PDA

View Full Version : tankmates

Full3R
01-01-2007, 01:22 PM
What other tankmates can be kept with discus apart from neon tetras? someone suggested clown loaches to me but im not sure

jeffs99dime
01-01-2007, 02:07 PM
rams can be kept with them

Full3R
01-01-2007, 03:19 PM
heres something to think about, i had a friend over named matt, he saw my oscars and immedietly said "wow, my dad had one of those not that big, but he had a black one and he kept it with like 5 discus cichlids" weird huh

jeffs99dime
01-01-2007, 03:21 PM
yeah. that is weird. i do think that juvi. oscars would be able to be with dicsus for a little while. when they grow up though, that's a whole other ballgame

Fishguy2727
01-01-2007, 04:16 PM
There are tons of fish that can go with discus. Most schooling smaller, non-nippy tetras would be fine. I have bloodfins in with mine. Small plecos that won't suck on them would be fine. I have a couple bristlenose in with mine. Gold nugget plecos would probably be fine too. Cories are great with discus. Assuming the loaches don't chase them yoyos, angelicus, clown, striata, etc. would probably be fine too. These would probably be the best ones, although many others could depending on the individuals. Compatibility always comes down to the individuals.

jeffs99dime
01-01-2007, 04:52 PM
rummynose tetra are good tankmates too. when i had discus, i used to have them in there too along with rams and cardinals. pretty colorful tank.

Full3R
01-01-2007, 10:22 PM
I put my 3 peppered corys and my 2 bronze corys in there as bottom feeders, its even made my discus less shy, the corys are stiring up the sunken brine shrimp then the tetras and discus gobble em up its working out perfectly

Full3R
01-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Discus like a pH of around 6.5 so ive learnt, and Black Ghosts like it aywhere from 6.0 - 8.0 so would a ghost and a discus go well together being as they both arent very agressive eaters would boith get enough food?

Fishguy2727
01-04-2007, 12:37 AM
My black ghost knife was too aggressive of an eater, but mine was an exception to almost every rule. He lived in the 150 when my dad was in charge of it, that meant all things went bad. No water changes for years. No filter maintenance. Things seemed fine for years until everyone got sick. Geophagus dropped off, angels got fin and tail rot, Synodontis and sun cats got HLLE, cories dropped off, everyone was sick except for the knife. He never once showed any signs of anything and was the only thing to do so. I put him in the 55 with the discus and he would come out and get first takes of the food, including gorging on multiple sinking carnivore pellets, up to 10 at a time (he is about 8"). He is now in my cousin's 90 with a fire eel, a number of geophagus, a bichir, an aggressive pleco, and a couple other things. Most black ghost knives need live, at least to start. Mine never got live or frozen and quickly learned that sinking carnivore pellets, shrimp pellets, and flakes that hit the bottom were his food. So I would say no, but every oen of them are different. I would say if you want to give it a shot but be able to give the knife away if necessary.

Full3R
01-04-2007, 12:59 AM
I already own 2 ghost knives i was just curious because i wouldnt mind putting one in my discus tank, they both are really placid fish and never harm anything including the cory cats that share a ship with him so i was just wondering coz he'd be a nice addition

Fishguy2727
01-04-2007, 01:31 AM
Give it a shot. Keep a good eye on them. I see no reason why they would be outright incompatible as far as water parameters, diet, behavior, etc. go.

Full3R
01-04-2007, 01:32 AM
thanx heaps
once i put some more plants and hding places in ill try it out
thanx agen

Full3R
01-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Jeff: Since you suggested rams to me i've been thinking about purchasing a pair, and to my luck they had got a new shipmeant in at my LFS ive never actually taken much notice of rams, ive mainly kept more aressive fish, but seeing them really took me this time, i plan to buy a pair next time im down at the shop :)

jman
01-13-2007, 02:23 AM
just about any dwarf cichlid iv'e heard of go with them.

Full3R
01-14-2007, 06:42 AM
When i put a frozen block of brine shrimp in for my discus he eats what he wants then the rest is goes to the corys but they fill up on what they got then the rest gets filtered so i might by a pair of Blue Rams to go with him?

Lady Hobbs
01-14-2007, 07:17 AM
Compatibility/ Behavior: Slow moving, peaceful and shy fish. Discus are one of the most beautiful tropical fish and should be given a tank designed for their special needs. They should not be put in a traditional community tank. Discus do best when in groups of other discus. While most people keep discus by themselves, here are a few fish that we have seen in discus tanks: Clown loaches, farlowella catfish, small schooling tetras such as Neons, Cardinals, and Rummynose.

Full3R
01-14-2007, 02:30 PM
thats radd thanx

Fishguy2727
01-14-2007, 03:38 PM
That's one thing I try to explain to customers interested in these fish, you can't take a community tank and add a couple discus, you need to base the setup on their needs, then IF there are things that will go with them, add them. I have some bloodfin tetras as dithers in my discus tank, and a couple bristlenose plecos for algae control. I was reading about them the other day and it said that most of the fish in the area they are found actually do better in the warmer waters that the discus need, but since they tolerate the lower temps, it is a common mistake to assume they can't go in the warmer temps. They have to be brought up to these warm temps to breed, so it is what they are in in nature, but since they are fine in 78F, many think they can't go into the higher end that the discus like at 84-88F.

Full3R
01-15-2007, 11:28 AM
orry bit off topic but you were talking about suited temps for fish, my community tank (Silver dollars, texas cichlid, red headed cichlid, convict, brsitlenose, angels, plattys) i set my heater at 26celcius and it ranges up to 28 during the australian summer when the room is not airconditioned but i found that somehow my heater had slipped to 22celcius and had been sitting like that since i last did full tank clean and the fish did not die whats up with that?

Fishguy2727
01-16-2007, 04:22 AM
It was probably gradual enough to not stress them into illness. Get a Stealth heater, they are the only one I will buy anymore.

Full3R
01-16-2007, 11:27 AM
if thats a brand the ONLY brands i ever find in AUS are AQUAone and Vitapet and in all my heated tanks i have AQUAone heters and i have a spare 50 watt Vitapet

theamazonian
01-17-2007, 05:08 AM
I think the Key is to keep Discus with Non competing feeders Oscars can be aggressive at feeding time, O's are also meesy eaters making for more water changes....

Full3R
01-31-2007, 04:30 AM
Jeff mentioned the blue rams, but my local fish store got in a pair of Gold rams, and i was curious would they be any different from the blues to keep with discus

Fishguy2727
01-31-2007, 01:00 PM
No, same species, different color morph.

Full3R
01-31-2007, 01:08 PM
Cool thanks reptileguy