PDA

View Full Version : Help cycling

dphoenix
08-30-2008, 03:46 PM
It has been 3 days I have ammonia in my tank and no nitrite yet.
How many more days should I have to wait for nitrite to spike.

I was successfully lowering my ammonia little bit lower than 1 ppm since last time people told me to lower it. Right now it has been stable on that 1 ppm.

Temp: 77F
PH: 7.4

Do I need to do anything else at this stage?

GeneralGoldeneye
08-30-2008, 03:50 PM
are you doing a fishless cycle or do you have fish in your tank and how many and what kind. I will take anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks to cycle a tank and what size is your tank

gm72
08-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Could take weeks.

Lady Hobbs
08-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Ammonia with fish will build slowly, peak, and then start coming back down as the nitrites show. Once again, climb (more slowly than ammonia) remain for a bit then also go to 0.

Doing fishless and adding ammonia you get the amount of ammonia needed immediately to get your cycle going but it's not a 2 or 3 day deal no matter how you cycle. Takes time, testing and patience.

Good luck.

Alfcea
08-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Just be patient. Keep maintaining the ammonia levels at about 4 or 5 ppm and you'll eventually see nitrites. Don't worry, it will happen... just be patient.

Lady Hobbs
08-30-2008, 04:04 PM
IF going fishless. Too high is you have fish in the tank.

dphoenix
08-30-2008, 08:25 PM
so my question is as long as I can keep the ammonia level to 1, this should be ok until the nitrosomonas forms right?

gm72
08-30-2008, 08:27 PM
We still don't know if you have fish in the tank.

fins_n_fur
08-30-2008, 08:33 PM
I think there is one goldfish in the tank--there is another thread as well.

dphoenix - It's better to keep your questions to one thread so that you don't get conflicting and confusing questions/answers. People will assume that you are doing fishless when you are not, and you'll wind up killing your fish. It will make the cycle that less stressful for you.

dphoenix
08-30-2008, 09:13 PM
OK..sorry for making new thread. I will try not to make a new one. If someone can delete this thread, that would be okay for me.

Thanks for letting me know. I m newbie here so I apologize again.

Yes I do have 1 fish in my tank before. Right now, I move it out to different tank. So I dont have any fishes left there.
I cannot watch my fish suffered. So as of now, I m doing fishless cycle. My question is I can put more ammonia in there up to 4-5ppm?
How do I get ammonia from since no fish in there? Can I just throw in fish food?

gm72
08-30-2008, 10:31 PM
No need to apologize, you are learning and we are here to help!

Ammonia is best introduced via pure ammonia liquid. You can also introduce ammonia by putting shrimp shells into the tank in a small mesh bag and allowing them to decay. This is, in my opinion, less efficient because there is no way to regulate the amount of ammonia being released.

dphoenix
08-31-2008, 07:58 AM
Where can I get the pure ammonia liquid? Well..here is the thing that I confused. I was being told not to have ammonia in high level no matter there is fish or not in your tank because it can stall out the cycle.

It did happen to me before. I had high ammonia maybe over 4 ppm, and the cycle stalled.

That's why I try to keep my ammonia level to 1 ppm.

fins_n_fur
08-31-2008, 08:04 AM
Usually you want to get the cheapest ammonia, like at an Ace Hardware kind of place or a dollar store. It's not scented and there are no surfactants. And, it won't be pure, but in a solution of water. For a fishless cycle, folks aim for 4-5 ppm of ammonia until they see nitrites appearing. Then, half the ammonia until you see the nitrite spike followed by the nitrate spike.

Just curious, how are you testing for ammonia? What sort of test kit?

dphoenix
08-31-2008, 10:44 PM
Good news guys! I finally see a tiny little bit of color changes on my nitrite test kit. I was soooo excited! I think I need to keep waiting until the nitrite spikes :19: Thanks for all your help.

I cannot wait to see my tank cycled.

dphoenix
09-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Guys, I really dont understand here. I was excited in the beginning that
I thought my tank will be cycled soon but it's not.

