PDA

View Full Version : Tall Tank Setup

Aquagirl
12-31-2006, 06:37 AM
I just got a 45 gallon tall tank. (12" x 20" x 24"). I was wondering if there are any species of fish that prefer this type of setting? Or which ones you would suggest that would swim at various levels so I could utilize all the tank space. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

jeffs99dime
12-31-2006, 01:23 PM
welcome to a.c.

kimmers318
12-31-2006, 03:32 PM
Welcome to AC. What are the dimensions of your tank? Alot of fish prefer the longer tanks over the taller ones, so the width and depth are more important (footprint) than the height. If it isn't a hexagon shaped one you should probably be okay for most fish.
Bottom feeders are cute as can be....cory's, loaches, and plecos. Make sure you stick to the smaller breeds as some of the loaches and plecos esp. can quickly outgrow a smaller aquarium. Most though are quite calm and compatible with other calm fish.
Many varieties of tetras are beautiful, and if you look around you will find them. They are schooling fish so make sure you get a group of 6 to best show there personality.
The dwarf gourami species are beautiful also, but some can be iffy with other fish. I have a flame dwarf gourami...a honey dwarf (not to be confused with regular honey)... and sparkling gourami in my 65 and all is well. The dwarf honey is a bright yellow and real pretty.

Lady Hobbs
12-31-2006, 03:37 PM
Excellent post again Kimmers.

AquaGirl, this is a perfect fish for angels who like those high tanks. Kimmers had very good idea's. You just don't want to go with fast swimming fish as they have no where to go.