PDA

View Full Version : Tank Set-Up Journals

doug z
08-22-2008, 04:45 AM
Can we look at this again?

Would really like to be able to show the equipment used, how the work progressed, the growth of the plants, discuss what I did wrong..

cocoa_pleco
08-22-2008, 04:46 AM
awesome idea, a saltwater forum i browse one has a tank chronicles section. would be good to have freshwater, saltwater, and brackish sections

Boertjie
08-22-2008, 04:56 AM
Very good idea. That can help others as well.

Sounguru
08-22-2008, 05:14 AM
Biggest thing is we need to be able update the title with the most current date so people can look at the title and go Oh that's new

doug z
08-22-2008, 05:42 AM
Oh, and in case it's not clear, if it could be in it's own sub-section, say in the "Other Aquarium Related" section..

Gemstone
08-22-2008, 08:25 AM
That is a very good idea you have there, Doug.:19:

angelcakes
08-22-2008, 08:34 AM
good idea doug.............:19: :19:

tanks4thememories
08-22-2008, 09:06 AM
isnt it kinda what you put in your blog page?

Sounguru
08-22-2008, 09:09 AM
With Blogs you don't get feedback as quick or often so most people peter out on keeping them up to date... My Guru Aquatic Thread is a good example of something I would run the Journal section. Even though thru time it would cover more than one tank it is still a journal of what I'm doing.

Lady Hobbs
08-22-2008, 12:47 PM
I would think keeping your own journal going then when it is finished, mistakes made, things redone and project finished.......then would be a good time to post your story.

I think reading everyones blow by blow account of every single thing that happens in their tank, their equipment, their setting up, errors, re-do's, etc, would be very, very boring to read. Then add that by 4000 members.

aughhhhhhhhhh

This is what the blog is for. Your personal diary and story. OR......a webpage.

Sounguru
08-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Sorry Hobbs disagree on that one. Some of the most popular threads on several of the forums I visit are the Journals of tank builds. I find it interesting and steal ideas from them all the time. Watching a project unfold over time and the mistakes made as it goes along are kind of cool. Plus posting as you go helps keep people inspired to finish the project.

Another big bennie for journals is say as you are building you come to a point where you are stuck you can ask for instant feedback, you are not hoping someone comes along and post a comment on your blog or webpage, because even when you ask for feedback on those all the answers are usually cool website or nice blog. Now as one problem is solved it rolls into another like say plant placement rolls into equipment placement which rolls into CO2 injection amount. So basically instwead of 3 different threads you are getting all the answers in one place that someone can come along and read that maybe having the same issues.

Plus as things go thru there cycle you can see it and it may help you to avoid or copy the results in your own builds.

Also people are more likely to post in short burst instead of trying to type out a whole 6 month or longer setup at one sitting. Not every member is going to read them and for those that find them boring or too long then that is your choice. I would just say I have learned more from journals than I have any other type of thread.

doug z
08-22-2008, 05:20 PM
I can say for a fact that blogs do NOT get read that often, here or anywhere else..

And I think people would get alot more feedback on their progress with a journal..

PUNISHER VETTE
08-22-2008, 05:29 PM
My blog is basically a picture album of my tanks progress over the past few months....

To me i don't see why that is any different then a normal thread.

tanks4thememories
08-22-2008, 05:41 PM
I would think keeping your own journal going then when it is finished, mistakes made, things redone and project finished.......then would be a good time to post your story.

I think reading everyones blow by blow account of every single thing that happens in their tank, their equipment, their setting up, errors, re-do's, etc, would be very, very boring to read. Then add that by 4000 members.

aughhhhhhhhhh

This is what the blog is for. Your personal diary and story. OR......a webpage.

gotcha :hmm3grin2orange:

cocoa_pleco
08-22-2008, 05:45 PM
heres a example on the saltwater forum. the tank chronicles section is actually visited alot, its where i get alot of aquascaping ideas

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/

Sounguru
08-22-2008, 05:52 PM
My blog is basically a picture album of my tanks progress over the past few months....

To me i don't see why that is any different then a normal thread.

You just nailed the problem on the head... I didn't even know you had a blog.:hmm3grin2orange:

So if you had ? or problems or even to just show off I would never have known. Take Doug's 6 month trek to build his tank I would love to have watched it all unfold in one thread, but now I would have to go hunt down who knows how many threads to get the whole story.

