PDA

View Full Version : Doug's 75g FW planted

Pages : 1 [2]

doug z
12-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Here's a recent shot after a much needed trim of the Alternanthera and Zosterfolia..

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/dougzdanivsky/tankdec3Large.jpg

doug z
12-10-2008, 12:50 AM
Ok, finally got my CO2 reactor hooked up right..

Man, what a hassle!! :(

Also, my 'Lily' tube suctions arrived today, so I installed those..

Much more discrete than the Eheim green..

LORENZO
12-10-2008, 01:10 AM
what is that plant floating on the surface? Is that onynx sand by Seachem for the substrate. The neons look good. Nice tank. I just set up a 75 as well today. Looks Amano like! very nice.:ssmile:

doug z
12-10-2008, 01:23 AM
what is that plant floating on the surface?

Amazon Frogbit

http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/e_Limnobium_laevigatum.php

Substrate is CaribSea Eco-Complete.

The "neons" are actually cardinal tetras.. :)

Kinda hard to tell from that distance, I know..

I should coral the frogbit into one corner or another..

Bit too distracting, leaving it to roam free..

I've also taken that temp probe holer on the right and attached it to the back wall behind the plants..

The yo-yos won't be happy with me, though..

They loved swimming around the space between the holder and the side of the tank..

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/dougzdanivsky/th_yo-yos.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/dougzdanivsky/?action=view&current=yo-yos.flv)

maybe they'll do it on the back, as well.. We'll see..

Maybe I'll just use a black holder.. :)

LORENZO
12-10-2008, 01:41 AM
Carib sea... nice. LIke the frogbite i have not seen that amazon frogbite. Good for angels and gouramis.WEll i know the discus would like it. They like wisteria floating about. I have that dark background and i find that is good with plants. What fertilizer are you using on those plants? Is this your first time with co2 injection? oh another question your yo yo how big are they in that 75 gallon?

doug z
12-10-2008, 01:49 AM
First time with everything.. :)

Ferts are as follows:

60 80 Gallon Aquariums

tsp KN03
tsp KH2P04 Mon, Wed, Fri
tsp K2SO4

tsp (20ml) Trace Elements Tues, Thurs, Saturday

Sunday 50% weekly water change

Yo-yo's are about 3" presently..

I got the frogbit as I am told the tetras like their shaded areas as well..

They don't like to go into the middle-upper level of the tank, and that's disappointing..

Maybe when I add some more..

Lights still too bright? I dunno..

Brookfish
12-10-2008, 02:01 AM
That is one beautiful tank, it's a credit to you, cool vid to!

doug z
12-10-2008, 03:13 AM
Thanks.. :)

NickFish
12-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Anything new to speak of Doug?

Things still going good?

doug z
12-26-2008, 10:01 PM
Unfortunately, no..

I was hoping to add the 15 cardinals and 4 cockatoos before Christmas, but a cold snap has forced me to delay that.. :(

I added 5 goldfish to the QT in a misguided attempt to up the bioload in preperation for their arrival, but all that did is crash my tank (I was getting .25 for ammonia).. Well, Dave66 said it would crash it.. I dunno if things would have settled down after a week or so of daily WC's.. But I went with the voice of experience and returned them to the lfs, and my readings are back to normal..

When the new fish come, I think I'm just going to have to risk putting the cardinals into the main tank right away, and the cockatoos in the QT, adding Stability to both tanks as per directions, and adding another seeded Aquaclear filter to the QT tank and doing daily WC's..

Thoughts?

I guess I could ask if I could put some in the tanks of the lfs here, but....

My cannister is still leaking.. Still have to see about reseating the gasket and/or applying some silicone lube.

Oh, the one thing that's happened yesterday that is a real wake-up for me..

This week I noticed that the yo-yos and the SAE weren't out and about like the usually are..

I thought maybe there was something wrong with water quality, but the tests came up negative..

Then I noticed the water temp was only 74!!

Looks like my Stealth heater has crapped out!! :(

So I did a WC and added higher temp water right away, then put in a spare Stealth 250W heater I had lying around..

(but don't trust it, either, since I was using it to heat up WC water, and had it come out of the water while still plugged in a few times.. I've learned since that if that happens, sometimes the heater will not shut off at set point!!).

So I've learned 2 things from this debacle:

a) Stealth heaters aren't the rock solid, set-it-and-forget-it heaters I took them for.

b) I should get a thermometer with high and low temp alarms!

Thermometer and heater (another Stealth.. maybe I should have gone with a Jager?) on order..

Rue
12-26-2008, 10:15 PM
The tank is beautiful! Good job.thumbs2:

What happened to the goldies?

doug z
12-26-2008, 10:42 PM
Like I say, I took them back to the lfs and they put them back in the goldfish tank..

Rue
12-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Ah! Musta missed that bit...sorry...need to read more better...:hmm3grin2orange:

NickFish
12-29-2008, 12:49 AM
Then I noticed the water temp was only 74!!

Looks like my Stealth heater has crapped out!! :(

So I did a WC and added higher temp water right away, then put in a spare Stealth 250W heater I had lying around..

(but don't trust it, either, since I was using it to heat up WC water, and had it come out of the water while still plugged in a few times.. I've learned since that if that happens, sometimes the heater will not shut off at set point!!).

So I've learned 2 things from this debacle:

a) Stealth heaters aren't the rock solid, set-it-and-forget-it heaters I took them for.

b) I should get a thermometer with high and low temp alarms!

Thermometer and heater (another Stealth.. maybe I should have gone with a Jager?) on order..

Ouch, thats too bad.

I too noticed this, and switch to Rena Smart heaters at the beginning of this year. Not as...stealthy as the stealth, but much more powerful and reliable, at least in my experience. They work best when attached to the filter intake, they serve as a heater and an intake, there by heating not only the water around them, but also all the water that passes into the canister. As accurate as the stealth too, keeps my water to within .2 of a degree.

