PDA

View Full Version : OK so what is the meanest....

tanks4thememories
08-29-2008, 04:06 AM
Ounce for ounce or pound for pound. In your opinion what is the meanest single fish one can keep in an 300 gal FW aquarium? After we get all the entry's I will do a poll.
Fish that require company to be considered mean do not count.

Im going to go with Snake head (channa micropeltes) - Evil fish...lol

Kula
08-29-2008, 04:09 AM
Yeah, I was going to say snakehead too, but obviously not the big ones.

cocoa_pleco
08-29-2008, 04:10 AM
for common fish, i would say arowana

Sounguru
08-29-2008, 04:10 AM
Betta.........:14:

tanks4thememories
08-29-2008, 04:17 AM
Betta.........:14:

Ounce for ounce I think you have a good point...lol Beta is a fish with one heck of an attitude...lol

tanks4thememories
08-29-2008, 04:18 AM
for common fish, i would say arowana

which species?

cocoa_pleco
08-29-2008, 04:20 AM
not sure if its all of this species, but when i went out of town a few days ago, a store had a 26" 24K arowana, and it was MASSIVE. i went by it and it was ready to kill me

tanks4thememories
08-29-2008, 04:23 AM
not sure if its all of this species, but when i went out of town a few days ago, a store had a 26" 24K arowana, and it was MASSIVE. i went by it and it was ready to kill me

sounds like a Jardini

angelcakes
08-29-2008, 08:14 AM
sounds evil...........:hmm3grin2orange:

ladyoutlaw50
08-29-2008, 12:35 PM
well, right now I would have to say my mom and dad kribs -- they come right at me when I come near the tank --very protective of the younguns!!

Fishguy2727
08-29-2008, 12:40 PM
There are a lot of super aggressives. It usually has to do with who is in the tank first as to who will win (which is normal in nature too, as I learned in my animal behavior class, whoever is there first has more to lose). My jaguar cichlid would try to attack if he saw you in the room. Both times he got me he drew blood. Dovii are super aggressive, but I have not had one. Silver arowanas are big, but not as aggressive as some of their asian counterparts. Snakeheads are also super aggressive. Short of big differences in size usually whoever lives in that tank will be the winner.

justyn725
08-29-2008, 01:23 PM
When it comes to eating...my fantail goldfish is aggressive! lol

cocoa_pleco
08-29-2008, 02:08 PM
sounds evil...........:hmm3grin2orange:

they had another one in a tank with 2 10" sting rays, 3 10" clown loaches, and a huge pleco. the clown loaches were the most massive ive ever seen (bigger than the one i saw at big als a few months ago)

angelcakes
08-29-2008, 02:10 PM
they had another one in a tank with 2 10" sting rays, 3 10" clown loaches, and a huge pleco. the clown loaches were the most massive ive ever seen (bigger than the one i saw at big als a few months ago)
sounds like a nice tank!!!!! big clown loaches:18: :18:

cocoa_pleco
08-29-2008, 02:12 PM
sounds like a nice tank!!!!! big clown loaches:18: :18:

saltwater tanks were even better! if it wasnt a 3 hour drive back i would have picked up a few fish

jamiepugh
08-29-2008, 03:06 PM
snakeheads!!!! when 1st got my tank i brought a red snakehead was about 6" in a shop and was given bad info on size it got (39" when fully grown) and on weather i could keep other fish with it. i put 4 convicts in tank with it each bout 2" and they'd gone within 2 days took it to a different shop and they told me actual size and that it would grow to and that it would eat what ever it could get in its mouth! they swapped it for me for 4 more convicts! v nasty fish
snake heads eat everythig up

toddnbecka
08-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Snakeheads are nasty critters, but I do believe an adult male Tilapia buttekoferi would take down a snakehead, or anything else placed in the same tank.

smaug
08-29-2008, 06:35 PM
Red tail cats seem quite brutal.There is one in an inside pond at my lfs.It is 2ft and gawd only knows how heavy.Its head is at least 6" wide.If you so much as put your hand close to the water it will come at it.

