PDA

View Full Version : help with cycling

sushicat
08-25-2008, 03:48 AM
its been 3 weeks and no nitrites is this normal?

fins_n_fur
08-25-2008, 04:19 AM
Possibly, it depends on how you are cycling. If you can provide us with some details like fishless or fishy cycle, size of tank, temp., type and size of filter, amount of ammonia you are adding a day (fishless), ammonia levels, we can probably give some hints or do some troubleshooting.

If you are doing a fishless cycle, you should be aiming to add enough ammonia daily to keep the ammonia reading at about 4-5 ppm, temp should be 80-84, and running an air stone doesn't hurt. You should not be cleaning your tank or your filter at all either. Do you have real plants?

sushicat
08-25-2008, 07:02 AM
ok im doing a fishless cycle with sdead shrimp(have 2 in there) >.>...its a 20 gallon and im running a peguin 200 and a aquatech 20, i have not been cleaning anything and i have a bubble wand at the back of the tank, i dont have real plants either.ty for your help, temp is around 80

SkinnyChicken
08-25-2008, 07:08 AM
I used dead shrimp and found it took ages to start decaying enough to create enough ammo to start the cycle - as fins said, your ammo needs to be somewhere in the region of 5ppm to be any use. Incidentally, I found that when using shrimp it was very difficult to regulate the amount of ammo produced when the cycle did kick in, and I ended up with levels so high that I'm sure even the bacteria started to die off !! Very smelly to and I do remember retching a lot during the process. Just keep on top of those tests and you'll see ammo soon I'm sure.

sushicat
08-25-2008, 07:13 AM
im probally gonna to test right now will post when im done

sushicat
08-25-2008, 07:21 AM
ok i just tested my water and the ammonia is between 4-8 >.> api test card is weird...i think its leaning towards being higher than 5 any advice?

SkinnyChicken
08-25-2008, 07:26 AM
If your ammo is showing above 5 and you still have no nitrite then its just a waiting game I'm afraid. You'll start seeing nitrite levels when the first stage bacteria colony is large enough to kick in and start producing enough waste. The time taken depends on a ready supply of ammo, slightly higher temperature than you'd normally use with fish, and good aeration. Try dropping the water level to half a tank too as that might also help.

sushicat
08-25-2008, 07:28 AM
ok but its like at 8ppm...ive got the temp up t 81 now and im running everything i guess its just a waiting game ;)

SkinnyChicken
08-25-2008, 07:30 AM
I wouldn't stress about the actual level of ammonia at this point. Later you'll want to reduce it if it continues to rise but for now as long as you have more than 5ppm you're good to go. Happy waiting, you'll soon have your fish ... what are you planning to get by the way?

sushicat
08-25-2008, 07:32 AM
i actuallly have no idea im thinking 3 gourmais (1 male 2 female) and a couple otos what else would you suggest?
EDIT: o and i removed one shrimp from the tank anyways ;)

SkinnyChicken
08-25-2008, 07:58 AM
Gouramis are cool though I have never had much luck with them myself - especially the dwarf varieties. I like Otos a lot too but they do like plants and can often be a worry if you need to medicate as they are sensitive to some meds. A bit of driftwood is also useful as they like to munch on it too. I have several varieties of Corys in my community tank and they make a good fish to give a little activity to the bottom of the tank (Panda and Julii are good looking little fish in my book). Good luck with your cycle and don't forget to post a few photos when your tank is up and running.