PDA

View Full Version : MOTM should be private

Red
08-28-2008, 01:20 AM
IMO i think the MOTM should be private the poll that is. We all knew cocoa was going to win..... but come on why show that? do we just want to lose members? I am not saying cocoa shouldnt win because he does but why not hold it private and have a mod or something post who is winning every so often?
It drove away sox and i dont want that to happen again.
Just a suggestion:c2:

gm72
08-28-2008, 01:22 AM
It is a vote just like any other. When we vote for a president you are able to, hour by hour, see what is going on in the polls and this community is no different.

If a member left solely because of a MOTM competition I have to say there had to have been something else that was going on.

Tigerbarb
08-28-2008, 01:23 AM
Sox left because of that? OMG, I don't know what to say.

A agree, Gm72. Sox couldn't of just left from a stupid competition.

Red
08-28-2008, 01:23 AM
No i am not saying he just left because of that. But it saying it is 49 to 19 is a bit over done.

gm72
08-28-2008, 01:24 AM
Not overdone at all. Results are results.

Red
08-28-2008, 01:26 AM
i just think it should be private and announced when someone asks it to be.
who is winning that is..

Tigerbarb
08-28-2008, 01:28 AM
I can see why Sox's self-esteem/place on the forums could've been lowered by that competition. I admit that my reply to the MOTM thread probably made him feel worse about his dramatic loss.

gm72
08-28-2008, 01:30 AM
People win and people lose. Sometimes by a landslide and sometimes by a narrow margin. Let's be honest--if someone ran away every time they lost by a wide margin we wouldn't have any sports or competitions at all in the world.

Algenco
08-28-2008, 01:30 AM
i just think it should be private and announced when someone asks it to be.
who is winning that is..

And people would say it was rigged, the vote must be public.

gm72
08-28-2008, 01:31 AM
And people would say it was rigged, the vote must be public.

Agreed, folks would say it was rigged indeed.

Ty13
08-28-2008, 01:31 AM
IMO Sox should be very proud he was in the finals of MOTM. Not a whole lot of people can say they made it that far and came that close to winning.

Red
08-28-2008, 01:32 AM
can you read my post gm? instead of just answering! i said this is not the only reason!! but this is something that i want not sox or anybody else.... i just think its a killer to self esteem to anybody including me!

William
08-28-2008, 01:33 AM
Exactly that is the problem. We can not keep it private as people would say that it was rigged.

To be nominted to the MOTM and recieve 19 votes shoudl be consider an honor in itself and tells that a member is well liked even if another member recieves a lot more votes.

William
08-28-2008, 01:34 AM
I don´t think it should be a killer to self asteem, I think it should be a boost to the same. I would be proud of having recieved that many votes no matter how many someone ele recieved.

Red
08-28-2008, 01:35 AM
ok whatever i am done.
just delete this thread

troy
08-28-2008, 01:36 AM
No i am not saying he just left because of that. But it saying it is 49 to 19 is a bit over done.

I'm sure if sox was winning you'd wouldn't think its overdone. Your only saying that becuase sox is your buddy.

Red
08-28-2008, 01:38 AM
I'm sure if sox was winning you'd wouldn't think its overdone. Your only saying that becuase sox is your buddy.

now that is a bunch of crap! i am saying that for anyone. please dont assume that just because he is my buddy. I said that because i just dont like it being open like that.

William
08-28-2008, 01:45 AM
Ok ok lets stay friends.

I do appriciate your suggestion but I am afraid that those who hve said that it would spark rumors about vote rigging, especially whe certain members win. But if i come across a good system that prevents the risk of allegations of rigging and is private I will consider using it. But as far as I know there unfortunatly isn´t any such system.

Red
08-28-2008, 01:49 AM
Ok thanks for your input william :)

TowBoater
08-28-2008, 01:52 AM
Man this thread got HOT! I didn't know sox left and if he did, that should not be the reason. I will tell him personally that is stupid.

Mvjnz
08-28-2008, 01:55 AM
I was never even nominated, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

If people can't handle that kind of thing maybe they should lock themselves in their room where they don't have to deal with the real world.

sailor
08-28-2008, 01:55 AM
I don't think there is any problems with the way the comps are run now. To be nominated is an honour with all of the great members we have on this forum. Myself I have made it to the finals once and that just blew me away considering the competition around here. I for one do like the public resaults as they happen, I think it adds a bit of excitement. People come and go in all forums, just the way things are. If sox left because of a competition hopefully he see's the bigger picture and returns.