Nice thing about journals if they are updated regularly is say you build a tank 3 months later it starts to crash you have no idea why, your yelling for help in a panic. Then Joe Schmoe comes along and after reading the thing goes "hey back on page 6 you did so and so could that be the root cause of your problem?" Where if it was scattered Joe would just say "whoa dude that sucks.... Hey did you read that last post by Guru wasn't that a real dozzie dude?"

Now we can start journals here easy enough but not being able to edit the subject line to show the latest update is the major hang up to a good journal. So the only real change would be the ability to change the first post so the title could be changed.

CAllain
08-22-2008, 06:41 PM
I actually have had a journal going on another forum, that I started around Jan/Feb when I was setting up my tank, and still update with any progress/new photos now. It's got 10 pages, and admittedly there aren't loads of replies each time, but some people do seem interested (people have even asked me for updates if I haven't posted for a while).

It may not be for everyone, but for some people I think it's a good idea...

Tolley
08-22-2008, 06:47 PM
I don't get it are you asking for a new forum?

CAllain
08-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Uhm... I don't even know... I just gave my thoughts on journals. Whether a new forum is required I don't know. In the other site I have it in the photo's section (as it was a photo journal)

Tolley
08-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Ok I was jsut wondering what Doug was asking for. I have seen threads on here showing the progress of a setup like this one http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=16998

If it is a forum your asking for like a place for all setup threads to be posted sounds like a good idea. I enjoy reading threads with progress of setting up and that so keeping them all in one place would be good.

doug z
08-22-2008, 06:55 PM
I think I'll start one, and people can have a look at what I mean, and if the powers that be think it's something positive, they can move it to the new *finger's crossed* journal section..

Tolley
08-22-2008, 06:56 PM
woah posted same time. lol

Sounguru
08-22-2008, 07:08 PM
A new area on the forum for them and the ability to change the title so we can show when the last update was

William
08-22-2008, 08:57 PM
I will consider it and give a reply in a few days.

Sounguru
08-22-2008, 09:00 PM
I will consider it and give a reply in a few days.

Thanks William now about the photo section I mentioned before....:14:

William
08-22-2008, 09:05 PM
HAHA. I still want to encourage using the phot gallery but I will consider that as well.

CAllain
08-22-2008, 09:20 PM
I tried the photo gallery, and after a looong time managed to load 1 photo, then couldn't manage to get any more on... maybe I just need a tutorial but a photo section seems easier to manage

(sorry if I'm giving Sounguru too much encouragement)

Sounguru
08-22-2008, 09:21 PM
I don't need the encouagement I can be a pain with out it ... but it is nice to know people care.....:-)

William
08-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Tutorial: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=13138

;-)

cocoa_pleco
08-22-2008, 09:35 PM
to speed it up, you can load your pics to photobucket, then on AC's photo gallery on the bottom right, paste in the link of your photobucket album in "upload from a URL" and your whole album will get loaded on

doug z
08-22-2008, 10:09 PM
Ok, my journal is up..

Let's see what the mods and William think..

I spent hours on it, so please give it a look!!!! LOL

Lady Hobbs
08-22-2008, 10:43 PM
I like the way you did it. Lots of pictures and your posts all consecutive like in a story line.

doug z
08-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks!

Took me forever to go over all the pics and get it all in a sequential order..

Lady Hobbs
08-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Doug, is that a type-o on the Laterite? 25 lbs? That is a LOT.

I just got a chart off the net that says for an 87 gallon tank that you should use about 2 pounds of laterite. I always heard you use a very light dusting of it. Could explain why your tank will not clear up for you.

doug z
08-22-2008, 11:51 PM
Doug, is that a type-o on the Laterite? 25 lbs? That is a LOT.

Dave66 put 50lbs of it in HIS 75g! LOL

Dave has his reasons for recommending the amount he does..

I can't find the details of the convo. we had, though..

I don't think I'll ever use it again, though..

Or if I do, I'll use the granular form, or just use Flourish Tabs..

You have to be so careful not the disturb the top layer of Eco-complete!! >:(

Anyways, I bought 50lbs of it, but after putting in the 5th five pound bag, I figured I had enough.. :)

Tank is looking clearer still, today..

Looking like a bloom more that will go away, from what I've read, in a few weeks..

Still looking forward to when the diatom filter gets here..

Will get things right clear, right quick..