Stealths are nice, but they don't have the power that the Renas do. Another good thing, is the Renas have a cool warning light, that turns on when it is working, and flashes when something is wrong. Like if the water temp drops to low, or it short curcuits. In theory, if the heating coil were to break, but the heater was still plugged in, it would flash and warn you. So even if it breaks (which I can't see happening), you can tell very quickly.

Problem is, for them to work at peak performance, they must be attached to the filter. So if you don't have a Rena canister, you may need to modify yours a bit.

I've heard good things about Jager, never put them to the test though.

doug z
12-29-2008, 12:58 AM
Renas have a cool warning light, that turns on when it is working

This is what I like about my Hydor hydrostat and cable heater..

At least there I know if they're on or not..

NickFish
12-29-2008, 01:01 AM
You got it!

Oh, and congrats on totm!

doug z
12-29-2008, 01:03 AM
Thanks!!!!

doug z
12-29-2008, 06:41 AM
Some of my corys frolicking.. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIbnG6KOmmU

Dave66
12-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Cuties, aren't they Doug? Nice film. Now people know why I say the more the merrier with Corys :)

Dave

NickFish
12-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Awwww!

I love watching cories frolick!

Like Dave said, more is certainly merrier! Especially when you have 200+ little babies swimming around a planted fry tank. Now THAT is fun to watch!

Enjoy them!

cocoa_pleco
12-29-2008, 06:44 PM
thats the one thing i miss, cories. i used to breed albinos and i had dozens in a tank at a time, and the tanks were loaded with java ferns to spawn on. they used to lay on the leaves then one by one in a line go up for air

doug z
01-20-2009, 07:15 AM
Oh man I'm such an IDIOT!!

That was a close one.. :(

I replaced the peat in my filter a couple days ago, and because my CO2 cylinder went empty the day after, I was thinking, well, at least the peat will keep the pH down (rather than the CO2), and I unplugged my air bubbler from my timer, so the aeration wouldn't drive the pH up (my set point is 6.3)..

I won't be able to refill the CO2 cylinder for a couple more days yet..

But this morning I really noticed how murky it's making the water!

But I didn't even think to check the pH..

I've been so used to the pH controller keeping it at set point, and I thought there's no way I'll have to worry about the pH being too LOW..

But sure enough, during the afternoon I see the yo-yos hanging around the surface of the water..

But I think nothing of it, as they sometimes hang out there to eat snails that have attached themselves to the undersides of the frogbit (a floating plant)..

And then this evening I see my SAE doing the same, and my pandas are making frequent trips to the surface to catch a breath, I run up to the tank and sure enough, all their poor little gills are just a flappin'...

And all at once it hits me..

I run up to the tank and sure enough, all their poor little gills are just a flappin'... :(

(the fish that aren't air breathers, that is.. The yo-yos, cardinals, and the SAE)

!!!!

The PEAT!!

The air pump's been off for 2 days!!

(I usually have it on all night)..

I check the pH and it's 5.8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right away I turn the air pump on, and within 15-20 minutes their behavior starts going back to normal.. They come down from the surface, everybody becomes more active again..

Poor little fellas.. :(

So I hooked the air pump into the pH controller (Like I say I have it hooked into my timer.. It goes on as soon as the lights go off), and it will stay on till the pH gets back to 6.3..

But that was close!!!!!

Makes me sick just thinking about it........

Commodore 64
01-20-2009, 04:20 PM
My pH goes down to 5.5 or lower every night since I have DIY CO2 and can't shut it off. None of my fish have issues with this...cories, rams, rummies, RTS.

I think it was more of a Oxygen deficiency than a pH problem.

doug z
01-20-2009, 06:25 PM
You could be right, as I was just thinking "why would the O2 be affected by the pH?"..

I've had the air on all night, and it's still not back to 6.3 yet..

I'll do a 20% water change with tap water (7.8), and see if that does it, and I'll have my CO2 cylinder filled tomorrow..

Cameron
01-20-2009, 07:20 PM
that sucks, i love your tank thumbs2: I hope you get everything straitened out and yourself in the right of mind :help: jk everyone makes mistakes now you know.

doug z
01-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Yup, that will teach me..

Dumb, too, thinking the peat/pH would have been the culprit..

But at least it got me thinking about the O2 levels..

I'll be glad when I get my CO2 refilled and everything can go back to normal!

Goes to show that planted tanks do indeed need 02 supplementation!!!

Just because there's plants in there doesn't mean they're making more O2 than they're using up..

Commodore 64
01-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Doug, I'm witness the same thing as far as O2. I am running 1 filter on my 75g, while I wait for a new Eheim to arrive...and it's a Fluval 305. The fFluval 305 puts out a good current, but I have it running through UV sterilizer so the discharge end is much larger than the stock Fluval 305 tip...so I get much less surface agitation.

I noticed a little heavy breathing that went away when I added a bubbler.

doug z
01-20-2009, 07:56 PM
How heavily planted is your tank?

Commodore 64
01-20-2009, 08:14 PM
An absolutely enormous sword, tons of elodea/anacharis, and some big clumps of java moss.

I would think it would classify as moderately planted...and 108 watts of T5 lighting...which is probably solidly on the high-end of low light. I do manage to keep a 4dkh drop checker in the green, but I don't get pearling.

doug z
01-20-2009, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I don't get pearling, either..

I did for a bit when I first started using C02 and the riccia especially went through a growth spurt..

But I don't think my C02 ppm is anywhere near 30..

My drop checker shows green as well, but apparently that can mean anything between 15 and 45ppm!

Not as accurate as I would have hoped, unfortunately..

Commodore 64
01-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Even with 4dkH water there is that much wiggle room in the interpretation of the colors?

Hmm. Well. I think that most normal people (and several in the PPS-Pro section at aquaticplantcentral) think that 15 is plenty for good growth.

doug z
01-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Yeah, 30ppm is the extreme..

doug z
01-22-2009, 06:32 AM
I went by the lfs in Prince George today and they had some silver hachetfish..

