PDA

View Full Version : Dinosaur Bichir, breeding?

imhungry114
12-31-2006, 06:56 AM
I have two Dinosaur Bichirs that I bought at Petsmart in September. One has a huge lump in its stomach and the other hides all the time now. I just noticed this today when I was feeding them. Im not sure of the sex of the two or the breeding habbits of them. Also the one with the lump is swimming frantically all over the tank, but usually it hangs at the bottom. Its reall wierd. Any input?

jeffs99dime
12-31-2006, 01:31 PM
welcome to a.c. have any pics of your birchirs? they will help others figure out what the deal is with your fish

Fishguy2727
12-31-2006, 03:12 PM
They usually need a specific pattern to be triggered to breed. That includes dropping the water as the temp rises and food availability drops, then a few weeks later raising the water level by adding cooler water and a sudden increase in food. This simulates the dry season and the onset of the rainy season, which trigger them to breed. I highly doubt they are breeding.

Is the one swollen all along its under side from right behind the gill all the way to the vent?

It sounds like one may have a swim bladder infection or other issue.

How big are they? What size tank? What tankmates (species, #, and size)? What filtration? What water change schedule? What diet? What water parameters (pH, hardness, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, etc.)?