Sounguru
08-23-2008, 02:49 AM
Okay having 2 threads to comment on a journal kind of defeats the purpose of a journal.

What I see a journal is a place that is a running commentary of what you are doing where people respond and give feedback as the project moves forward. that way people can read from day one until the final day all the progress made and input/questions of those that chimed in.

Having 2 seperate threads is just a how I did this thread and a comment thread not a journal.

Here are some examples of journals....

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-journals-photo-album/71201-30g-journal-new-additions-new-pics.html

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-journals-photo-album/

doug z
08-23-2008, 02:55 AM
that way people can read from day one until the final day all the progress made and input/questions of those that chimed in.

Hmm.. Good point..

I'll get William to get rid off the other one..

PUNISHER VETTE
08-23-2008, 03:37 AM
so basically it's the same as a blog but instead of peoples comments on the topic posted it's overall?

looks like a blog to me....

doug z
08-23-2008, 03:53 AM
I'm not going to bother posting pics on my blog..

And I hate having to comb through my blog, seeing if anyone's made a comment that I've not replied to..

AND I'm not going to post every little thing that happens with my tank on my journal, like I usually do with my blog, to keep track of stuff, etc..

tanks4thememories
08-23-2008, 03:59 AM
to speed it up, you can load your pics to photobucket, then on AC's photo gallery on the bottom right, paste in the link of your photobucket album in "upload from a URL" and your whole album will get loaded on

I have never gotten it to work directly from my computer.

smaug
08-23-2008, 04:02 AM
Im so confused:c11: What are you doing dougy boy?A blog by any other name,HA!Are you ever gonna just be able to set back and enjoy your tank,?Here:11: have a balloon and chill out.:c2:

doug z
08-23-2008, 04:04 AM
A blog by any other name

So you check my blog regularly?

You DON'T care how the tank progresses?

Ok... :(

;)

tanks4thememories
08-23-2008, 04:09 AM
I'm not going to bother posting pics on my blog..

And I hate having to comb through my blog, seeing if anyone's made a comment that I've not replied to..

AND I'm not going to post every little thing that happens with my tank on my journal, like I usually do with my blog, to keep track of stuff, etc..

I think the major issue is being able to find information. To me just 1 Blog gives you 1 place to search and if you set your comments to notify you via e-mail as some blogs allow then you will always know when someone comments on a post.

On my blog I keep issues and on the side I keep important links and tank setups. That works for me. I find the big deal is how you lable each entry so that they are search able. Then I guess if I wanted to assemble a how to or similar doc I would just go to one place and harvest the important info and post it into a new blog.

smaug
08-23-2008, 04:10 AM
I look at all the blogs,the blogs are one of the better features of this forum.I think your doing a great job but your too hard on yourself,here:11: have another balloon,you can never have too many.

doug z
08-23-2008, 04:21 AM
if you set your comments to notify you via e-mail as some blogs allow then you will always know when someone comments on a post.

Yes, that'd be good..

But it's not an option on this forum, as far as I know..

Sounguru
08-23-2008, 04:39 AM
so basically it's the same as a blog but instead of peoples comments on the topic posted it's overall?

looks like a blog to me....

Basically it is and it isn't...

Most blogs are for just making observations about this and that not for garnering feedback. A Journal is a blow by blow account that people can chime in on so providing instant feedback from "that a boys" to "that looks like utter carpola"...(yes fish pun intended)

Journals are also more out front in the fact that they are usually a part of the main forum page so when a post is made to one it will appear in the New Posts just as if it were a regular thread. Not stuck in some dusty corner of the server waiting for the case to be opened and the dust bunnies removed. This will usually garner more feedback because people are made aware that there is an update. That is why being able to change the title to show the latest update is a big thing.

Now a good Journal section will have a mod willing to prune journals that have gone dead (this maybe the hang up on the idea if no mod is willing to step up and do it). Usually they will be moved to an archive section after 3-6 months of no activity so people can still view them but comments can no longer be made. If someone returns and wants to bring back their journal the mod would move it back to active status.

The mod would also be responsible for making sure that the journals are journals not just hey look this is what I did threads those would belong in a section like Tank Setup.