Abbeys_Mom
08-29-2008, 07:52 PM
Green Spotted Puffer.
He used to bite minnows in half.

Red
08-29-2008, 07:58 PM
A black rhom pirhana
or a dovii

Treerat
08-29-2008, 08:14 PM
I'd have to agree with CoaCoa with the Arowana on at least one point.... They eat anything. But does Mean equal Agression or who is more hungry? I had a my juvenile leaf fish (Ctenopoma Acutirostre) run off a FW Barracuda who was trying to eat him. I would offer a question that asks what fish type or species has the most alfa-male or -female personality?

tanks4thememories
08-29-2008, 08:19 PM
I'd have to agree with CoaCoa with the Arowana on at least one point.... They eat anything. But does Mean equal Agression or who is more hungry? I had a my juvenile leaf fish (Ctenopoma Acutirostre) run off a FW Barracuda who was trying to eat him. I would offer a question that asks what fish type or species has the most alfa-male or -female personality?

Good Points!!!

I guess we will try that question on the next survey. For now we will have to each rely on our own personal interpretation of "mean"...lol

dean30bb
08-30-2008, 03:57 AM
i think that long toms are preatty mean they rip the live food into shreads its preaty scary lol

by the way if u dont no what a long tom is there similer to gars but alot skinnyer

William
08-30-2008, 04:00 AM
Ounce for ounce or pound for pound. In your opinion what is the meanest single fish one can keep in an 300 gal FW aquarium? After we get all the entry's I will do a poll.
Fish that require company to be considered mean do not count.

Im going to go with Snake head (channa micropeltes) - Evil fish...lol

That was going to be my suggestion as well Giant snake head (channa micropeltes). I love mine even though they are small.

Nick89
08-30-2008, 04:07 AM
Just a question but, why do want an evil mean fish???? But if i had to say id say a pair of convicts, or a pair of jewel cichlids, by far the most aggressive.. Even though its more than 1.

labnjab
08-30-2008, 06:29 PM
The meanest fish we own is our male betta, and thats only if he see's his own reflection, or you surpise him with a hand in the tank and he nips at it

tanks4thememories
08-30-2008, 06:59 PM
The meanest fish we own is our male betta, and thats only if he see's his own reflection, or you surpise him with a hand in the tank and he nips at it

lol........

tanks4thememories
08-30-2008, 07:00 PM
i think that long toms are preatty mean they rip the live food into shreads its preaty scary lol

by the way if u dont no what a long tom is there similer to gars but alot skinnyer

Whats scientific name?

mynheers_a_pint
08-30-2008, 08:14 PM
ok this is a pretty horrible video if you like fish but it does kind of illustrate why i put the wolffish forward (especially as i have one).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_4CfBi6TWU

tanks4thememories
08-30-2008, 09:01 PM
ok this is a pretty horrible video if you like fish but it does kind of illustrate why i put the wolffish forward (especially as i have one).

I was torn between the snake head and the Wolf for my nomination...I'm glad you put it in, I was hoping someone would but I didn't want to suggest it. They are defiantly not a community fish...hehehe

tanks4thememories
08-30-2008, 09:08 PM

Warning it is kinda graphic as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDUAc1Aj_x0

Wow that is one fast fish...sheesh

Fishalicious
08-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Another vote for channa micropeltes - they are scared of nothing!!! Even if it is 5 times larger <shudders> A friend of mine has one and it is constantly trying to attack his housecats through the glass...

tanks4thememories
08-31-2008, 01:56 AM
Another vote for channa micropeltes - they are scared of nothing!!! Even if it is 5 times larger <shudders> A friend of mine has one and it is constantly trying to attack his housecats through the glass...

Typical channa micropeltes lol

Demjor19
09-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Parachromis Dovii! Hands down!