Just my thoughts on that.

AquaQueen
08-28-2008, 01:59 AM
IMO i think the MOTM should be private the poll that is. We all knew cocoa was going to win..... but come on why show that? do we just want to lose members? I am not saying cocoa shouldnt win because he does but why not hold it private and have a mod or something post who is winning every so often?
It drove away sox and i dont want that to happen again.
Just a suggestion:c2:

I'm sorry but I dont agree.

It is a vote just like any other. When we vote for a president you are able to, hour by hour, see what is going on in the polls and this community is no different.

If a member left solely because of a MOTM competition I have to say there had to have been something else that was going on.

I have to agree with GM on half of this here. A vote is a vote and besides we shouldn't have to change things, they have worked just fine for this long. Why try to fix things that aren't broken to begin with? Right? If members are upset and dont like the results better luck next time. Shoot I been here since 06 (yea I was gone for a few months but still wanted to be here...lol) & I dont have a MOTM, TOTM, or even a POTM award and on top of that I was only nominated 1 time and I dont complain and I am still here....I'm sure there's others too.

Sox left because of that? OMG, I don't know what to say.

A agree, Gm72. Sox couldn't of just left from a stupid competition.

I know alot of ppl wont admit it but we gotta face it...Some of us are just sore losers(no offence to anyone) and hate to loose no matter what it is. I wouldnt doubt it TB if thats all it was. I am sorry but if you cant take an Internet competition then I dunno what to tell ya maybe you still have some growing up to do?
~AQ~

William
08-28-2008, 02:04 AM
Lets not heat this thread up again.

I am sure we can all just agree that we all hope SOX returns to us!

cocoa_pleco
08-28-2008, 02:10 AM
its debatable, but really, people win and people lose. a few years ago in the election here, the loser only had about 3% of the votes and the winner had over half. its what happens in the real world

Nick89
08-28-2008, 02:11 AM
Ok....I stopped visiting the site for a little bit because, well its just because its been really slow with the same ol questions lately.. As for the competition thing, i dont mind losing at all, and im not a "sore loser" I am glad 19 people think i was member of the month, thats really cool. I just had a feeling cocoa would win, being he almost won last time and was probably over-do for it, which im glad he won.

Not to mention ive had some computer problems this past week or 2 and its been getting to me lol.

William
08-28-2008, 03:08 AM
Well there you have it- Sox has just been taking a few days of and is not going anywhere. Just a small missunderstanding.

Lady Hobbs
08-28-2008, 03:36 AM
To make it to finals is really an honor with or without the win. It just means you might not win this time but you're a strong runner for another contest.

Sounguru
08-28-2008, 04:44 AM
Small suggestion would be to not allow comments until voting is over, the way it is done on a lot of the boards I visit.

I think most of the problems arose by some of the comments made that I don't think even needed to be made.

I will say this contest was a no brainer as far as the winner goes, but hey all popularity contest pretty much are.

dean30bb
08-28-2008, 04:54 AM
it dose seem a tad nasty but it is just a vote like any other

Mvjnz
08-28-2008, 05:03 AM
So it's basically a popularity contest and not a contest of who contributed the most to the forum?

In that case I find the whole idea stupid, and obviously the same person will win every time.

Member of the month should be the person who's helped people the most and contributed to make this a good forum the most, not whoever people like for whatever personal reasons.

dean30bb
08-28-2008, 05:25 AM
i agree with exactly wat u have just sed it should be for who has contributed the most informatin and help out alot not a popularity contest

Sounguru
08-28-2008, 05:36 AM
Any open vote like this no matter what the intention is a popularity vote. The nature of the human race is to vote for who they like the best even if they may not be the best.

Now I'm not saying Cocoa isn't helpful but let's take a simple example.

If person A makes a great response to someone that really helps that person but no one really says hey that was great or give them any praise the post just falls off into the unknown and is forgotten. If Person A also does not respond to a lot of post they are not seen by as many people or remembered. No matter if their info is rock solid and right on target to really help someone they are flat out unknown.

Now person B post a lot sometimes his info is good others it is okay and sometimes way off target, but he is closer to okay than off target most of the time. Now person B is personable and post a lot so a lot of people see his post and know who he is.