On this form I have a journal going called Guru's Aquatics (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=28455) what it is is an ongoing diary of the many things I have going related to the fish keeping hobby. Now as I start doing more complicated setups I will break those out into thier own journals so it will make it easier to follow if you choose to do so. Also I would start a photo journal that would be a place for me to put all of my aquatic photos in one thread instead of scattered across the board, because to be real honest with you I have not found a gallery in any forum I like the layout of. Although this one is one of the better ones it is still cumbersome to upload to and then you have to link back or say hey go look I added more to my album. Since I am building a website of photos I have taken it is easier for me to upload all my photos and hotlink the ones I want to here and not upload twice.

The reason I prefer journals to Blogs is journals are more personal since they are more free flowing with the constant feedback and input from others.

I hope that clears up some of the confusion between a blog and a journal as I see it....

tanks4thememories
08-23-2008, 06:20 AM
Basically it is and it isn't...

Most blogs are for just making observations about this and that not for garnering feedback. A Journal is a blow by blow account that people can chime in on so providing instant feedback from "that a boys" to "that looks like utter carpola"...(yes fish pun intended)

Journals are also more out front in the fact that they are usually a part of the main forum page so when a post is made to one it will appear in the New Posts just as if it were a regular thread. Not stuck in some dusty corner of the server waiting for the case to be opened and the dust bunnies removed. This will usually garner more feedback because people are made aware that there is an update. That is why being able to change the title to show the latest update is a big thing.

Now a good Journal section will have a mod willing to prune journals that have gone dead (this maybe the hang up on the idea if no mod is willing to step up and do it). Usually they will be moved to an archive section after 3-6 months of no activity so people can still view them but comments can no longer be made. If someone returns and wants to bring back their journal the mod would move it back to active status.

The mod would also be responsible for making sure that the journals are journals not just hey look this is what I did threads those would belong in a section like Tank Setup.

On this form I have a journal going called Guru's Aquatics (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=28455) what it is is an ongoing diary of the many things I have going related to the fish keeping hobby. Now as I start doing more complicated setups I will break those out into thier own journals so it will make it easier to follow if you choose to do so. Also I would start a photo journal that would be a place for me to put all of my aquatic photos in one thread instead of scattered across the board, because to be real honest with you I have not found a gallery in any forum I like the layout of. Although this one is one of the better ones it is still cumbersome to upload to and then you have to link back or say hey go look I added more to my album. Since I am building a website of photos I have taken it is easier for me to upload all my photos and hotlink the ones I want to here and not upload twice.

The reason I prefer journals to Blogs is journals are more personal since they are more free flowing with the constant feedback and input from others.

I hope that clears up some of the confusion between a blog and a journal as I see it....

Well said...thanx:19:

PUNISHER VETTE
08-23-2008, 06:27 AM
Don't the blogs get put to the top of the blog page when the original poster updates it? That would keep it from getting lost in the messes.

I guess what you need is a better link to peoples blog on the main page...which would be a journal. That way more people would view and hopefully respond to them more.

Sounguru
08-23-2008, 07:00 AM
To make the blog page into a journal an update would need to appear as a New post and comments would have to be seen by all.

Edit I just went and checked out a few blogs #1 all comments are hidden you have to go look for them and then click on the comments link to see them... #2 of all the blogs I look at there were very few comments left so basically no feedback at all.

Lady Hobbs
08-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Don't the blogs get put to the top of the blog page when the original poster updates it? That would keep it from getting lost in the messes.

I guess what you need is a better link to peoples blog on the main page...which would be a journal. That way more people would view and hopefully respond to them more.

Click on any members name in their posts and there is a direct link to their blog there.

PUNISHER VETTE
08-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Click on any members name in their posts and there is a direct link to their blog there.

Yeah. I'm just saying I'm pretty sure the Blogs we have now are almost exactly what they are wanting in a Journal...

They just want more people to get involved....

It already updates to the top of the blog list when the user posts, it can already receive comments instantly...although it's not used enough i guess.

Tolley
08-23-2008, 04:27 PM
If you think not enough people are reading/commenting your tnaks progress perhaps it's because they are not bothered!

If someone wants to read your progress and comment they will find where it is and do as they want.

I like to read Dougs blog because it is cool seeing his progress. It is easy to see when he has a new one as it shows in the 'latest entries' I don't think i comment that much because i dont have anything to comment on. I'm not gonna start commenting just because its ina journal.

doug z
08-24-2008, 01:01 AM
Oh yeah, this may be stating the obvious, but a journal of a specific tank is quite different than a blog, especially if a person has multiple tanks, and tends to put reminders, etc for himself on his blog as well, like I do..