PDA

View Full Version : jumping fish?

Nautilus291
12-30-2006, 11:43 PM
I was wondering if fish just jump becuase they feel like it or if they are stressed. I had a platy jump last night. One of the other platies always bullied her and she always seemed kind of stressed. Then i added 2 gouramis last night and before i left she really looked stressed. Do they jump when there stressed out or is it just wierd timing.

blue fin
12-30-2006, 11:56 PM
I have 2 Hatchet fish, they like to jump and I doubt it has anything to do with stress but that doesn't mean yours isn't jumping due to stress.

jeffs99dime
12-31-2006, 12:15 AM
that's pretty common adam. lots of fish, especialy topwater variety (hatchets, butterfly, archer, etc) will jump. my columbian redfin tetra do the same. just keep an eye on the hatchets for other different,odd, behavior.

Severus
01-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Really any fish might jump for some reason. My Oscar practically jumps out of the water when he eats

Sin
01-14-2007, 04:52 AM
my arrowanas get jumpy during feeding times and get very splashy , yet that is quite normal..i had to place 3 indiviual 5 pounds of steel weights at the top of the cover since the fish are known to jump , and it seems like every other person whos had these fishes always has a story about comming home to find their beautiful fish on the floor dead , it is always a good idea to learn from other peoples mistakes , rather then to make them yourself...most any kinds of fish will jump if given the chance like 100GW said. . so a good strong cover is very important and nessary

Lady Hobbs
01-14-2007, 06:58 AM
Don't know as platies are much at jumping but he could have been getting chased.

Nautilus291
01-14-2007, 07:35 AM
I think thats what it is becuase one of my male platies was always trying to get a piece of her if you know what i mean.