Demjor19
09-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Here are two videos of Dovii. The first one was just pulled off of youtube and the second one is of my Dovii (he's a little larger now) and even more aggressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQaq6-lGr6w&feature=related

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Monster%20Fish/th_DSCN8764.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Monster%20Fish/?action=view&current=DSCN8764.flv)

toddnbecka
09-06-2008, 06:21 AM
Here's some more candidates for the "Meanest Fish" title: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/blog.php?blogid=198
Personally, I'm torn between the great white shark and the stingray that killed Steve Irwin.
Candiru certainly are nasty critters, but they haven't killed anyone.

tanks4thememories
09-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Here's some more candidates for the "Meanest Fish" title: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/blog.php?blogid=198
Personally, I'm torn between the great white shark and the stingray that killed Steve Irwin.
Candiru certainly are nasty critters, but they haven't killed anyone.

We are doing Meanest FW fish that you can keep in a 300 gal or smaller. after this series I will do SW...lol

mynheers_a_pint
09-06-2008, 09:01 PM
ok i have a new one- Aba Aba 'knife fish'. I don't think it is that they are agressive just constantly looknig for food and blind means they will bite almost anything.

There is a graphic video on youtube of one aba aba being 'fed' using a large catfish as a feeder fish. Scary.

rageybug
12-29-2008, 09:05 PM
The meanest fish I've ever seen was my full grown rb pirahna. It would smash into the glass head first whenever anyone would look at it up close. We had a pet corn snake that we would feed live mice to and one got loose. The cat chased it up the couch and onto the top of the pirahna tank. Long story short, mouse decided to run down the filter opening into the tank and the pirahna had grey furry poops for days. Whenever we fed the pirahna it would often bite off the feeder's heads and then eat them several hours later. That is pretty mean!!

Pound for pound, I'd say that a Jaguar Cichlid is the nastiest fish out there. Kept it with very big Dempseys and Oscars and it ran the tank!

NickFish
12-30-2008, 02:37 PM
I agree with demjor, its Dovii without a doubt!

Although there was this one arro at my lfs once that was absolutely vicious!

cer
12-30-2008, 07:00 PM
A musky is a killer fish!

Red
12-30-2008, 08:47 PM
I say poubnd for pound is the exodon by far..

toddnbecka
12-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Meh, the Exodon isn't mean, it's just plain vicious. On the whole though, not a territorial species that kills for something other than food.

Red
12-30-2008, 11:47 PM
I have had them bite at piranha before just because they wanted there space.. But it still is my top of my list.

Amazon
12-31-2008, 04:11 AM
either dwarf snakehead orrrrrrrrr very rare but ARICAN TIGERFISH! creeeeeeepy and GIGANTIC TEETH FOR FW

cer
01-05-2009, 12:51 AM
I still think musky.

Demjor19
01-06-2009, 02:00 AM
A Musky isn't really mean, they are just big. If a musky was placed in a tank with an equal sized Black Rhom or male Dovii...it would be in bad shape. I like Musky, but they just have a huge appetite...not a huge attitude.

fishbum
01-06-2009, 03:54 AM
Exodon.Any fish that can be difficult to keep with it's own species because they kill each other is one,mean,vicious fish.Although they are small.

Demjor19
01-06-2009, 04:30 AM
Exodon.Any fish that can be difficult to keep with it's own species because they kill each other is one,mean,vicious fish.Although they are small.

There are a huge number of fish that would fall into this catagory. Exodon are somewhat aggressive, but I feel there are much more aggressive species out there. I still have yet to see a fish as fierce as a mature make Dovii.

Red
01-06-2009, 04:37 AM
What makes exodon stick out to me, is that they will rip things to shread for no reason at all. Not because of breeding or for there space, just to do it.

Demjor19
01-06-2009, 04:54 AM
What makes exodon stick out to me, is that they will rip things to shread for no reason at all. Not because of breeding or for there space, just to do it.

Have you ever been around a mature male Dovii? They have no remorse for any living or even non-living thing. They just flat out hat anything and everything!