So a long come nominations and person A is nominated and Person B is nominated... 90% of the people out there will go "Oh I know person B and he has had some okay post, and he is a nice guy, but who is person A." Instead of thumbing thru 100+ post to compare what the 2 nominted people actually contributed they just vote for the one they know. So person B wins even though his post are okay, are nothing to write home about, and he really hasn't helped that many people. While Person A has provided the best and most accurate info and really saved a few people from major crashes. Person A will loose because he is not as well known.

If you look at the #'s of every poll and then go research the accurate info of the people nomiated you will probably find that those who a lot of the people are going "who is that?" Actually saved someone from a major crash. While some of the higher vote getters have posted 10 times more than the people at the bottom and may have not really help anyone that much.

So yes it is a popularity vote. I personally look at what people post or who helped me the most if I make a nomination not who I like the best, but I also am facinated by human nature.

Welcome to the results of any election held in an open forum, and this includes our presidential elections coming up.:hmm3grin2orange:

Even POTM and TOTM are popularity of what I call Fuzzy voting. POTM winer may not have the sharpest photo or even the best subject but if it makes someone go aww isn't that cute they vote for it, same for TOTM. When I look at a photo if it is not in focus it is out of the running no matter how cool or fuzzy I think the subject matter is, but I'm also a trained photgrapher so I look for things like that when 90% of the people don't they vote with their feelings not their logic....

Mvjnz
08-28-2008, 05:50 AM
It's pointless then. May as well get rid of MOTM. I sure won't be voting for anyone.

dean30bb
08-28-2008, 05:52 AM
yeah true to that im probly not going to vote now its pointless

Sounguru
08-28-2008, 06:07 AM
Mvjnz - Dean30bb So neither one of you is ever gonna vote in any open voting process again? Not in MOTM or the elections for the officals of your countries? Because every open vote is as I have stated to one extent or another.

Unless more peole vote with their logic and not their feelings then it will never change. Things can only be changed by those who stick to their convictions and can communicate those to others. So if you don't vote you have no say, but if you vote feel free to come out and question why so and so won, get people to start thinking about why they voted for them or go on the campaign trail for your chosen one.

But if you don't vote don't expect any changes either....

Mvjnz
08-28-2008, 06:21 AM
I don't think MOTM is anything world changing to be honest:)

I do vote in public elections, not for whoever I like the most, but for whoever I think will do a good job.

My experience is that public elections are not popularity contests, most people vote for whoever they agree with who they think will make the changes they feel are needed.

Sounguru
08-28-2008, 07:13 AM
Never said it was world changing, but the attitude about voting is the same, and every election is a popularity contest.

What are those changes you would vote for... Are they for the best or for what makes that person feel fuzzy as in who I think will be the best. Sorry to say everyone votes with emotions first, logic and common sense a distant second.

If I think making saws illegal because trees have feelings too I'm gonna vote for whatever canidate promises me that. So I'm voting for who I like best. Hence I just voted for someone not on what makes the most sense for the masses, but on what I deam as the most important point of intrest to me. Now if 2 canidates are running on the anti saw platform and I like all the points of one and only a few of the points of the other, but the one I agree with is not gonna have a snowballs chance of winning. I would vote for the one that has a chance to help get my no saw line of reasoning across, because at least he has that as the most important line of his platform and that is what means the most to me. So in a sense I just made it a popularity contest because I choose to vote for the one who has the best chance at winning to at least get my agenda across... Even if I don't agree with everything he says.

So if my canidate wins and he makes saws illegal I'm happy, no matter that common sense and Logic says that wood is needed to build many things. So hence forth I voted with my feelings and emotions.

See the whole thing is a circular arguement and can never be won by either side so vote how you wish, but vote none the less. I don't care if it is a simple little popularity contest or for king of the universe just vote who knows maybe your vote will decide the winner then it isn't pointless.......:hmm3grin2orange:

Oh and every election is a popularity vote or the people running wouldn't even be there to run because no one would support them if they weren't popular in some circle or another.

Fishalicious
08-28-2008, 07:22 AM
POTM & TOTM should always be voted for on by the best picture or tank in your eyes and not by the name beside the picture!

MOTM is each indiviuals personal choice.. nobody knows why a person will vote for somone other than the voter themselves. The vote should have nothing to do with amount of years here or post count. Lot's of help is behind the scene in PM's which is not seen openenly etc. So each individual should vote on who they feel contributes something to the forum.... it should not be seen as a popularity contest.

Being in the final of MOTM is by itself a great achievement...think of all the people who only got a few votes in the previous round....

