PDA

View Full Version : Discus with Angels

Full3R
12-30-2006, 07:47 AM
Is it true that u cannot keep discus with angels because today i saw a tank that contained sevral discus and about 4 angels also i found a picture on the net with discus mizzed with angels

Fishguy2727
12-30-2006, 02:00 PM
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I don't think it should be done. For one the discus are beautiful enough to not need anything else. The angels seem to be a little more aggressive and grow faster, so you end up with them picking on the discus. The angels are also more aggressive feeders and can outcompete the discus for adequate food.

Full3R
12-30-2006, 05:30 PM
oh i see, i wasnt planning on it was just curious, i remembered hearing something about the angelfish being kept with discus can cause health problem for the discus as they can suposedly make them sick by just being with them

jman
01-01-2007, 04:59 AM
yeah being w/ em and not allowing them to eat!!!!!!!
that's mest up

Lady Hobbs
01-01-2007, 05:03 AM
Not according to any of the compatiblity charts either. I already checked on it.

Fishguy2727
01-01-2007, 04:12 PM
It is really one of those variable compatibilities. Obviously enough people have it work that is is still in question, but I just think that it is too likely to not work that I have to say they should not cohabitate. Compatibility is where this situation is most likely to happen.

jeffs99dime
01-01-2007, 04:47 PM
yeah. i would shy away from angels too. to many problems can arise with that pair-up

Nite Vizhun
03-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Sorry, I haven't got a link, but I have read in more than one source that angels can carry a parasite that they are immune to but can infect discus.

Full3R
03-17-2007, 04:52 AM
Nite, In one of my more older posts in this thread i mentioned something about the angels just coz the discus to get sick, that is what i was refering to but couldnt remember how they affected them or wat i was, thank you very much :)

Nite Vizhun
03-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Sure thing, Full3R.

I may have been off about it being a parasite, it actually might be a disease. At any rate, recently more people have been saying that with so many discus and angels bred in captivity these days, that the chances of this happening are far more rare. There is still a degree of risk involved, though.

jestep
03-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Angelfish can carry intestinal parasites that can be transmitted to and kill the discus. Just based on the investment it is to own and maintain discus, there is no way that I would keep the two together.