Glub
01-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Bettas are pretty aggressive :hmm3grin2orange:

Persoanlly I'd rather be torn apart completely than have my gills slowly nipped apart.

May not be the highest fish on the foodchain, but they hate others just because they have long fins and bright colours.

Hypocritical racists if you ask me.

Northernguy
01-06-2009, 03:17 PM
There is a fish in the amazon I would not mess with.I cannot remember the name but its a savage.
Its small enough that it can swim into through the other fishes gill where it can start tearing away from the inside out.
Men have to worry about this thing swimming into their penis while they are in the water.
Its small but can do damage that most fish cant.
Does anyone know the name?
Dave???????

Demjor19
01-06-2009, 04:18 PM
There is a fish in the amazon I would not mess with.I cannot remember the name but its a savage.
Its small enough that it can swim into through the other fishes gill where it can start tearing away from the inside out.
Men have to worry about this thing swimming into their penis while they are in the water.
Its small but can do damage that most fish cant.
Does anyone know the name?
Dave???????

Candiru...

Northernguy
01-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Thanks Demjor!
Thats it!http://www.angelfire.com/biz/piranha038/candiru.html
I would run for my life from this little guy!

HomaridNoob6
01-16-2009, 04:15 AM
From my own experience i would have to say the nastiest fish I've ever had was a large male red devil cichlid. I had it at the same time i had red bellied piranha, and as long as the piranha were kept well fed they would be chill with other fish. The red devil on the other hand would try to kill anything around it no matter what, even fish in other tanks! and was also a tank destroyer.

From word of mouth i would go with the channa's and the wolf fish, maybe it's the crazy teeth of the wolf fish and somewhat overblown image of the channas.

When it comes down to it don't discount your standard feeder fish though, i have a few rosy red minnows under 1" that chase my GT cichlids around mercilessly. They dont nip fins or anything, but i saw one of them lip lock the female GT (and it's still living happily!). Pretty gutsy for a fish under 1" VS a fish way over 10 times it's actual weight. Makes me think, pound for pound, ounce for ounce, the small fish that are true survivors might be the meanest.

kzimmerman
03-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Tetraodon lineatus. The lined puffer, sometimes erroneously called the fahaka puffer. I had three, they would not tolerate each other, and I had one bite a 2.5" corydorus aenus in half. He was .5". nasty critters, would attack anything at all. Hands, dogs, arms, whatever.

Demjor19
03-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Tetraodon lineatus. The lined puffer, sometimes erroneously called the fahaka puffer. I had three, they would not tolerate each other, and I had one bite a 2.5" corydorus aenus in half. He was .5". nasty critters, would attack anything at all. Hands, dogs, arms, whatever.

He'd be in my male Parachromis dovii's belly! :ssuprised: j/k...I do like puffers alot, but I hardly think one could hang with my Dovii.

Matty J
11-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Which one would you put your money on?

Demjor19
11-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Which one would you put your money on?

What's a sooty? All I am finding is a saltwater grunter...that wouldn't even make sense.

clayton
11-10-2009, 09:06 PM
What's a sooty? All I am finding is a saltwater grunter...that wouldn't even make sense.
Sooty grunter Hephaestus fuliginosus
http://www.nt.gov.au/d/Fisheries/Content/Image/tilapia/sooty_grunter(1).jpg

Mr.Bluegill
11-10-2009, 09:13 PM
oscar.....!

sunfishman
11-10-2009, 09:14 PM
a large male pumkinseed guarding its spawning bed

Mr.Bluegill
11-10-2009, 09:16 PM
acully i agree with sunfishman a male sunfish guarding a bed

sunfishman
11-10-2009, 09:20 PM
mine will stare down oscars and other fish like there guppys. i dont know if it is aggresion, a huge ego, or both

Demjor19
11-10-2009, 09:47 PM
mine will stare down oscars and other fish like there guppys. i dont know if it is aggresion, a huge ego, or both

I bet it never stared down a large Black Rhom...My old 13" girl would have had a bluegill in her stomach within seconds (literally). on a spawn bed or not...bluegill are just not that aggressive (in comparison to many other fish (and yes...I have kept them). I used to feed my Rhom 7" frozen smelt. They never even hit the bottom.