So, being dejected about yet another delay on my cockatoos and cardinals (they're again whining that it's too cold to ship), I picked up all they had (6, luckily).. Wish there had been 10 at least, but oh well.. $10 a fish, though!! :(

I'll put them in the QT for a month..

I also got my C02 cylinder refilled..

Luckily I was just under the 5 year static test date, or that would have been another $40 AND I would have had to wait a day and make another special trip to pick it up..

lovleeko
01-22-2009, 06:36 AM
I went by the lfs in Prince George today and they had some silver hachetfish..

So, being dejected about yet another delay on my cockatoos and cardinals (they're again whining that it's too cold to ship), I picked up all they had (6, luckily).. Wish there had been 10 at least, but oh well.. $10 a fish, though!! :(

I'll put them in the QT for a month..

I also got my C02 cylinder refilled..

Congrats! 10 dollars a fish! This must be a difference in currency. I too want to increase my school of cards and they have none at my LFS. They do at pet smart for five dollars a piece and their two dollars at the local fish store. And I can go on two for tuesday and get them for a dollar a piece. I think I'll wait:hmm3grin2orange:

doug z
01-22-2009, 06:40 AM
They got plenty of neons, but who cares??!! :(

They got congos, serpaes, rummy noses.. Every other sort of tetra but cardinals.. Ridiculous!! :(

The place where I'm getting the cardinals is $2 a fish, too..

I think they screwed me on the price, though..

Pretty sure if I bought 6 the price per fish went down to $8 a fish or something..

Didn't click till I got home and went through the receipts..

I'll call tomorrow and see if I can get my $16 from them next time I'm in town.. LOL

lovleeko
01-22-2009, 06:56 AM
They got plenty of neons, but who cares??!! :(

They got congos, serpaes, rummy noses.. Every other sort of tetra but cardinals.. Ridiculous!! :(

The place where I'm getting the cardinals is $2 a fish, too..

I think they screwed me on the price, though..

Pretty sure if I bought 6 the price per fish went down to $8 a fish or something..

Didn't click till I got home and went through the receipts..

I'll call tomorrow and see if I can get my $16 from them next time I'm in town.. LOL

Yeah I would call for sure. That sucks about the cards. It seems at my LFS they are always running out. I need corys to which they are having a problem getting. There are peppered corys everywhere but nothing else. Oh yeah, Albino (which I hate). It sucks.

Hailey
01-22-2009, 07:09 AM
Yeah I would call for sure. That sucks about the cards. It seems at my LFS they are always running out. I need corys to which they are having a problem getting. There are peppered corys everywhere but nothing else. Oh yeah, Albino (which I hate). It sucks.

Same with me! There are tonnes an tonnes of albinos available, their always stocked, but I hate them. They seem so creepy to me. Oh and bronze corys are always in too, but nothing better than that.

tim k
01-24-2009, 07:38 PM
I have been slowly reading through this entire post today between doing other things around the house and all I can say is thanks for sharing your learning experience with us both good and bad.

Excellent reading with some great information for those that would like to try a plant tank of their own , certainly a tale of what to do and what not to do.

Tank looks fantastic Doug please keep the post going.

Tim K

doug z
01-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Thanks! :ssmile:

doug z
01-30-2009, 06:22 AM
Woohoo!

FINALLY got my fish order..

I'll be fully stocked, once I add the cardinals after they come out of QT.

Another 2 SAE (true SAE, I'm told.. again..).

3 male dwarf cockatoos, 3 females (or was it 4?)..

and 15 cardinals.

The cardinals are really small, under .5".. They went into the QT tank.

The extraneous male cockatoos (2) went into the QT tank as well. I'll hold onto them until I know for sure the male in the main tank will survive.. They were all in the seller's tank for over a month, with no other fish added during that time, so no need to QT them.

After I'm sure he'll make it, I may sell them to the LFS, I dunno.. I want the QT tank to remain a QT tank, and if I keep adding fish.. LOL

I took the 6 danios from the QT tank and put them in the main tank..

It took FOREVER to get them!!

They are a new-found delight in their new home!

Whereas they were pretty much swimming in circles in the 20g, you can really see them stretch their legs in the 75g.. Just burning all over the place.. Top, middle, bottom, back to top... "Hey, look! Plants! Who are those guys? Let's have a look!!"

I think I'm going to keep them in the 75, I think..

For one, if it took me an hour to get them out of a barren 20g, there is NO way I'll have any chance of grabbing them out of a planted 75g!!!

And they really do look like they've come into their own in the 75.. Just happy as can be..

I'll keep the hatchets in the 20g, and THEY will keep it cycled..

The cockatoos sank like stones to the bottom and are all hiding.. Hope that's normal..

The 2 SAE began schooling with the other SAE right away, and look to be getting along famously..

I'll have to have a closer look at them tomorrow, and see if they really are different than the ones I have already..

I'll try to get some pics or video tomorrow..

I've got some Seachem Stability, and will be adding it liberally to both tanks for a week..

I'll also be doing WC's on the 20 at least every 3 days (maybe more, depending on the water tests)..

Hopefully I won't crash my QT tank!!

I didn't factor in the hatchets!!!

I WAS going to add 5 more pandas or so, but it's definitely looking busy in my 75g now!! So we'll see.. I probably will.. :)

Still think I'm understocked??

Hailey
01-30-2009, 06:41 AM
Well sounds like the new fish are doing great. I cant wait for pictures! I love your tank. Do you think you would ever put some loaches in there? Their the best community fish, so entertaining.

doug z
01-30-2009, 06:45 AM
Yup, I have two 3" yo-yos in there..

I'd get more, but they get BIG..

They're great..

My little dolphin duo!

They mostly come out in the evening, and do circles around a plant leaf on the side of the tank, like hamsters on a wheel.. LOL

Hailey
01-30-2009, 06:51 AM
Oh ok, I wasnt sure if you did have any in there.
Well I cant think of any other fish you could put in there.
Well cant wait to see new picsthumbs2:

doug z
01-30-2009, 06:55 AM
My pics are always crap, so don't get your hopes up... LOL

But I can't see how I could screw up a video or two.. :)

Like I say, if anything, I'll add 5 more pandas, but that'd be IT..

tim k
01-30-2009, 10:26 AM
How has the algae been , under control now?
What fish are eating it for you?

