PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!

jas9487
08-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Hello

I have a two year old male beta fish. This passed time I was cleaning his tank I forgot to treat the tap water with the water conditioning drops I have. The next day, my fish was at the bottom of the tank on his side breathing (even thought he was dead at first). This was on Thursday (it is now the following Monday). As soon as I saw him at the bottom of the tank and realized I had forgotten the drops, I pulled him out of that tank and put him in new, treated water. I'm not sure what's wrong with him or what I should do. Once in awhile he works up enough energy to get to the top and seems as though he's trying to jump out of the tank. I thought he was going to die for sure that same day, but days later he is still in the same condition. He hasn't eaten since then since he can't get to the top to get the food. I'm thinking of putting a dissolvable food (the kind that lasts a few days for when you go on vacation, etc.) in the tank so he will get nutrients from the water. Do you think this is a good idea? Any ideas about what is wrong with my fish and what I could do for him? Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

My beta is in a 2 gallon tank by himself.

teach
08-26-2008, 12:43 PM
IMO I wouldnt put in the vacation feeder they seem to dirty up the water. as for what to do to make him better im not sure.

jas9487
08-26-2008, 12:55 PM
He is back in his normal tank now. I just didn't want him in there until the water had been treated. I decided not to put the vacation feeder in, however, I still don't know what to do about food for him. It's been almost a week since he's eaten any food. He is currently just laying on his side on the rocks with his head up a bit, barely breathing. He's been like this for days, I don't know what to do or what's wrong with him. If anyone knows anything please help!

angelcakes
08-26-2008, 02:07 PM
if im not mistaken a bettas life span is 2-3 years try some frozen bloodworm if not already

bettasandbeads
08-26-2008, 05:04 PM
Sounds like his lungs have been burnt by the chlorine in the untreated water.
Try putting something,eg, large leaf, in the tank with him so he can rest on it and still reach the air. You might try lowering the level of the water also so he doesn't have to swim so far up to get to the air.
You might add some Aquari-sol to the water. It helps when a fish has trouble breathing.
Don't know how much his lungs have been affected but hopefully he will recover.
As was suggested give him his favouret food, but just a little at a time. You also want to keep his water very clean until he starts to recover. Bettas can go for over a week with out eating.
Hope this helps and he recovers. A bettas life span is usually 2-3 years but some time they will live for up to 5.
Good Luck.
Catherine

f.lanzarone
08-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Your betta sounds like it is definantly hurt by the chemicals in the untreated water. The best thing to do is to make the water shallow, bettas have a special labrynth for breathing air and it is necessary for survival. So the less he has to work to get to the surface the better, than he also doesnt have to work as hard to get his food. I had a betta who was very picky, and didnt eat for a couple of weeks.. I could not find any food that he liked, I'm not sure how he survived, but luckily bettas can go for a while without food.