...and my Dovii may have been able to take her. That's a statement!

sunfishman
11-10-2009, 09:53 PM
ive seen a wild bluegill about a foot long actually eat a baby water snake. put in a target fish with a breeding pair and it will attack it mercilessly

Crispy
11-10-2009, 10:06 PM
A rhom or dovii would decimate a bluegill.

Mr.Bluegill
11-10-2009, 10:55 PM
what about a largemouth bass ...it's a sunfish too

Demjor19
11-10-2009, 11:30 PM
what about a largemouth bass ...it's a sunfish too

No competition! I have kept TONS of different predatory fish...Large and Smallmouth bass included. They just don't have the drive to kill that some fish have (Dovii, Rhom, and Redline Snakehead) are great examples. I think pound for pound...NO other freshwater fish could take them. This is a general statement...there will always be exceptions, but a majority of the time this is true.

...and in case you don't know what a 13" Rhom looks like (RIP girl)
She was a wood chipper with fins.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Monster%20Fish/DSCN6628.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Monster%20Fish%20II/DSCN0095.jpg

Demjor19
11-10-2009, 11:43 PM
Memories...my old Dovii trying to kill the cat. What a tragic year it's been...:scry:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Monster%20Fish%20II/th_006.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Monster%20Fish%20II/?action=view&current=006.flv)

Mr.Bluegill
11-11-2009, 12:59 AM
No competition! I have kept TONS of different predatory fish...Large and Smallmouth bass included. They just don't have the drive to kill that some fish have (Dovii, Rhom, and Redline Snakehead) are great examples. I think pound for pound...NO other freshwater fish could take them. This is a general statement...there will always be exceptions, but a majority of the time this is true.

...and in case you don't know what a 13" Rhom looks like (RIP girl)
She was a wood chipper with fins.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Monster%20Fish/DSCN6628.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Monster%20Fish%20II/DSCN0095.jpg
thats scary.zombie fish

Deleted User
11-11-2009, 01:04 AM
Another title for this thread could be "Name The Fish Jill Would Not Enjoy Owning" http://www.getsmile.com/emoticons/smileys-91853/c0/haha.gif With the exception of bettas... I ♥ bettas!!!

Pele
11-11-2009, 02:09 AM
a flower head cichlid.
It almost bit my finger off!

sunfishman
11-11-2009, 02:10 AM
i change my answer to bowfin. EVIL FISH! good in a big pred tank, but a 3 foot bowfin would pro'lly shred a 13 inch rhom

Demjor19
11-11-2009, 02:37 AM
i change my answer to bowfin. EVIL FISH! good in a big pred tank, but a 3 foot bowfin would pro'lly shred a 13 inch rhom

I said pound for pound...otherwise I would just say Arapaima gigas or Mekong catfish (that would just be silly). I own a bowfin and I know one of equal size would pose no threat to a Dovii or a Rhom. They are brutes, but just arent as driven to kill as some of the other preds out there.

Demjor19
11-11-2009, 02:39 AM
a flower head cichlid.
It almost bit my finger off!

...Almost bit your finger off??? C'mon...that's very far fetched. They can break skin, but there is no way they could even come close to removing a finger. This is getting childish. I'm done with this debate...:22:

rhonin
11-11-2009, 03:02 AM
Not for tank that size but try a Baileys Puffer....

It is in a tank all by its lonesome as it was taking big bites out of anything that swam by.....

Give him a fish and POOF!!! - those giant rat-teeth of his will cut large feeder golds in two...