I love the Danios , my old 120g plant tank I had ten King Danios and they were awesome to watch.

Thanks Tim

Commodore 64
01-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Doug,

What is your total stock in the 75g looking like now?

I've got 16 Rummy Nose, 7GBR, 1GGR, 1RTS, 7 Cories, 2 zebra danio leftovers and one old Buenos Aries Tetra in my 75g. And lots of snails.

doug z
01-30-2009, 01:22 PM
How has the algae been , under control now?

Yup, mostly due to the addition of fertilizer and CO2..

I have a bristlenose and 4 otos for algae eaters, though.. I'm sure they do their part..

What is your total stock in the 75g looking like now?

Have a look at my signature..

{ 6 pandas : 6 zebra danios : 5 cardinals (soon to be 20) : 4 otos : 4 cockatoos (1m/3f) : 4 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN }

doug z
01-31-2009, 07:23 AM
Day 2:

I lost a female cockatoo.. :(

So down to 3 (he said he shipped 4, I forgot to count, putting them in, and darned if I can see where they all are at one time.. Sure like hiding..

The tank parameters are fine..

But I'm reading they like a MIN. tank temp of 79F, and I run mine at 77..

Could this be a problem?

I did a 25% WC on the 20g, and added Stability to both tanks..

I couldn't get a good photo of the cockatoos, but here is the photo my seller took of one of the males..

http://www.canadianaquatics.com/stock/IMG_2694.JPG

Here is a couple videos:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/dougzdanivsky/th_tankvideoo209.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/dougzdanivsky/?action=view&current=tankvideoo209.flv)

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/dougzdanivsky/th_cockatoosandcardinalsjan09.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/dougzdanivsky/?action=view&current=cockatoosandcardinalsjan09.flv)
QT TANK

You can kinda see one of the male cockatoos at the bottom right and left of the tank..

The cardinals are sure hugging the bottom.. :(

Hopefully when they get settled they'll branch out..

Hailey
01-31-2009, 08:00 AM
Wow the fish in your main look really good. Big, healthy, fat, and active. you've made the perfect home for them, I can tell. I'm very jealous. I always look forward to your posts.

And I'm sure the cardinals will come around.

doug z
01-31-2009, 01:35 PM
See what I mean about the hampster wheel? :)

At the end you can kinda see one of the female cockatoos..

Yup, one of my danios.. The only word that comes to mind is "gravid"! LOL

But I haven't seen any eggs, so.... Just morbidly obese, I guess..

And no matter how I try to make sure he gets nothing for a few days, he stays the same..

Not sure WHAT to do..

Dave66
01-31-2009, 08:53 PM
Not a thing Doug. I assume you aren't feeding flakes, so it's doubtful he/she/it has intestinal blocking. You can tell if its a girl as her middle stripe is visibly wider than the males'. She's heavier built, but as quick as zebra danios move, it's a lot easier to know which are males and which are females by the width of the center stripe.

If indeed she's a she, look carefully. If she's egg-laden you can see them through her abdominal wall. They usually scatter the eggs on fine-leaved plants early in the morning.

My mob of danios breed all the time, every day. Just hors devours for the other fish, really.

When you flesh out your Cardinal school you'll see the Apistos a lot more.

Dave

Jellygirl
02-01-2009, 12:21 AM
Gosh Doug, I have sat here for best part of the evening reading this post. First of all I would like to congratulate you on the setting up of such a lovely tank and sharing its progress with us. I have just upped my lighting from T8 to T5 and am experiencing all the problems you have had with algae too and I know I have to fine tweek its water parameters a little (macro and micro nutrients).

I did read if you overdose with easy carbo (liquid co2) that that takes care of any algae issues or a total black out for three days. Hopefully mine won't come to that.

I also congratulate you on going the full hog with all the technical bits (Far too technical for me, but what I would love). I had no idea this was your first tank - just goes to prove patience is a virtue. Dwarf cichlids are my favourite (apistogramma aggies), but have given up due to my really bad water parameters coming out of the tap.

Anyways back to the main subject. Well done and thanks for sharing. Keep us posted.

Jellygirl

doug z
02-01-2009, 02:04 AM
I assume you aren't feeding flakes

Nope.. Frozen bloodworms and mysis, NLS small fish formula..

it's a lot easier to know which are males and which are females by the width of the center stripe.

Ok, thanks, Dave, I'll have a look..

Just about went cross-eyed yesterday trying to see if the 2 other SAE I just got are Langei..

They have barbels, and the ventral blotch, so that's a yes, I believe..

First of all I would like to congratulate you on the setting up of such a lovely tank

Thanks!

For the algae, if you do a bit more reading you'll see that blackouts don't work very well..

And as you'll have read on my thread, I manually removed as much BBA and thread algae as I could, then dosed with liquid carbon, but what really did away with it was to start with the dry fert regimen..

doug z
02-02-2009, 12:02 AM
Day 4: More Stability for both tanks, 25% WC on the 20g..

No more losses (knock on wood), and no behavior or physical anomalies..

Water parameters on both tanks are good..

I noticed the cardinals in the QT and the female cockatoos in the main tank were looking a bit more at home and ventured beyond the bottom of the tank for a bit..

doug z
02-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Day 5:

WC on the 75. Stability added to both tanks, water parameters normal.

Hopefully we're out of the woods, in terms of ammonia spikes..

(knock on wood)

Cardinals are finally showing some good color, and are feeding..

Cockatoos look skittish, still, but are eating a little bit, anyways..

I think I'm going to get a couple ottos for the diatoms, etc. in the QT tank..

Still thinking about selling the 2 extraneous males in the QT tank..

doug z
02-04-2009, 10:43 PM
I got some decent pics of my cockatoos in the main tank today..

