PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible for angels to spawn again only after two days

MiamiCuse
08-26-2008, 05:30 PM
my angel laid eggs on a slate this past Saturday (8/12) night, and the female has been tending to the eggs, watching it intently, the male seems to not give a hoot about it and going about his own biz all around the tank.

The female makes strange moves towards the eggs, moving very close to the piece of slate and almost rubbing it's belly against it as if she is laying eggs again but not.

Then yesterday both the male and female are cleaning another piece of rock in that same general area of the tank, pecking at it as if to prepare it for more egg laying.

I thought they spawn several weeks apart if they do again, can they spawn again so soon, before the other eggs hatch?

Fishalicious
08-26-2008, 07:02 PM
The swimming close over the eggs is fanning them..they fan the eggs to keep them from going mouldy and provide oxygen to the eggs... Angels will move the eggs often when they are getting ready to hatch so that is why they are cleaning another spot...they will be moving the eggs there pretty soon. They may move them again...in each couple it varies.

MiamiCuse
08-26-2008, 07:38 PM
move the eggs? how? do you mean take them into their mouths and then spitting it out in another spot?

Fishalicious
08-26-2008, 08:03 PM
Exactely.... when the fry hatch they will also keep moving them to keep them safe until they start swimming. My angels move the eggs 2-3 times a day and the hatched fry before swimming about 4-5 times a day.

MiamiCuse
08-27-2008, 12:46 AM
you are right Fishalicious! They moved all the eggs from the slate to the rock which is the top of a cave! There seems to be less eggs now, and I can see faintly tiny little tails wiggling from each egg. The eggs are no longer "glued" to the surface but rather just floating. Since my slate was leaning at a 30 degree angle, I think they knew if they didn't move them they would all fall off?

What do I do now?

Should I do a water change?

Should I try to take out other fish and move them to another tank? I tried to take out the neon tetras I don't know if they will harm the little ones, but their mouths are small so may be it's ok? I cannot catch them as they swim too fast and I don't want to stir up the tank and stress out the angels.

Red
08-27-2008, 12:50 AM
neons are fine they wont eat the little guys...

MiamiCuse
08-27-2008, 02:30 AM
Thanks.

I guess it does not matter.

The female angel is really tending the wigglers. One of them got loose and floated with the airstone bubble and she lunged at it and put it back onto the rock.

The male angel, however, is eating them. I think there were over 100 eggs on the slate, when I saw them being moved to the rock, may be there were about 80 of them. The male angel was pecking at them, I thought may be he was moving them but he was not spitting them out, he was chewing on them, and he kept at it and kept at it. The female will lung at anything that comes close, but she let the male angel eat the wigglers. He must have eaten 30, 40 of them by now. I tried to deter him by feeding some dry blood worms, the female ate them, the male took a few pecks and spit them back out, he likes the wigglers much more yummy I guess.

I knew he is no good, should have let the other male prevail.

I don't expect any left by tomorrow.

MiamiCuse
08-27-2008, 04:08 PM
This morning I have about 30 or so wigglers left. It seems instead of all spread out, they are all lumped together.

I did see the female moved a small bunch to the bottom of the leave of a sword plant, but it just sort of "cling" to it, then she took them back to the rock.

I did a partial water change last night to give them some fresh water.

Was thinking may be a few drops of MELAFIX may help with fungi reduction?

MiamiCuse
08-28-2008, 05:39 AM
They moved the fry to the leaves of a plant. Seems the number is further reduced to may be 30 to 35 now.

The parents are busy. I don't know how they cling to the leaves, but they do. Occasionally one of them will wiggle themselves off and fall, and the parent will pick them up and spit them back onto the leaves. So I assume I have to leave the lights on at night, or else they won't see their babies falling off?

I can see the wiggler's eyes and tails now. Still wiggling but I suspect will get free soon.

What do I feed them? I did some research and some said brine shrimp babies I really don't have time to hatch brine shrimps is there any good store bought items I can use? Some also suggested crusted hard boil egg yolk, will that work?

dean30bb
08-28-2008, 05:56 AM
i feed mine baby brine shimp aswell but its a bit hard considering u have to hatch the eggs and as soon as they hatch basicly u have to put the in for them to eat other wise the brines membrain will grow and the fry wont be able to digest them properly

well done for the fry by the way:19: :19:

sodsie
08-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Go angel fish im really interested in breeding them but not to sure any help would be appreciated