PDA

View Full Version : Coral banded shrimp care

Tigerbarb
08-29-2008, 05:11 AM
I was planning on getting a coral banded shrimp in a few days, as some/alot of you may know, and I was wondering if I needed calcium/magnesium test kits or not. I am using mostly tufa rock, I have aragonite-based substrate, and I have a few dead coral skeletons in my tank.

unleashed
08-29-2008, 09:52 AM
I don't think you will need it. I haven't tested my tank in about 8 months and everything is fine.

As long as you do your water changes frequently and using top quality salt, everything should be fine.

TowBoater
08-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Ditto to that. You will love it as long as you made it to where it won't be in the back all the time. Mine is always out in the open.

Tigerbarb
08-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Okay, thanks for your replies. I will be back with pix.

cocoa_pleco
08-29-2008, 08:00 PM
should be fine, i dont do anything extra for mine and he molts 1-2 times a month and is always out and about

Tigerbarb
09-01-2008, 02:39 AM
Went and got a nice pair of claws that I saw on top of a rock, today, and apparently, a free shrimp was included! The little guy seems to have acclimated quickly, and prefers cleaning my tufa rocks rather than my live rocks, which makes no sense at all. He's mostly hiding.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
09-01-2008, 02:42 AM
You probably won't see it much until the lights go out. Mine stays in his cave in the back of the tank all day. After the lights go out, he's all over the tank cleaning up.

Tigerbarb
09-01-2008, 03:03 AM
The guy at the store said that, after 1-1.5 years, a coral banded can grow large enough to consume it's tank mates, and that I'd have to take it back to the store when that time comes near. I am thinking that since I have about a year with the shrimp, I could save to add a 10g sump, and put him in there. That is, if a coral banded can live in 10 gallons.

I also couldn't help but spend more than half my time just admiring the other fish at my lfs as well. While in the saltwater aisle, I saw a blue tang who was barely 1", a pair of black clowns, a large mantis shrimp, and a nice soft coral that I am going to get once I upgrade my lighting. I didn't notice a single fish experiencing loss-of-color, or of bad health.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
09-01-2008, 04:00 AM
I doubt it. They max out at 4" long. The won't be consuming any tankmates anytime soon. My LFS has one they have had for about 3 years now and he doesn't bother any of his tankmates.

cocoa_pleco
09-01-2008, 04:12 AM
goldbarb is right, theyre harmless. mines fullgrown and he just slowly cruises for food. worst he ever did was get into scuffles with my arrow crab

Tigerbarb
09-01-2008, 05:22 PM
I guess the guy at the store was meaning that the shrimp can eat small fish, such as new gobies, young royal grammas, etc, because, along side your replies, I don't think a tomato clown is small enough to be eaten by a shrimp.

I'd post some pix now, but I can't find my camera. When I put my finger up to the glass, the little shrimpey will attempt to clean it, and at night, I found many would-be POTM moments.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
09-01-2008, 05:29 PM
My LFS had theirs in with their Bicolor Blenny and their Royal Gramma for 4 years. :)

Tigerbarb
09-01-2008, 11:32 PM
I just found out that the shrimp has a low chance of survival. I floated the bag in my tank for 15 minutes, and then drip acclimated for about 5 minutes, as I did with my clown. What can I do? Right now, the poor guy is just in the back-right corner, with his legs against a wall as if he's going to clean something, but not really moving much.

cocoa_pleco
09-02-2008, 12:00 AM
mine sometimes sits and meditates, theyre more night scavengers than day. however, you need to drip for at least a hour, 5 minutes is way too fast

ILuvMyGoldBarb
09-02-2008, 12:14 AM
They don't move much so you really should expect it. 5 minutes is all you dripped him for??? 30min minimum for fish and 45-60 for invertebrates. Dripping for 5 minutes really didn't do him any good at all. He's probably recovering.

cocoa_pleco
09-02-2008, 12:26 AM
dripping for 5 minutes is like throwing a person from a burning hot tub to a ice cold pool, its shock.

Tigerbarb
09-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Well, what fun would a marine aquarium be if there were no such thing as problems?

I noticed that his body started to drift, so I figured I'd use a net and gently try to herd him onto a rock so he'd have a better place to hide/a source of food. When he ended up settling on the heater, my tomato kept trying to grab him by the antennae, so I had to throw in some frozen brine.
Now, the shrimp is starting to feed off of whatever is on the heater, but still moving slow.

TowBoater
09-02-2008, 12:40 AM
He may live but be careful. When he starts defending himself from the clown well then you will be fine. Don't feed him till tomorrow.

Tigerbarb
09-02-2008, 12:44 AM
As for feeding, I got my hands wet and held a flake above him. He gave it a good inspection, but wasn't having any flakes. I will try to sneak him some brine shrimp tomorrow, if the clown doesn't hog it all.

spudbuds
09-02-2008, 12:46 AM
You may want to stop messing with him (moving with a net, sticking your hand in front of it to eat). You've stressed him enough already, just give him some peace for a little while and let him adjust. You may want to shut off the lights too. That may help him adjust.

- Bill

TowBoater
09-02-2008, 12:51 AM
Agreed, they are nocturnal and do a lot better with lights off. Also if you have a turkey baster, try squirting some food in close to him with it in a couple of days if he won't grab it himself.

Tigerbarb
09-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Lol, I guess shrimpey was tired of the tomato clown hogging all the food, so, what did he do? He shedded!
I'd get pix of the skeleton and the shrimp, but my camera is not working.