cat - sounds right?

kaianuanu
09-01-2008, 05:30 AM
you mean pangasius sounds right, right? hey sounguru, what color is your username my glow color is just "green" i like your color better though

tanks4thememories
09-01-2008, 05:54 AM
you mean pangasius sounds right, right?

pangasius catfish isn't really predatory. It depends on each fish individually. and only as they get larger. He will grow AT LEAST an half an inch a month with proper diet, and eventually look like this or larger:
http://www.jjphoto.dk/fish_archive/warm_freshwater/pangasius_hypophthalmus2.jpg

Personally, I would go with something even slower growing. They are very popular and if you ask your LFS it is likley that they would love to buy it back at a foot or so which is the largest I would keep one in a 55 gal cause you need at least 3 of them for them to be happy.

kaianuanu
09-01-2008, 06:00 AM
hey i sent u ans sounguru buddy invites

tanks4thememories
09-01-2008, 06:02 AM
But here is a link to most of them complete with recomended tank sizes:
http://fish.mongabay.com/pimelodidae.htm

Keep us updated on which ones you like?

kaianuanu
09-01-2008, 06:09 AM
i like the bumblebee and pictus, what caught my eye was the pic of a 3 foot one on a guy's shoulder

tanks4thememories
09-01-2008, 06:16 AM
i like the bumblebee and pictus, what caught my eye was the pic of a 3 foot one on a guy's shoulder
Sounguru called it, I agree Bumblebee is best bet wont out grow a 55 gal and is predatory.

kaianuanu
09-01-2008, 06:21 AM
http://solotxt.brinkster.net/csn/f19toruno.jpg

that won't outgrow a 55? if not then the hobbits should publicly say their not mythical

tanks4thememories
09-01-2008, 06:34 AM
http://solotxt.brinkster.net/csn/f19toruno.jpg

that won't outgrow a 55? if not then the hobbits should publicly say their not mythical

Not all fish that look alike are alike..lol I'm not sure that is same fish. Also some fish wont grow in captivity like they do in the wild.

kaianuanu
09-01-2008, 06:40 AM
i'll probably look out for a little bullhead

GeneralGoldeneye
09-21-2008, 04:32 AM
You just want all kind of fish lol

kaianuanu
09-28-2008, 03:04 AM
not anymore, i have all the fish i want now, i just put my seven 2" mbunas in a 4' long 50 gallon, and i have a few 2" south american cichlids and a pleco in my 55, my dream is to have my mbuna tank which i already have, and a Jag in a 75. i have 2 baby jags in the 55 that i got today :) with the JD. and my 2 Flowerhorns and dovii were being too aggressive so i put them in a 20 and soon i will have only the 2 jags and the pleco in the 55. so all i need to get is a 75 for my jags and mabe i could do a peacock setup in the extra 55.

OscarFan
09-28-2008, 03:08 AM
Ok kai why dont you listen to us. Jags need a 90g+ and a peacock needs 300g+. Is it becuase you dont care. Sorry if I sound rude but it seems like were talking to a wall with you.

kaianuanu
09-28-2008, 03:50 PM
people have been saying that most jags can be kept in a 75 unless they're one of the rare giants like those 16" oscars. in which case i have an lfs which gives store credit for healthy fish, their known for carrying "monster fish". and when i said peacocks i meant malawi pecocks as in alunocara not peacock bass

JuliaB
02-06-2009, 05:42 AM
I think its absolutely crazy they even sell these guys in fish stores. Then claim they can be put into smaller tanks. More pet store rubbish....
It took me days to convince my hubby they couldn't be put into our 20 gal. lol

My hubby bought two because he though they would stay small and the clerk at the pet store new all the details of our tank and recommended that they would be okay for us to have. I have only had them a month and 1/2 and they are so full of energy and skittish that tonight they popped my thermo/heater up and out of my tank - which totally scared me and them and now I think they are going to jump right out of the top if they don't settle. Needless to say my guys are going back to where they came from along with my other cold dead fish with their heat.

Northernguy
02-06-2009, 06:15 AM
Probably a great idea!thumbs2:

troy
02-06-2009, 11:37 PM
Old thread!:spam:

tanks4thememories
02-08-2009, 01:52 AM
pangasius catfish isn't really predatory. It depends on each fish individually. and only as they get larger. He will grow AT LEAST an half an inch a month with proper diet, and eventually look like this or larger:
http://www.jjphoto.dk/fish_archive/warm_freshwater/pangasius_hypophthalmus2.jpg

Personally, I would go with something even slower growing. They are very popular and if you ask your LFS it is likley that they would love to buy it back at a foot or so which is the largest I would keep one in a 55 gal cause you need at least 3 of them for them to be happy.

In my ewswarch for a large sharklike preditor I discovered there is more than one sub species of Pangasius and the pic I posted earlier is most likley a Pangasius sanitwongsei. They are difficult to tel appart but here is a link to planet catfish that shows the Pangasius sanitwongsei http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=268 Just a little FYI on an old thread...lol