They are finally venturing out from the tennelus and wandering freely around the tank..

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/dougzdanivsky/malecokatoofeb.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/dougzdanivsky/femalecockatoofeb.jpg
Female cockatoo

And I got a good video of one of my TRUE (well, Langei) SAE munching on a zucchini...

He's the smaller of the 2 being taped.. Around the middle of the video you can clearly make out the barbels against the backdrop of the zucchini..

And at the very end, a good close-up of my pandas.. :)

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/dougzdanivsky/th_SAEandcorysfeb09.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/dougzdanivsky/?action=view&current=SAEandcorysfeb09.flv)

doug z
02-05-2009, 01:00 AM
And here's a pretty lousy video of that BIG female danio..

There are 2 other females (out of 6), as you can see in the video, but she's the biggest..

Gonna call her big mama.. :)

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/dougzdanivsky/th_bigmamadaniofeb09.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/dougzdanivsky/?action=view&current=bigmamadaniofeb09.flv)

Hailey
02-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Those SAEs look great, thier loving that cucumber.

And your corys are so cute! I loved them there sitting in a line. I think I'm going to get some more, but for some reason I havent had any luck with them.

Thanks for the updates!

doug z
02-05-2009, 10:32 PM
I loved them there sitting in a line

They freeze like that when they notice you, hoping you'll go away.. :)

Same with the cockatoos and BN..

The other guys just book for the back of the tank..

Hailey
02-06-2009, 01:29 AM
They freeze like that when they notice you, hoping you'll go away.. :)

Same with the cockatoos and BN..

The other guys just book for the back of the tank..

LOL thats cute!
So what do you feed your corys? they look nice and fat, which none of mine ever did.

doug z
02-06-2009, 01:38 AM
So what do you feed your corys?

I got them NLS H20 wafers, cause I thought they'd like it.. Nothing..

Same for the Hikari wafers..

All they eat are frozen bloodworms (LOVE 'em!!), the NLS small fish formula that makes it to the bottom of the tank, and frozen mysis shrimp..

cocoa_pleco
02-06-2009, 01:40 AM
nice healthy corys with beautiful barbels!

doug z
02-06-2009, 01:46 AM
What can I say? :)

Bloodworms and Eco-complete.. thumbs2:

Oh, and a minimum of 6!

I should get some more..

But Svetlana says with 15 more cardinals coming in a couple weeks, it'll be too crowded.. :)

doug z
02-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Well, I've found out the hard way what happens when these C. Langei do when they don't have their veggies (not enough algae for them, since I started adding dry ferts)..

They rip into my riccia!!

For a couple weeks I've been wondering my riccia has been so bedraggled, with big clumps floating on the surface..

I thought maybe it had just been getting too buoyant, from me getting behind on trimming it..

But today a light clicked on..

The C. Langei!

So now I have to either appease them with more veggies, or try to capture them and put them in my 20g QT..

Look like I might have to appease them! :(

Tried for an hour to catch them.. Nothing doing!!

troy
02-13-2009, 11:41 PM
Sorry about that. Your corys are little hams.

doug z
02-14-2009, 12:11 AM
Sorry about that.

Live and learn.. :)

NickFish
02-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Ok, so its been three days.
Manage to catch those SAE yet Doug or have you been at it this whole time? :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

They are tricky little buggers, thats for sure!

cocoa_pleco
02-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Ok, so its been three days.
Manage to catch those SAE yet Doug or have you been at it this whole time?

*doug with bloodshot eyes*

GET IN THE FRIGGIN NET ALREADY! *snaps net in half*

labnjab
02-16-2009, 06:02 PM
*doug with bloodshot eyes*

GET IN THE FRIGGIN NET ALREADY! *snaps net in half*

LMAO.......

NickFish
02-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Well the good news is that if you're chasing them with a net 24/7 they won't have enough time to eat anything. So just keep at that and you should be good!

doug z
02-17-2009, 04:20 AM
I've definitely felt like going Roy Scheider on their asses with some mini scuba tanks..

"Smile, you sons of bitches!" LOL

I've only had the patience to do 20 minutes at a time, a few times a day..

I've caught ONE of them..

Still trying to catch the other one..

The 2 SAE impostors can stay, I think..

doug z
02-22-2009, 01:07 AM
I put it in my blog, but I'll put it here, too, for easy reference..

Just wanted to put down the dates I introduced each fish to my tank:

Otos and BN: Sept 23/08

Pandas (6): Sept 28/08

Yo-yos: Sept 29?/08

Cardinals (5): Nov 8/08

SAE (2): Nov 23/08

Cockatoos (4): Jan 28/09

SAE (2): Jan 28/09

Cardinals (15): Feb 27/09

doug z
02-22-2009, 03:04 AM
Here's a recent pic..

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/dougzdanivsky/tankfeb2109.jpg

You can see how the tennelus has come back after the weeding I did to get rid of the black thread (staghorn) algae..

The SAE must be eating the tennlus, too, though, as you can also see how it's growing in reddish-pink in places, a sure sign that the tips have been clipped (not by me!)..

Which brings us to the riccia, which is sadly diminished.. :(

I caught one of the offending SAE, but I think I'm going to have to bottle trap the other one..

He's got my number.. :(

I don't think I'll ever do alternanthera ever again..

Even at 2.9 wpg it is as leggy as all get out..

Thinking about doing moss instead of riccia as well.. As beautiful as it is, it is annoying to have stray bits of it float to the surface, then get blown back down by my filter outlets, to get hopelessly tangled in my tennelus and A. var nana, etc.

Though I'm told mosses are just as bad in this respect..

Cabomba too has been a sad disappointment.. Just not enough light, I guess..

They are just freakish weeds with the current lighting..

My next aquascape is going to be all about the lower wattage plants..

Anubias, crypts, amazon swords (E. martii, maybe?), mosses..

tim k
02-26-2009, 11:46 PM
Dave

Are you using glass on top or going open?

I have been contiplating suspending my light and going without glass.