Feeding time he comes to the glass... but DO NOT get your fingers near the water. :hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
11-11-2009, 04:03 AM
I wonder how a Muskellunge would rate.
Its one vicious fish.

Scrup
11-13-2009, 08:40 PM
melachromis auratus. Not a predator, so it doesn't kill for food.

It just kills to be a jerk. Stories of them killing oscars, and they only get 5-6".

Amazon
11-13-2009, 09:36 PM
doviis.....pssshhhh my jaguar cicjlid can take them.lol jk:hmm3grin2orange:

Scrup
12-30-2009, 12:06 AM
I would like to retract my vote and submit the Candiru asu.

or if invertibrates count, the mantis shrimp.

possibly the meanest most intelligent invertibrate I have ever seen in my life.

Oscar_freak12321
12-30-2009, 12:11 AM
I'd say either A) a snakehead, B) a Jardini, C) a Dovii

Demjor19
12-30-2009, 01:57 AM
I'd say either A) a snakehead, B) a Jardini, C) a Dovii

I agree 100%. I would also add the Umbee to that list!

tori.lock
12-30-2009, 02:42 AM
The candiru, most certainly. Without question.

Inspiire
12-30-2009, 04:07 AM
Some of the fish that have already been mentioned I have no clue what they are. lol

From my relatively small knowledge of species,

Nastiest: Snakehead

Dangerous in Groups: Red Bellied Piranhas

Biggest Punch in Smallest Package: Male Betta

Most Dangerous Spawning: Pair of Cichlids

Looks Least Likely to be Dangerous: Angel Fish

morgangallow
12-30-2009, 04:23 AM
i would say as far as weight goes, a group of exodon paradoxus take the cake ime.

Oscar_freak12321
12-30-2009, 05:02 AM
I've seen candiru multiple times on this list, but all it is doing is feeding when it is going through fish' gills. Pure feeding, not aggression.

toddnbecka
12-30-2009, 05:04 AM
We need to mix them all in a huge tank and see which one survives. :hmm3grin2orange:

Inspiire
12-30-2009, 05:05 AM
As far as the most dangerous fish, it would have to go to the Lion Fish. But thats saltwater. lol

Inspiire
12-30-2009, 05:07 AM
Kind of off topic, but looking at some pictures of snakeheads... Some of them have really striking looks. Anyone else think so?

little hawaii
12-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Snake heads ya but the tiger fish from the Congo basin would win the scrap.

Oscar_freak12321
12-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Oh, also another one that not many people have heard about is an Asian Red Tail Catfish. From the MFR website, apparently if they can't eat the fish, they will rip off chunks of it until it dies. It has also been known to attack its owners while they were doing W/Cs.

Aeonflame
12-30-2009, 09:24 PM
I still say hoplias malabaricus is pretty up there. In trinidad, people werent scared of wading in the rice fields because of snakes.. but because of wolf fish.

jay2487
12-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Since were going ounce for ounce I will have to say green spotted puffer also. They hunt in packs and will eat anything they feel like. My buddie put 2 dragonfish in with 3 puffers, when he got home from work the puffers had eaten the eyes out of the dragon fish while they were still alive! It was brutal. Plus, you could put an adult one up against anything, if stressed it will swell up, release toxins(you can actually watch there scales and skin bubble out gases)and kill every fish in the tank.

Polypterus
02-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Hands down Hoplias aimara. I bet it would kill a SH no problem. My vote Goliath wolf fish(aimara)

frank_zappa
02-18-2010, 12:23 AM
i realize that it cannot be kept in a 300 gal tank, so it does not qualify, but the sand tiger shark is pretty crazy, and starts to kill before it is even born, eating all of its siblings in the womb!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrqgPjZ07Ts

one that i do not think i saw named is the great white catfish, sometimes called blue whale cat, Cetopsis Coecutiens...i remember reading a thread a while back talking about how they kill everything and bore right into them...
i have kept none of these fish, minus the betta, so i really am just throwing it out there

sunfishman
02-18-2010, 12:35 AM
yeah tigers are brutes! i was out about 55 miles of the coast of holden beach, and about an 8 foot shark followed my boat around for awhile, where i was tossing out small fish and old bait on the way back in. i was on the flying bridge looking out from the wheelhouse, ans there was this huge monster behind us! we set out a bucket of fish guts to distract him, then drove away. if he followed, he'd be to tame for his own good. i try not to feed wild predators, because if it trusts people, it may find someone who hates sharks, or grizzlys, or whatever, and take a spear or 12 gauge to it's head.