It has been over 5 days that my reading of nitrite .25ppm. The ammonia increases little bit to 1.xx ppm. I bought heater last time so that I get a stable temperature in tank 81-82F. I also bought 1 zebra daino since fish cycle is more common and plus alot of people doing it in this forum too.

Yes I move from fishless to fish cycle. Here is my tank spec:

nitrite .25
ammonia 1.xx
ph 7.4 (tap water ph)
temp 81-82
nitrate don know and dont care not there yet

I totally dont get it why the colony of nitrosomonas doesnt form yet.
Is the cycle stalled again?

Btw, I have good aeration as well. I have 50 gallon filter in 20 gal tank size. It has bio wheel as well from marineland.
This filter has a quite big drop of water fall to the tank and the air bubble from aqua culture. So I think it's enough.

What do I miss here? Please help?

fins_n_fur
09-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Okay, so know you are doing a fishless cycle.

First question: Are you adding enough ammonia DAILY to the tank to get the ammonia readings at about 4-5 ppm? With a fishless cycle you need to add ammonia DAILY to keep about 4-5 ppm. The bacteria need a steady source of food in order to develop and grow. If you don't add daily, then your growth rate of bacteria will stall or be unstable. Also, bump your temp to 86 or so.

Also, it wasn't clear to me about the 1 zebra danio. Is that fish in the cycling tank or is it out?

Edit: Be advised, dependent upon conditions, it can take a month or more to cycle a tank. It's not going to happen in a week or two unless you have some seeded filter material or seeded substrate from another cycled tank.

Commodore 64
09-05-2008, 10:57 AM
You aren't missing anything. It takes a while to cycle a tank. That's all.

dphoenix
09-05-2008, 03:58 PM
I think I just have to be more patient. I do have 1 zebra daino because I thought fish cycle is easier. Yes, I have 1 daino in my tank, he is small fish, so it wont generate alot of ammonia.

I just have to be more patient at this point.

bluekrissyspikes
09-05-2008, 07:47 PM
you gotta stop switchin things around. you have a 50g tank set up and cycled already if i understand correctly. why not seed the tank with bacteria from that tank(or add the bio-filter media from the smaller tank into the filter on the 50g beside the already cycled material, so the bacteria will spread to it), and then just keep on adding amonia until it's done? don't add any amonia to the tank while you have the zebra danio in there though. i think by switching to just one small fish you are only slowing down the cycle.

dphoenix
09-09-2008, 03:24 AM
Actually I dont have 50g tank. I have 20 gal tank the one that I am cycling it and 10 g tank for the emergency tank or hospital tank.

Currently I am doing a fish cycle for about over a week. Only 1 small zebra daino. I hope this is enough for 20 g tank. Maybe I need to buy another one?

Yeah..all I can do now is to wait. How many zainos do you guys think I need for cycling 20 g?

gm72
09-09-2008, 11:25 AM
One won't do it. I'd add another 6 or so. Danios are schooling fish anyway and really prefer company of their own kind.

dphoenix
09-12-2008, 04:30 PM
YESSSS!!! Finally I reached stage 2 of the cycle.:19: :19:

I am so happy now and I was hopeless at one point.

Anywayt, I get Nitrites spikes, and my ammonia level goes down drastically. So what do I need to do at this point?

Just wait until the nitrifiers grows to produce nitrate?

Ammnoia: .5 (light green if you are using API test kit)
Nitrite: 1-2 ppm (dark purple)
Nitrate: ??? (no test kit yet)
Ph: 7.4
Temp: 80-81F (For some reason my heater cannot heat the tank higher than this)
Fish: 1 daino (havent bought more dainos yet)

Any suggestions I really appreciate it?

dphoenix
09-16-2008, 02:24 AM
My tank CYCLED now! :19: :19: :19:
I just need to wrap up everything, need to do big water changes and start adding fish in small amount incrementally.

This is the day that I have been waiting for :c3:

I still dont understand it seems to me the nature works differently than the theory, the nitrifiers bacteria grows soo quick in my case. Way faster than nitrosomonas. At the end, my nitrate only about 5ppm. Everything is 0 ppm.

fins_n_fur
09-16-2008, 04:36 AM
Congratulations!

gm72
09-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Nice job, good news!