Do you have any pics of your SAEs ?
Thanks Tim K

tim k
02-27-2009, 12:08 AM
Sorry Doug not sure were Dave came from , been a long week.(blush)

Tim k

doug z
02-27-2009, 12:57 AM
I'm using glass, Tim..

For 3 reasons:

1) I want to make sure there is no possibility the lights will fall in the tank.

2) You lose alot less water to evaporation with the top covered.

3) Even though I don't have any fish that are considered "jumpers", again, better safe than sorry..

Here are a couple pics of my "SAE impostors" (Crossocheilus atrilimes, which don't really eat algae)..

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/dougzdanivsky/SAELarge.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/dougzdanivsky/nov08SAE2Large.jpg

And here is a video of the 2 C. langei SAE that I have, which DO eat algae (well, riccia, anyways.. LOL).

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/dougzdanivsky/th_SAEandcorysfeb09.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/dougzdanivsky/?action=view&current=SAEandcorysfeb09.flv)

Fishalicious has an excellent thread that helps identify TRUE SAE from the impostors..

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=33198&highlight=algae+eater

tim k
02-27-2009, 01:05 AM
I was thinking it would greatly improve the quality of light in the tank .

Thanks for the links.

Tim k

doug z
02-27-2009, 01:12 AM
I was thinking it would greatly improve the quality of light in the tank

Not if you're cleaning the glass fairly regularly..

doug z
02-27-2009, 02:25 AM
Some cool stuff to report:

I moved the 15 cardinals into the main tank, after 29 days in QT..

I sold the 2 cockatoos in the QT tank to the lfs, as I gave up on trying to get more females.. I WILL get some pottery caves for the cockatoos in the main tank, though..

And finally, I noticed some eggs in the bottom of the QT tank when I was taking the cardinals out! 4 or 5 sacs with about 6-8 eggs each in them..

There's no way to tell wether they're from the hatchets or the cardinals, is there?

How long do they take to hatch?

Will the hatchets or the SAE eat the fry?

lovleeko
02-27-2009, 06:40 AM
Your tank is just awesome doug! I love cabomba too. Mine keeps getting uprooted :( I have only had it about a month and it no longer looks nice and lush. I have it in a ten at 2wpg so I knew it might die. It is alive and I don't really know if it will make it or no. Oh well. Anyway, just had to tell you the tank looks really nice. thumbs2: I love that grass.

doug z
02-27-2009, 06:42 AM
Thanks!

I just wish I could catch that other SAE so I can get my riccia growing again..

I'll get a video tomorrow of the tank with all the cardinals in the same tank, finally..

doug z
03-06-2009, 05:28 AM
Here's a video after I added the other cardinals:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/dougzdanivsky/th_tankmarch409.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/dougzdanivsky/?action=view&current=tankmarch409.flv)

They don't school as tightly as I hoped, but not too bad.

They're eating well..

Red
03-06-2009, 05:31 AM
hey doug, I have a tank over here that wants to be planted and t has your name on it haa.
Awesome looking tank! Have you ever thought about adding GBR?

doug z
03-06-2009, 05:36 AM
GBR was an option I was mulling, but I heard they can be skittish, so I went with option 2: cocaktoos, which I heard were also one of the hardiest dwarf cichlids..

Red
03-06-2009, 05:38 AM
Really? I guess my GBR are not the norm. I cant take a picture of other fish because they follow the camera around trying to get the picture taken of them.

doug z
03-06-2009, 05:40 AM
Well, I heard alot of people from both sides of the fence, behavior-wise..

And I thought: with my luck.. LOL

That, and I had an even harder time sourcing them than I did the cockatoos! :((

Red
03-06-2009, 05:53 AM
Yeah if your going to get them, get them from someone like algenco and not asian bred ones. NIce looking tank again doug :)

doug z
03-06-2009, 06:47 AM

Sir Tristen
03-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Wow, Doug! That tank just keeps looking better and better :18: :18: :18:

Crispy
03-06-2009, 04:34 PM
I am 'green' with envy Doug! :hmm3grin2orange: Beautifully lush tank!

*Sarah*
03-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Your tank looks great! I love a nice planted tank, hope to have one myself some day.

doug z
03-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Gotta love tennelus.. :)

doug z
04-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Had a scare, yesterday..

I guess the solonoid on my CO2 system stuck in the open position..

I didn't notice this all day, and went to work for my night shift..

Good thing my wife noticed the fish hanging around the top of the tank!

She phoned me and I pretty much right away figured what the problem was, and got her to just shut the CO2 main cut-off valve, and turn on the air..

Phew!!!

Goes to show you should NEVER get too complacent with an automated set-up!

Check it EVERY day, 2 times a day!

Check everything: Temp, pH, CO2 bubble checker, CO2 drop checker..

Northernguy
04-09-2009, 05:24 PM
WOW Doug!thumbs2: That tank has come a long way since I last saw it! I really like it! Your plants look awesome!:22:

doug z
04-09-2009, 05:54 PM

doug z
06-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Replaced my t-5 bulbs today..

Hopefully that will help with the green algae outbreak I've been having..

I added 3 yo-yo's last week, and am adding 2 more L-144 plecos to replace dear Fourfin this week..

My one Eheim 2217 filter is still leaking.. >:(

If I had the money I'd chuck it and get a Fluval!

Or make do with just one 2217.. :)

Paw Broon
06-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Your tank looks amazing can't believe i never seen it before, excellent job! :19:

doug z
06-19-2009, 07:11 PM

Hailey
06-19-2009, 09:05 PM
So, I am almost doing the same as you!
I am setting up a 75 gal freshwater planted tank!

And since you have gone through the whole thing already, thought you could help me out.
If you check out my journal you can see my basic idea, but I was wondering what your opinion was on substrate.
We are going to be using playsand, but have no idea what to use underneath. Now the reason were using playsand is because its cheap! lol
What do you think I should use underneath the sand that we can get away with only paying up to $40???
Is the laterite pricey? Would you even use it again? I remember you saying you wouldnt. What else would you use? Vermiculite?

