PDA

View Full Version : Salmonella

lyrklaunavan
08-23-2008, 10:36 AM
This excerpt is from

http://www.petstation.com/repsalmo.html

"Many people in herpetology ask why they should be concerned about this issue when the vast majority of Salmonellosis infections come from sources other than reptiles. The reason is simple. While this statement may be true, reptiles still constitute a proven and significant source of infection; even if they represent only a small percentage of all the cases they still represent a visible target for public health and lawmakers to go after. Hundreds of thousands of infants and toddlers became ill with turtle-associated salmonellosis in the 1960's and 1970's. While these cases may have been only a small percentage of the millions of total Salmonellosis cases they still were a significant number. The fact that infants and toddlers were involved made their numbers all the more visible. Reptile-associated salmonellosis is an an issue that concerns the herpetological community and can be dealt with successfully.
"

Is there a statistics that shows the probability of infected hobbyists from keeping turtles? Is this disease deadly?

troy
08-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Yes, it can be deadly.I've always been very cautious about salmonella. I always wash my hads after handling herps. I feel many are quite ignorant when it comes to salmonella.

cocoa_pleco
08-23-2008, 05:14 PM
thats the reason we cant have turtles here in alberta, the government is worried kids will get salmonella. only way we can have turtles here is if we bring them in from another province

lyrklaunavan
08-23-2008, 09:01 PM
The salesman in aqurium shop told me these about Salmonella today:" It is dangerous for infants kids up to 5 years age. Not dangerous for the people above those ages because if you get the virus from oral ways, it goes to stomach and stomach acids kill those bacterias. I have almost twenty turtles and I am lazy to wear gloves or whatever to handle them but when I touch them I wash my hand with HOT water(not cold!) and a soap. Thats all. And I am healthy for 30 years"

Thats what he said. Every job hobby has some safety rules and we have to obey them. I think like that. But this thing is important.If there is a bruise or some open place in your hand, you have to use the other one to take the turtles. Thats my conclusion.

Fishguy2727
08-24-2008, 01:05 AM
It is not a virus for one, and stomach acid is not a major player in immunity. It is more of a concern for those with weakened immune systems (infants and young children, the elderly, certain medical conditions, etc.).

ANY aquatic environment can harbor salmonella, not just turtles. When aquatic conditions are not maintained properly they can allow for many types of pathogens to become very populated, so it is not just salmonella that is a risk.

The only case I have ever heard of was a customer who had a huge 100 gallons semi-aquatic setup with lizards and other stuff that was not as clean as it could be. Somehow a cross-contamination took place that gave his infant the pathogen. At one point they changed 27 diapers with bloody diarrhea within 24 hours, this is why they went to the hospital. The pathogen identified was the type of salmonella that causes dysentery. It was such a unique and rare pathogen that the hospital sent out a health inspector to the man's house. He knew what the ultimate cause was and before they even sent the health inspector he did the responsible thing and got rid of the entire setup.