PDA

View Full Version : How about a sticky with abbreviations

korith
08-28-2008, 06:03 AM
A sticky with commonly used abbreviations would be great. Just a list something like LFS = local fish store, wc = water change, Rugf = Reverse flow under gravel filter, etc.. Is there already one perhaps? If not something like this would be great for newbs like myself.

fins_n_fur
08-28-2008, 06:04 AM
I think we have one somewhere...let me see if I can find it.

Edit: It's a sticky, click here (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=20761&highlight=abbreviations) for the thread.

korith
08-28-2008, 06:37 AM
I think we have one somewhere...let me see if I can find it.

Edit: It's a sticky, click here (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=20761&highlight=abbreviations) for the thread.

Cool thanks, didn't come across it while wandering the forums.

angelcakes
08-28-2008, 07:23 AM
i always wondered wher that went:hmm3grin2orange: now ive put it in my favorites shouldnt have a problem again:hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
08-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Not too useful if someone has to leave the thread they are reading and open another thread to see what someone is talking about. I think the poster should be aware that not everyone knows what their abbreviations mean to others and post accordingly so not to confuse others.

Some of the abbreviations are ridiculous like we can actually read minds. LOLOL

(THAT means laughing out loud!)

This reminds me of all the latin words for plants. I have to copy the word, look it up to see what the common names are or don't have a clue what people are talking about. duh!!!!!!!

korith
08-30-2008, 08:47 AM
Not too useful if someone has to leave the thread they are reading and open another thread to see what someone is talking about. I think the poster should be aware that not everyone knows what their abbreviations mean to others and post accordingly so not to confuse others.

Some of the abbreviations are ridiculous like we can actually read minds. LOLOL

(THAT means laughing out loud!)

This reminds me of all the latin words for plants. I have to copy the word, look it up to see what the common names are or don't have a clue what people are talking about. duh!!!!!!!

Well I figure I'll learn the lingo eventually. latin isn't so bad, its all the abbreviations that give me issues hehe.

CAllain
08-30-2008, 08:52 AM
I can understand where you're all coming from... I've had to learn abbreviations in French - it's a nightmare :(

Lady Hobbs
08-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Well I figure I'll learn the lingo eventually. latin isn't so bad, its all the abbreviations that give me issues hehe.

I know what you mean sometimes. GT?????????? ahhhhh......Gold Tetra or Green Terror? Poster should write it out at least once in their post to be more clear.

korith
08-30-2008, 11:54 PM
I know what you mean sometimes. GT?????????? ahhhhh......Gold Tetra or Green Terror? Poster should write it out at least once in their post to be more clear.

One that confused me was cw, change water, i kept thinking why do they keep saying clockwise. Hob was another, I know it means hang on back now, but early on not a clue. Think a few weeks now since I've started reading up on all this, slowly starting sink in.