PDA

View Full Version : want new setup for babies

kaianuanu
08-27-2008, 01:40 AM
hi, i have some yellow lab fry(abot 9) that are going to start eating first bites any day now. i have them in a fish bowl with a bubbler and a small fake plant. i have been begging my folks to take me to the lfs all week and i am going to go before the weekend is over. on this lfs trip i plan to purchase materials for a better setup for my fry, what i want to get for them is a 5 or 2.5 gallon tank with a mini HOB filter(is that ok? if not i may be able to get a sponge filter but i'm not sure if they have 'em), mabe a few more plants, and i need suggestions for a substrate. please make suggestions on my list but also, i read somwhere to treat their water with a ich/fungal cure for prevention, is this true? Or, i might just get one of those breeding mesh box/net things that hang on in the corner of your tank for them to chill in(should i do this or get a tank?).

Thanx,
-Kai

Red
08-27-2008, 01:48 AM
i would get a ten gal instead with spongefilter and bare bottom tank. i think the stuff is iodine? that stops from molding and such

kaianuanu
08-27-2008, 01:53 AM
thanx

ps this thanyou does not mean i dont wat more answers :)

Ty13
08-27-2008, 01:53 AM
I'd probably go with the sponge filter because the fry may get sucked up by an HOB.

Most people go with a bare-bottomed fry tank because it makes it easier to vacuum waste and leftover food for better water quality, if you don't like bare-bottomed i'm sure any gravel/sand would be fine.

I don't know about the ick/fungal cure but I don't see how it could hurt.

I'd definetly go for a 10 gal tank if you've got the space and money, those hang-in breeder nets tend to be way too small for any number fry.

Good Luck with your fry! Hope I helped!

kaianuanu
08-27-2008, 02:02 AM
thanx hey i left a reply cooment to your comment on the pics of my oscar, check it out

GeneralGoldeneye
08-27-2008, 02:03 AM
10 gal thank would be best for them with a sponge filter. I would also put gravel or sand in it for them and give them fake plants and rocks so they have places to hide to fell more secure. I would also get them a small heater also good luck thumbs2:

kaianuanu
08-27-2008, 02:05 AM
thanx to you too, check out my thread in the oscar forum, i bieliev it is the last active thread.