LOL sorry for all the questions, its just I've gone through this journal a few times and am very jealous of the tank!
Thanks, Hailey

doug z
06-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Hey, Hailey..

I would never use laterite again..

Not the pure, powdered kind anyways..

Every time I replant or uproot something, I get laterite from the roots pulled up to the surface and clouding up everything for days..

From now on I'll just be using plenty of root tabs..

Or the granulated type ( https://communitypetsupply.com/ProductImages/images/970338-979464/970798.jpg ), and make sure I have 3" of substrate above it!

As for a substrate, I would use Eco-complete, myself, but if you're sure you want to use playsand, just use it and nothing but..

Nothing else needed unless you wanted to use the granulated laterite at the very bottom..

If you do, give it a rinse, and make sure you add water SLOWLY to the tank, and don't let little channels of water form that will dig right down to your laterite layer and cloud the water, even in a hard, granulated form..

Have 3-4 inches at the back, 1" at the front.. It will compact and even out over time, though, and there won't be much slope at all..

Stay away from cabomba! A real ugly weed unless you have the wattage to keep it happy..

Or at least plant them 3-4" away from each other.. That was my mistake..

I don't like this Alternanthera much either..

My next tank will be swords, crypts, anubias, and java moss and ferns..

I just don't have the wattage, even with 2.9wpg and pressurized CO2, for good stem plant growth it seems..

Any more questions, do not hesitate..

Hailey
06-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Alright, sounds like I wount use laterite. Im "messy" when I plant, so it doesnt sound like a good option for me. Also, I really doubt I can find the granulated type around here, bu will keep my eyes out.

So just using playsand and root tabs should be fine?

And ya, I tried cabomba once and didnt like it! I have stem plants in my 33 gal and dont like them either. They look ok now in my tank, but i hated them at the beginning, hard to keep them planted.

Oh also what kind of co2 system do you use? I have no idea what to do about that.

And I think thats about it, Thanks!

doug z
06-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Big Al's has it..

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/StoreCatalog/ctl3664/cp18061/si1316944/cl1/aquarium_pharmaceuticals_first_layer_pure_laterite _55oz?&query=laterite&queryType=0&hits=12&offset=

For CO2 I have a pressurized system..

Best place to get this is from J&L Aquatics in Burnaby..

http://www.jlaquatics.com

My system fits together like so:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/585/medium/co2_system_Large_.jpg

Except I use the discharge off my filter, rather than a water pump.

Here is a cheaper, simpler alternative:

http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/images/co2-system-diagram_zm.jpg

Ie, cheaper Milwaukee controller (critical, as the CO2 will cut off when it gets to a set ph and no lower, keeping your fish from trouble from high CO2 levels), and a diffuser ( http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co2-diffusers.html), rather than a reactor.. Dunno if J&L sells diffusers, though..

You will also need a timer ( http://www.bigalsonline.ca/StoreCatalog/ctl3664/cp18140/si1319970/cl1/coralife_power_centerwavemaker?&query=timer&queryType=0&hits=12&offset= ) , so that you can set it up so that when your lights go on, so does your ph controller, and thus, your CO2.. Just plug your controller into the same outlets your lights go into..

Then you plug your air pump into the opposite end with the separate timer, and the air will turn on as soon as the lights go off..

This way, the CO2 goes on when your plants need it (during the day), and the air goes on at night, when your plants need 02, as do your fish, more importantly..

Your pH will rise when the air goes on, which is normal, as the CO2 is purged from the tank by the O2 from your air stone.. And then in the morning the CO2 will turn on and it will come back down to where you set it, then turn off..

Have I totally blown your mind yet?

Please ask for clarification on any point I've mentioned so far..

Then we can go from there.. :)

But to sum up, you will need:

A CO2 cylinder (MIGHT be able to find used ones on BC Aquaria or other forums)

a regulator, needle valve, and solenoid.. This usually come as a set and J&L has them..

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/cr-ppmilreg/Milwaukee+CO2+Regulator+with+Needle+Valve+%26+Sole noid.html

a check valve J&L

CO2 resistant tubing J&L

CO2 diffuser Dunno if J&L sells these.. Might want to check the BC forums..

a pH controller J&L

a Timer

pH solutions to calibrate controller J&L

You could get lucky and get guys selling their whole systems..

Just be wary, as used stuff like regulators and controllers can be faulty!!!!!

Hailey
06-19-2009, 11:33 PM
OMG i cant think anymore right now, lol. I will go through it all slowly, and then get back to you if I need too.

Big time thanks for all this info, I would never have been able to figure it out myself, lol. I've never dealt with co2 before.

Umm, I dont need it, do I? I dont want all that trouble...lol

doug z
06-19-2009, 11:42 PM
For a 75, with T-5's??

'Fraid so.. :)

You could try getting away with just Flourish Excel and low light plants (LOTS of plants), but you run a good chance of heinous algae problems, and growth would be so-so at best..

Pressurized CO2 IS expensive initially, and a bit to wrap your head around..

But think of all the money you'll save on Flourish Excel, and dead fish replacements..

Healthy plants are going to make your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate fears a thing of the past (they suck up all three), AND it gives them places to hide when stressed..

domjd05
06-19-2009, 11:54 PM
This tank is awesome, great job!

Hailey
06-20-2009, 12:36 AM
well im not sure when I'll be able to get the co2, if at all...

doug z
06-20-2009, 12:42 AM
Might want to hold off on the plants till you do..

Or at least LOTS of low light fast growers..

Java moss and ferns, vals, hornwort, etc..

And make sure you have BN's in there..

Hailey
06-20-2009, 01:20 AM
This was my plant list...

1 Anubias nana =$5
4 Echinodorus quadricostatus = $12
1 Eleocharis parvula =$8
8 stems of Heteranthera zosterifolia = $4
1 Juncus repens = $10
10 stems of Limnophila sessiliflora = $2.50
4 Pogostemon helferi = $8
oh and a pot of micro sword

and a bunch of free mystery plants

wouldnt they be fine?

doug z
06-20-2009, 01:23 AM
How much wattage for the tank?