VoidParadigm
02-18-2010, 11:52 PM
Rather late, and at least one species has been mentioned already, but any Hemibagrus catfish.

A common phrase used by Hemi owners;
"If it can't eat it, it will kill it out of spite."

FreshwaterFred
04-09-2010, 02:17 AM
Think you could fit a bull shark in there? They can live in FW ;)

tanks4thememories
04-09-2010, 05:24 AM
Think you could fit a bull shark in there? They can live in FW ;)
lol Good point!! not very aggressive though.

Demjor19
04-09-2010, 01:58 PM
lol Good point!! not very aggressive though.

Yeah, just because something is big and can eat other fish, does not necessarily make it an aggressive fish. To me...aggressive means that a fish will attack and kill another, just because.

prdoring
04-09-2010, 02:26 PM
:help: How wonderfull I live on this lake (http://www.thetimesnews.com/articles/snakehead-24407-northern-wylie.html[) :help:

oranda man
04-09-2010, 04:24 PM
tiger fish would win with its fins tied behinf its back

Scrup
04-09-2010, 06:00 PM
I've seen candiru multiple times on this list, but all it is doing is feeding when it is going through fish' gills. Pure feeding, not aggression.

not the pee hole/gill candaru.. the one that eats your organs alien style. Schools of them go into a piranha like frenzy once they get inside of you.
--
from http://animal.discovery.com/fish/river-monsters/candiru-catfish/

The Most Horrific Candiru: Perhaps the most horrifying Candiru species of all is the Candiru asu. This small catfish is a voracious parasite. It uses its circular mouth and sharp teeth to bite flesh and then enter organisms, leaving behind a wound that looks uncannily like a bullet hole. The Candiru asu proceeds to feed on the organs, literally eating its victim from inside. Human corpses have been discovered in the Amazon filled with more than 100 of these river monsters. Scientists and coroners have determined that the victims may have even been alive and simply incapacitated when the Candiru asu struck.

mediamonster
04-27-2010, 06:53 PM
My Two Cents: DOVII, i have a 9 inch and he will attack anything and i mean anything you put it in the tank (150) gallons and he will kill it i would bet money on him.
http://thumb5.webshots.net/t/76/76/4/46/23/2556446230099622665PhwbgC_th.jpg (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2556446230099622665PhwbgC)

Shaunjr_89
06-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Alligator Gar.

coolingeffect
06-10-2010, 07:50 AM
I would definately say that a bluegill defending its territory is the meanest freshwate fish in the world. I have a friend who has a dovii and while it is meaner then most anything i still think if a 12 inch bluegill and a 12 inch dovii went at it the dovii would end up retreating. I for one watched a 6 inch bluegill run a 24 inch northern pike completely out of the water onto the bank at a lake that is close-by. Ive also been attacked by them in my float tube while fishing during spawning season, they have no regard for the size of things. If bluegills got 3ft it would be seriously unsafe to swim in lakes.

Time-Out
06-10-2010, 09:05 AM
I'm not much into aggressive fish, but so far I've been impressed with the Dovii (mainly trying to get at the cat). All the other so-called 'aggressive' fish seem ok with other similarly aggressive fish. Has anyone ever kept a dovii with another species?

tanks4thememories
06-10-2010, 03:51 PM
If bluegills got 3ft it would be seriously unsafe to swim in lakes.