Support your fellow AC members by voting but vote fairly and truthfully

:11: :11:

Sounguru
08-28-2008, 08:04 AM
POTM & TOTM should always be voted for on by the best picture or tank in your eyes and not by the name beside the picture!

Never said it was by name but the aww cute factor.. so the quality of the photo itself is never taken into consideration, just the aww cute... but again human emotion makes any election a popularity contest, and of course art is subjective....:c1: Best thing here is remove the names until the voting is over, but over time you will get to know who it is by style and qaulity of the shot. That can't be avoided but at least for newer people no names makes it easier for them to vote with less emotion involved. Also make the submissions private so no one sees the pictures until the voting starts. This will also encourage other people to enter because they don't see the competition before hand.

MOTM is each indiviuals personal choice.. nobody knows why a person will vote for somone other than the voter themselves. The vote should have nothing to do with amount of years here or post count. Lot's of help is behind the scene in PM's which is not seen openenly etc. So each individual should vote on who they feel contributes something to the forum.... it should not be seen as a popularity contest.

That is why comments should not be allowed. Some folks made it clear that the post count and length of time someone had been here was a factor in their choice. Almost like giving an old politico a run at the top office just because he had been a politico forever. No matter what you do as long as it is an vote of any type it will be a popularity contest because you can not remove the human emotion from the equation. People do not vote for people they don't like, not even if that person gives better information than anyone else. And in a opposite view others may have voted for the other person besides the high vote getter because it was obvious which way the voting was gonna go before it even started from comments made the previous month.

So just sit back and enjoy the ride......:14:

Fishalicious
08-28-2008, 08:41 AM
LOL Guru... my comments were just my thoughts on the subject and not directed at you.

NickFish
08-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Sox didn't leave just because of that.....

For MOTM, I think that people shouldn't be....I don't know what the word is.....humor them. The Poll Results should only be able to be viewed after you have voted. Regardless of who is going to win by 100 votes or whatever, you should always vote for the person you want to win.

For POTM, I see some forums that put the pics right in the thread, instead of giving a link to photobucket. It might be something to try, if the pics were right in front of you more people will look at them.

I also agree with what was said before, you should remove the names by the pictures in POTM and TOTM.

CAllain
08-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Personally I didn't vote this time round, because I didn't feel I had enough knowledge of each member (the only one I knew was cocoa), so I didn't feel qualified to vote.

However, I agree that it's going to be based on the posts and advice people have seen. This means, if someone posts amazing advice but very rarely, they're unlikely to be member of the month because someone else is posting ok/good advice very regularly, so people are more likely to have seen those posts.

On a forum this busy, a lot of people don't get time to read every post.

Member of the month may not seem meaningful due to this, but I still think it's fun and it should motivate all members to post better advice.

Lady Hobbs
08-28-2008, 02:28 PM
This thread is far more of an embarrassment to soxfan than the contest could ever be. And reaching the final stage should never have been a source of embarrassment when so many who have been here much longer have not even gotten that far.

People have enjoyed these contests and we've never had a complaint about them until Billythefish started complaining. Hundreds have particated in them with never complaints. They will NOT be changed because 3 or 4 people can not figure it out that in a contest, some people win and some people loose.

It's also threads like this is why some people don't win.

I know when I enter a photo, it will not win. It will be going up against photos that are better, clearer, of a neater fish, etc. Do I care? Heck no! I get into the contests to be part a it......a participate. To be part of something that's going on here.

I might add the cocoa_pleco was in the finals for the last 4 contests before he pulled this one off. He was gracious, was not upset and grateful for the votes he did get. He knew that he might not have won that month but maybe the next he would. The cocoa_ites didn't come to the open forum and yell FOAL.

Members come to the forum, cast their vote, then say why they voted as they did (if they like) just as they mention the reason they are nominating someone to start with.

All I can say at this point is that I am seeing a great deal of immaturity in this thread but the contests will not be changing. If you wish to not particpate, that is your choice. If your name is in nomination and you would like it withdrawn, just PM a Mod and it will be removed for you.

I do not know how you vote personally but this is NOT a popularity contest no matter what you are being told here now. Some may vote for their buddy but most people with any brains will vote for those who have been helpful either to them or to other members.

Meanwhile, this thread is now closed! Bringing all this DRAMA to the forum, trying to get everyone "going" or trying to cause a mutiny is unacceptable.