Hailey
06-20-2009, 01:53 AM
option #1- T5, 67k bulbs, total 108w= 1.44 WpG

option #2- companct flouresent, 65k, 50/50 bulbs, 260w= 3.46 WpG

option #3- compact folouresent, 65k, 50/50 bulbs, 192w= 2.56WpG

doug z
06-20-2009, 02:37 AM
Huh..

Looks like compact florescents WOULD be the way to go, but for the cons the others mentioned in your other post..

I've never dealt with them, so I don't know..

What was the cost of one dual bulb T-5 fixture again?

Might want to get 2..

at 1.44 about the plants that would be ok is the Limnophila sessiliflora (bit of a cabomba like weed, I hear), the Eleocharis parvula, and the Pogostemon helferi.

The anubias nana would be ok, too (I would get more than one), but would get covered with algae soon..

What's the planting plan?

Sounds a little busy.. Might want to trim the list down to 3-4..

Hailey
06-20-2009, 03:21 AM
Oh, ok well then how about

2 Anubias nana
1 pot of Eleocharis parvula
8 Heteranthera zosterifolia
and either 1 Juncus repens or/and 3 Pogostemon helferi
and 1 pot of micro sword? he has to order this in, but was just going to give me a bit of stuff he had that was like micro sword, but grew faster and had narrower leaves, for free... so i prob wount need the micro sword

would that be better?

Im not 100% on the planting plan either cause thats my weak point, lol

The T5 lighting is only $100 to buy and ship, the others are $200.
the company with the T5 also has that in a 4 bulb fixture, which is what I want, but its out of stock until september...for $150 (buy and ship)

doug z
06-20-2009, 03:31 AM
Again, it would depend on the wattage..

Like I said, only those plants I listed would do so-so with the t-5 you mentioned (if you only got one fixture)..

What type of layout do you like?

U shaped?

What do you want as the focal point? A plant, or a piece of wood or rock?

Here's some pretty good articles on layout design:

http://www.aquajournal.net/na/basics/basics_03.html

http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2006/11/golden-rule-of-aquascaping.html

And one of my favourites about focal points and layout:

http://freshaquarium.about.com/library/weekly/aa122203a.htm

Hailey
06-20-2009, 03:38 AM
thanks for the links, I'll read them better in a bit...I think i like U shaped or mounded...

But say I got the option #3 2.56 WpG, would the plants be fine?

and for the aqauscaping, Im am still looking for a nice piece of driftwood, also for some rocks, I wrote about it in my journal, if you want to post there instead of on yours! lol
:threadjacked:

doug z
06-20-2009, 03:53 AM
2.56 wpg would be good..

All those plants would do ok, if not great (without the CO2) with that..

Yeah, guess it would make sense to go to YOUR journal.. :)

D'oyyyyyy...

Hailey
06-20-2009, 04:00 AM
I know eh!? lol

Well thanks so much for all the help!!! It helps more than you could imagine! lol

doug z
08-22-2009, 08:33 PM
I phoned Big Al's to see about replacing my leaky 2217..

I explained the problem, and they said it;s because I haven't been lubing the gasket with Vaseline or silicon..

Huh..

Sooooo.. I ordered 2 new gaskets for either filter, and went and got some un-scented Vaseline..

We'll see if this works!

Was looking forward to just buying a Rena.. LOL

Oh well, maybe for my 25g..

Red
09-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Where have you been doug?

doug z
09-22-2009, 05:34 PM
LOL

Miss me? :)

I'm around now and again on the site now and again, and make comments where I can be of help, etc..

But yeah, definitely not a s much as before.. Alot of stuff is happening in RL.. I'm getting laid off in a few days here, so scrambling a bit to look for another job.. We're moving in a week to a new house.. Renting, and it's $100 more than the condo we rent now, but it has 2 wood burning fireplaces, a backyard, a dishwasher, so worth it..

My tank is doing all right.. I got a CAE and another britlenose.. The CAE IS a bully, though.. Keeps chasing my SAE.. So I think when we move I'll put him in the 25g I set up in my son's room.. Nothing in there but 6 zebras..

I also added some Julii cory.. The pandas and them get along famously!

I'm going to try a bit of a different aquascape when I set up the new tank.. Not sure what, yet, though..

Oh, I've also been getting in shape, so I've been chronicling it on a fitness forum, asking questions, etc.. So that's kept me busy, too..

I've lost 43 lbs over 4 months (230 to 187).. Never want to see another chicken breast or egg white as long as I live!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm going to try and stay at the same weight and add some muscle slowly (1 lbs a month is the target).. :)

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/dougzdanivsky/spartanprincebetter.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/dougzdanivsky/sidemerged.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/dougzdanivsky/sidelastdayof09diet.jpg

gabbyguppy
09-22-2009, 07:00 PM
WOW! You look GREAT! 43 pounds in 4 months........I need the name of that fitness forum!

Karen

doug z
09-22-2009, 07:37 PM
WOW! You look GREAT!

The diet I was on was the Rapid Fat Loss Diet, created by Lyle Macdonald, if you're interested..

Red
09-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Congrats doug, I am sorry about your job though. Glad to see you back!

doug z
09-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Congrats doug, I am sorry about your job though. Glad to see you back!

Like I say, I never really left..

Just not on as much, and not much to comment on when I do show up, lately..

Yeah, sucks about the job.. Been 14 years at it, my first ever.. I basically fell into it (I worked as a summer student there, and my dad worked there).

Gonna be weird actively seeking one out..

Red
09-25-2009, 02:56 PM
yeah, are you going to look for another factory job?

doug z
09-25-2009, 04:22 PM
yeah, are you going to look for another factory job?

Not sure yet..

I'll look for some first aid jobs up North, maybe try to get on with the ambulance service.. Been working at a pulp mill for 14 years.. Time for something different..