I hear ya, ROTFL:ssmile:

kaianuanu
06-11-2010, 02:13 AM
I say a nice male dovii A nice fat lunker too, if it was a person it would be constantly at your throat.

Mistago
06-14-2010, 02:55 AM
I am convinced that Snake Heads are too vicious for me to ever keep. I came across this video before deciding it wasn't for me.

WARNING: This video is quite brutal and may offend some viewers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPGmvemG6fk&feature=fvw

That is one dangerous fish!

little hawaii
06-14-2010, 03:00 AM
awesome vid. Nice fish doing what fish do. Even the visious Guppy eats its young or any other opertune fry. Rainbow snakeheads don't get to big.

Amazon
06-14-2010, 03:03 AM
damsels are very mean in marine tanks. they attack my hand when I put it in the tank.

FishGirl-Seattle
07-03-2010, 05:08 AM
Now that was quite some video. So I'm guessing you would vacuum the gravel after each meal. With your little python. And your hands. Hmmm. Like my life isn't enough of a pain in the *ss! :hmm3grin2orange:

tanks4thememories
07-03-2010, 07:37 AM

Yup they are pretty hard core!! I love the way they are but I dont like fish that chew..lol More messy to keep and clean up after than those that swallow whole.

Nice Vid!!

Sursion
07-18-2010, 05:37 PM
My local fish store had a massive 24" Silver Arowana. He was swimming with a bunch of other fish, so I didn't get the impression they were that mean. He did keep looking at me though :O

AquaCat
07-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Puffer fish that are put in FW tanks. Those can tear fins off anything.

coolingeffect
08-09-2010, 08:30 PM
i change my vote to a 5 star general cichlid, i got a couple on a whim (i know, i know) and they dont seem to have any interest in my geos but have no problem squaring off with the red ciebals that are easily 4x their size. They usually back off when the big male comes charging at them but i think if they were a bit bigger they would go after him too. They are up for grabs if anyone wants them lol.

Gisela
08-10-2010, 04:41 PM
O.k. it took a while, but I read every single post of this topic. My question is: If you want the meanest fish for that 300 gallon, what else do you want to put in? Do you want to see just how he shreds everything you put in for entertainment or for food? Or is it something like cockfights or dogfighting. Just like to know where normal fishkeeping ends.

AndorranPrince
08-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Dovii, no questions asked. I've seen 1 5" dovii take on and win against a 16" jag.

AndorranPrince
08-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Oh god, that is one sick sick man who put the bass in that tank...

kirby2970
08-15-2010, 03:54 PM
i personally think the giant snakehead is most aggressive.

Boerboel
08-21-2010, 09:54 PM
well persoally i have kept some mean alligator gars they were both 15" and 15" before i sold them to a guy with a 300 gallon tank.

Jeddi
10-17-2010, 03:38 PM
my sister's female betta named "angel" :ssuprised:

WhiteDevil
10-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Serious answer

the Lepomis macrochirus.

ounce for ounce pound for pound it is one of the most aggressive fish, It will kill, eats live fast foods, and has one of the most awesome spawning dances out there.
Best part is you can get a nice school of them and have that single species aggressive tank you are looking for.

Id sure hate to be the fathead dropped into that feeding frenzy.

Jeddi
10-18-2010, 12:54 AM
Serious answer

the Lepomis macrochirus.

ounce for ounce pound for pound it is one of the most aggressive fish, It will kill, eats live fast foods, and has one of the most awesome spawning dances out there.
Best part is you can get a nice school of them and have that single species aggressive tank you are looking for.

Id sure hate to be the fathead dropped into that feeding frenzy.I've actually looked into them and I think it would be really neat to have a tank of them. Bad thing is they require a pretty large tank to be happy :( also, anoter mean fish-- pike livebearer

WhiteDevil
10-18-2010, 12:35 PM
we had two tanks of them at work with other NA native game fish, Ive seen them spawn twice and it was very interesting and holy crap are they vicious when dancing.

yes 6 of them need atleast 500 g.